Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
M_W

Quake OST on Vinyl

Oh damn its actually being released now? I remember it being announced years ago and nothing coming of it. DEFINITELY going to be ordering this

If I was a vinyl collector, I would've been right on this. Either way, it's cool that Quake's OST is getting the treatment.

21 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

Why vinyl? I want it on CD?

You can get it on CD by ordering a copy of OG Quake from eBay, since the CD includes the entire soundtrack alongside the game. But that's admittedly likely to be more expensive.

52 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

Why vinyl? I want it on CD? It's among my fav NIN records anyway.

It's been Reznor's preferred medium for a long time - he was never very keen on CDs.

5 minutes ago, Master O said:

The next thing Trent can do is get the OST included alongside the GOG release of Quake 1.

It still burns my ass that they haven't fixed the soundtrack for the Steam versions of Quake and Quake 2.

IIRC Trent Reznor's work on Quake has little to do with him and more to do with whatever label he was with at the time. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

I’ve been waiting for this for years and there’s very little that would stop me buying it but they found my red lines

• too goddamn expensive in the UK. £40, or 160% the USD price
  • track title “it is raped”. Urgh seriously 

23 minutes ago, M_W said:

IIRC Trent Reznor's work on Quake has little to do with him and more to do with whatever label he was with at the time. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

well he composed all the music.

Yeah the UK price is bit outrageous (not to mention the ridiculous postage cost). But as with pretty much every other record they've put out over the past few years, I expect it won't be too long before it's available elsewhere for a better price.

I would have preferred the tracks to remain officially untitled - never really understood the excitement around getting proper titles.

Awesome that he remastered it! Too bad I anit got nothing that plays Vinyl anymore. lol.  Looks a bit pricey, but whatever.

2 hours ago, Jon said:

well he composed all the music.

Sorry, I left out, like, half the words I needed to make a complete thought.

I think the issues with the Quake soundtrack not being included in the games (GOG initially released Quake with the soundtrack configured and working and had to change it) has to do with his old record label. Again, vague memories here.

Just now, M_W said:

Sorry, I left out, like, half the words I needed to make a complete thought.

I think the issues with the Quake soundtrack not being included in the games (GOG initially released Quake with the soundtrack configured and working and had to change it) has to do with his old record label. Again, vague memories here.

I understood it was for technical reasons. I doubt that licencing issues are the reason why the Steam version of Q2 lacks its amazing soundtrack. I assumed that it was the same for the original Quake.

The GOG version of Quake launched with the soundtrack 100% working out of the box and had to disable it after the fact. I remember, because I bought it on GOG day 1.

EDIT: I'm talking about their DOSBox package. It had working music and got updated to unlink the disk image. Presumably due to a legal threat.

3 minutes ago, Gez said:

What the heck is "Side C" on a vinyl album?

There are 2 LPs in the package. So it's the second LP.

First side of the second LP, to be precise. A shame they've not spread it over all four sides. 

8 hours ago, M_W said:

There are 2 LPs in the package. So it's the second LP.

This is disappointingly simple.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

That's more like what I expected.

7 hours ago, Jon said:

Perhaps there’ll be a nice etching on side D. 

A recording of track #1 from the original CD.

Alright, that is really cool. But $30 for a record seems really steep; I remember buying Prettty Hate Machine on vinyl in the early 2000's for around $12. Which was 3 or 4 dollars less than what they were charging for the CD. It's odd that vinyl used to cost less than CD's, now it costs far more.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have a copy of the Quake OST on vinyl, but I'm not paying $30 plus shipping for it. I still have the original disc around here somewhere, so I'll just listen to that. It's not like it was an amazing soundtrack that I would sit down and listen to, unlike Quake 2's soundtrack, it was just ambient music. So it's cool, but it's like $15 cool.