Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Back to Saturn X Episode 2 is out of beta! (v1.0.1 Aug 13, 2020)

4 hours ago, Paul977 said:

On map 22 an imp (thing 566) is placed outside of the map

You can kill it through a window in the adjacent secret.

On 8/17/2020 at 8:32 PM, Gez said:

Probably not, if the aim is to have episode 3 on the Bethesda roster of official add-ons. Since these ports do not support DEHACKED modifications, custom actors become extremely unlikely.

I'm not sure how Cleimos II got away with its silly tank. Was Dehacked available at the time?

56 minutes ago, Budoka said:

I'm not sure how Cleimos II got away with its silly tank. Was Dehacked available at the time?

While dehacked did exist ~1995, Cleimos II doesn't actually have anything dehacked, it only changed the sprites. 

I got both episodes of the Mod on my nintendo switch. How exactly am I going to WadSmoosh the two episodes, split into two files each, into my personal WadSmoosh copy where it will be with the other official DLC as well as things releated to DTWID?

I'm playing this on the latest version of GZDoom and it seems like on Map19 (Unbaited Vicar of Scorched Earth) there's a bug preventing two Archviles from spawning in, making the map impossible to 100% without cheats. Watching someone else's playthrough where the bug is not present, it seems they are supposed to spawn right after you take the first teleporter near the rocket launcher, just before the supercharge and the blue key.

None of the compat flags I try seems to fix it, but I was playing it on Doom (Strict) when I first noticed it. I'm loading it with DoomLauncher.exe using the ZIP file directly, and it is version 1.0.1. No other mods except the high quality sound pack.

When I noclipped my way into the room where they're usually in, I could not get out through any means, but when I noclipped into the next chamber, I was able to teleport out.

8 hours ago, YaGirlJuniper said:

I'm playing this on the latest version of GZDoom and it seems like on Map19 (Unbaited Vicar of Scorched Earth) there's a bug preventing two Archviles from spawning in, making the map impossible to 100% without cheats.[...]

This was already reported, it's present in idgames version and affects all sourceports. Just a silly teleporter destination screwup we made while doing quick last-minute changes while rushing the release and forgot to test it.

Hello there!  I started playing through this again and seem to have run into a bug with Map 06, "Useless Inventions".  I've explored everywhere and tagged all secrets, yet there are six cacodemons that never teleported in from their "holding cells" outside the map.  I'm running GZDoom 4.4.2 with default compatibility.  Thanks!

Screenshot 2020-09-16 222733.png

On 9/16/2020 at 7:31 PM, Bytefyre said:

Hello there!  I started playing through this again and seem to have run into a bug with Map 06, "Useless Inventions".  I've explored everywhere and tagged all secrets, yet there are six cacodemons that never teleported in from their "holding cells" outside the map.  I'm running GZDoom 4.4.2 with default compatibility.  Thanks!

I had to edit my response, because Bytefyre is correct.

these cacos never show up,

Edited by Kappes Buur : added screenshot

45 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Those cacos have a 50/50 chance to teleport to any one of 2 sectors.

bqAIxKW.png

Are you sure you looked in the right sectors?

After all, those are not the only cacos.

Thanks for the quick reply!  Yes, I'm certain...at this point, I've got 238/244 kills after Pain Elemental-spawned Lost Souls and Arch-vile resurrections were added to the total count.  Those six cacos are the only enemies remaining at this point.  I tried revisiting both sectors indicated and they didn't spawn in.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:45 PM, Bytefyre said:

Thanks for the quick reply!  Yes, I'm certain...at this point, I've got 238/244 kills after Pain Elemental-spawned Lost Souls and Arch-vile resurrections were added to the total count.  Those six cacos are the only enemies remaining at this point.  I tried revisiting both sectors indicated and they didn't spawn in.

I had to edit my response, because Bytefyre is correct.

these cacos never show up,

It was  the cacos in the next sector to the south which came into play, not the ones from the trap.

Edited by Kappes Buur

12 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

The mechanism is such that the player has to cross one of those two linedefs before the cacos can be released.

HR2kyiH.png

That's quite a clever setup, lowering the 'emprisoning' sectors.

[edit]

It takes a while but they do show up eventually, either 4 or 6 depending on difficulty setting.

WAZy6eY.png

I've tried walking through both of those linedefs numerous times, even punching the air as I did so...no cacos.

really really really weird bug on console version. On map 21 (on PS4 on ITYTD), I collected the blue key, and went up the lift where I was greeted by several imps, a shotgunner, and a caco, then when I hit the button in front, the Archie pops out. I took him out, then went to another room on the same level, with a revenant. Soon, I backed up, and went to the Archie room, when the screen glitched. I assumed that it was some sort of input lag (though I turned Vsync off), but then, it turned out that I teleported to a huge room with a bunch of Cyberdemons and Mancubi, and revenants on the side. None of which had been woken up. So, I decided to save, and this was a different map slot. There was no screen that separates the two levels, so I immediately knew it was a glitch. Then, I checked the DOOM Wiki to see if I was sent to the secret level after 15 (if so, I would just choose the level I was on, then give myself all weapons). Turned out, I was right. It said it was slot 28, (even though the doom wiki says it is slot 31). I don't actually think this was a glitch the team made, but the Unity port itself. Did this happen to anybody else?

18 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

There was no screen that separates the two levels, so I immediately knew it was a glitch.

This is one of the main sticking points of your description. It is impossible not to have a status intermission between two levels, this is an absolute (well aside from using IDCLEV but you'd have to have typed that and it will still give you a screen wipe). Yes, even in the "Unity" port, it's still the same engine no matter how you twist it so all the same rules apply. I'm having troubles understanding the rest of your description as well.

Edited by Edward850

6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

It is impossible not to have a status intermission between two levels, this is an absolute

Then the levels must somehow be connected, or there is something different in the code. There was no intermission screen, just a screen lag, then teleporting to the level. I think I might have also been in pistol start. 

29 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Then the levels must somehow be connected, or there is something different in the code. There was no intermission screen, just a screen lag, then teleporting to the level. I think I might have also been in pistol start. 

Have you tried to replay the first map you were playing before the strage glitch happened?
If the glitch happens again, well that something to look up.

42 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Then the levels must somehow be connected, or there is something different in the code.

Nope (remember this is vanilla, that concept didn't exist until Hexen and Strife) and the code isn't any different. As P41R47 suggested, you'll want to try and reproduce this in detail, it sounds more like you are either mistaken about a detail or missing something crucial, but it's not obvious as to what from your present description.

16 hours ago, Bytefyre said:

I've tried walking through both of those linedefs numerous times, even punching the air as I did so...no cacos.

That did not give me any rest, so I went back to MAP06 and eliminated everything which was not required. I believe, I found out why those cacos do not appear. The control sectors do lower when crossing the linedefs, but the cacos never move from their spot. Therefore they do not cross the teleport line, ergo the discrepancy in the total monster killed.

I tried MAP06 in ZDoom v2.8.1 and the cacos can't teleport out either. But the closets work fine in vanilla engines. I suspect it must be fault of ZDoom engine handling either monster movement or linedef walk-though actions slightly differently. Extending the closet by a few units seems to be an easy fix, so we'll get it done in the next update.

5 hours ago, tchkb said:

I tried MAP06 in ZDoom v2.8.1 and the cacos can't teleport out either. But the closets work fine in vanilla engines. I suspect it must be fault of ZDoom engine handling either monster movement or linedef walk-though actions slightly differently. Extending the closet by a few units seems to be an easy fix, so we'll get it done in the next update.

Great, thank you!

18 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Nope (remember this is vanilla, that concept didn't exist until Hexen and Strife) and the code isn't any different. As P41R47 suggested, you'll want to try and reproduce this in detail, it sounds more like you are either mistaken about a detail or missing something crucial, but it's not obvious as to what from your present description.

did it again, no glitch. And there was definitely no screen between the 2 levels (I'm 1000% certain). I went back and no glitch, so I think it was something with my PS4 itself (the game had an error screen after a minutes of playing map 28). 

I just played through Map 08 again...I know I brought this up here when I was playing the beta, but in case it was missed, no backtracking after beating the map?  Really?  I actually missed one of the secrets this time, and I really don't want to play the map over again to get it legitimately.  Any chance you guys can add a teleporter somewhere in the final arena or a lift to get out of the blue area and back into the main part of the map in the next version?

I'm on the last level (well, official level, I assume that the last one will be like the last level in Ep. 1, with no monsters, and just a To Be Continued sign). The Arch-vile map felt like what the Arch-vile maze from Plutonia should have been like. Really good! I loved the last hub map, I don't know how Xaser does it! the lava through the room in the original rooms literally made me go "Wow!" Great job team, can't wait for episode 3!

Bugs in map20, spoilered

Spoiler

If you unlock the exit gate with just the red key, then do the secret teleporter chain, you get stuck in sector 304. It needs a way to open it from the inside.

The funny thing is, going the other way, getting the other two keys instead, there's a switch to open sector 1604 from the inside. So someone must have realised the problem, and added a workaround. But for only one of the routes.

Also on the teleporter chain, lines 7882-4 face the wrong way, outwards, away from the teleporter destination. So you run to the blue armour, and instead of teleporting again, you just keep on going, over the waterfall edge.

demos to illustrate

Is anyone experiencing playing this mod with Vanilla doom that you cannot save with:

Savegame buffer overrun

Memory allocation error

I tried it on 2 machines with DOS, DOSBOX, Win98 all the same. 

5 minutes ago, TheDemonatorLol said:

Is anyone experiencing playing this mod with Vanilla doom that you cannot save with:

Savegame buffer overrun

Memory allocation error

I tried it on 2 machines with DOS, DOSBOX, Win98 all the same. 

This is a known bug already from most modern megawads on vanilla.

Even when there is no visplane overflow or any map overflow, there are too much things on the map, so they have a savegamebuffer overflow.
They are vanilla compatible, yes. But you cannot save in some maps because of that same thing.

Play it in chocolate-Doom with and change the seting of the savegame buffer.
You will have the exact same experience and it will let you save wherever and whenever you need it. 

I don't know if you're still fixing bugs, but I found missing textures on Map15.  Locations below:

Spoiler

NWd26MC.jpg

PAwFfFv.jpg

xwal0gd.jpg?1

By the way, this map was a blast!  Possibly my favorite of the two episodes so far.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

They are vanilla compatible, yes. But you cannot save in some maps because of that same thing.

Interesting... Is someone nowadays trying to keep their wads truly vanilla without overflows like this?

1 hour ago, dmslr said:

Interesting... Is someone nowadays trying to keep their wads truly vanilla without overflows like this?

Yes, there are.
REKKR, Doom Zero, Doom 404, and Three is a Crowd are good examples of ''totally'' compatible.

But there are other modern megawads that are completelly vanilla doom compatible for sure.

I may be a little out of scope when i said ''most modern vanilla megawads'', but truth to be said, ''vanilla compatible'' today is more like chocolate compatible. And as it has the option to bypass the savebuffer overflow...
Example of this are the 2 BTSX and TNT: Revilution, and i may be wrong but i think that Interception later maps suffer from this, too.

Surely there are more.

Hello! I've been playing this WAD for the last few weeks and wrote down some comments as I went. Generally had a blast!

I'm playing on ultra-violence, pistol start, using ZDoom v2.7.1 and BTSX2 1.0.1.

Playing blind, though I'll explore the remainder of the map if I die quite a ways in.

I enjoyed the relative scarcity of ammunition. At some point I'd gotten so used to not having a backpack that I found myself tiptoeing around a bulk cell despite actually having a backpack for once.

If I'm not mistaken, BTSX 1 only featured long maps. I enjoyed BTSX 2 spicing things up a little with a couple of super-intense short maps.

Potential bugs are written in italics.

MAP01 (deaths: 1)
Isn't it a bit early to have monsters teleporting in and instantly biting / clawing your face off? Thanks Dew. Nothing like dying in the first map to a surprise Hell Knight mauling followed by a tactical retreat into a pack of chaingunners. Is it supposed to be difficult to shoot the secret switch inside the ship? I had a hard time hitting it.

MAP02 (deaths: 0)
I liked the encounter with the arch-viles in the blue key area.

MAP03 (deaths: 1)
The Hell Knight anti-cheese in the yellow key area got me good. Well played.

MAP04 (deaths: 2; deaths after exploring: 0)
I enjoyed the quality time with the plasma rifle, and how taking one path would often subtly change another. Managed to die to an honestly rather humble revenant trap, and later to perhaps stumbling into the only inescapable lava pit in the map?

MAP06 (deaths: 1)
Lovely optional key. Always had a soft spot for those. Bit of a sudden difficulty spike at the end.

MAP07 (deaths: 0)
Bit of a sudden scenery change between MAP06 and MAP07. Glad I got my faced clawed off by a teleporting Hell Knight again. I was starting to miss that game mechanic.

MAP08 (deaths: 0)
Good old waterfall secret.

MAP09 (deaths: 0)
Whoa, a Baron of Hell. I liked the monsters teleporting in after taking down the big spider, caught me off guard. Between the plasma rifle and all the cells I was anxious for a nasty fight at the end, but it ended up being pretty tame. Guess all that firepower was intended for the big spider? I took her out using the Baron and a handful of bullets. Guess I played myself. At least I got my face clawed off by a teleporting Hell Knight again.

MAP10 (deaths: 1; deaths after exploring: 0)
Gorgeous music. I enjoyed the encounters and the intertwining layout. How did I end up standing in the exact position where that crushing pillar came down? The ambush with the dozen cacodemons teleporting in from behind got me good. Woke up a few too many monsters trying to deal with them. I did learn the word "lozenge". Thanks, Wiki author.

MAP12 (deaths: 0)
Quite the hot start, and quite the claustrophobic room to release that arch-vile into at the end. No energy weapons, either. That got my heart racing a little.

MAP13 (deaths: 1)
Oh, a revenant. Oh, there's a chaingunner on that cliff. Oh, there's a homing missile in my face. Oh, I'm dead. That sums up about the first ten seconds of me playing this map. Humbling. I enjoyed the arch-vile down below sneakily resurrecting the cacodemons I was gunning down. I did not enjoy having one spawn on top of me seemingly randomly right after the red key door.

MAP14 (deaths: 1)
Must've taken a wrong turn at the start. I ended up in the upstairs rocket launcher area with a handful of shells and nothing much else, and stood not a chance against all those demons and imps. Felt like a bit of a cheap shot. Loved the shenanigans with the secret keys. I failed to find the secret berserk pack. Don't think I've often chainsawed that many demons.

MAP15 (deaths: 0)
Suddenly, more cyberdemons. At this rate, the next map will have 16. I enjoyed the open layout of this map and the mural related to the secret exit.

MAP31 (deaths: 3; deaths after exploring: 2+)
I didn't actually expect the cyberdemon growth rate trend to continue. Good thing there's no MAP32. So this one's a little tougher. I did a few blind attempts but gave up after being zerged by a horde of arch-viles twice. Stopped trying after a couple of honest attempts. No single fight stood out as being especially tough, but I don't feel like delaying the rest of my playthrough until getting everything just right. Some day I might. I did learn the word "merlon". Thanks, Wiki author.

MAP17 (deaths: 0)
What's with the berserk at the start? This map didn't involve nearly as much punching as I thought it would.

MAP18 (deaths: 0)
Congratulations, you found the secret and get to telefrag two arch-viles. Also, here's two arch-viles. The BFG ambush almost got me.

MAP19 (deaths: 1)
Spicy start. I always try to get 100% kills, but here I accidentally exited the map during the final fight. I figured that switch would allow me to escape the area. I played the level again to redeem myself and finished the fight with an entire 6% health. Sure is tough without that secret BFG. I liked the use of the spiderdemon in the fight. Speaking of the BFG, certain tiles held both a large and a small cell ammo pickup, is that intended? Also, the two arch-viles in the westernmost monster closet failed to teleport in.

MAP20 (deaths: 2; deaths after exploring: 0)
Wow, what an adventure. Gorgeous music, too. The death counter disregards an incident where I fell through a wall into a damaging floor pit because I didn't load the patch. First time around I didn't quite notice the crushing ceiling right after the berserk pack. Second time around I got pummelled by the ambush that awaits you after wrapping up the huge stone area, limped out with little health and even less ammo, and then got smacked by a skeleton. So close. Sure is a lot easier if you save an invulnerability for that ambush. Observed a cacodemon getting stuck high above the red key, refusing to come down.

MAP21 (deaths: 1; deaths after exploring: 1)
Let's take my least favorite aspect of Refueling Base and build half a map around it. Sorry, not my cup of tea. The yellow key area sure is a lot less frantic. After careful exploration I managed to die to the lava in the starting room being unexpectedly hot. It only did 5 damage two maps ago!

MAP22 (deaths: 3; deaths after exploring: 0)
I enjoyed all the little pockets of health and armor bonuses, and how some of the encounters forced you to retreat into the unknown. The arch-vile trap in the sewer-like area made me panic a little too much, causing my demise. Following this I didn't wait for my heart rate to lower and immediately died to the first pair of revenants you fight. Stupid spectre. The trap involving some revenants, an arch-vile, and a horde of imps really got my blood pumping. Died like a chump to the three revenants guarding the final teleporter, after slowly being whittled down by the previous encounters. Still had a few close calls after exploration, at least up until the mega armor.

MAP23
Ominous. I love it. That said, even after four hub levels I'm still not quite sure of the overall layout of this area, which diminishes its impact a little. Probably because I'm playing this WAD at a snail's pace.

MAP24 (deaths: 🔥)
Humbling. Died once to the first three arch-viles. Sure, I don't mind, it's a bit of a rough start right after booting up Doom. Next attempt made it to the blue key, but apparently I stayed inside too long after picking it up, because I was surrounded by monsters upon teleporting out and died instantly. All part of the blind run experience, I guess. Following this I suffered two more honest deaths to this fight, before managing to ride back up the elevator during a particularly scrappy attempt and beating the encounter. However, the embarrassing part is that in between attempts, I started dying more and more to the first three arch-viles. Three times, then four times, then I lost count. How does one get progressively worse at an encounter? Happy you get to fight those guys first. This map was a blast.

MAP25 (deaths: 0)
Journey indeed. Close call on the red key fight. I'll definitely grab the BFG first on future runs. The BFG encounter was a little hairy due to one arch-vile missing the bus and joining the fight really late. I also learned the word "bailey". Thanks, Wiki author.

MAP26 (deaths: 1; deaths after exploring: ?)
Naturally, I approached the pretty portal right away, thinking I'd need to go into the cave up ahead to actually unlock it, and promptly got toasted. There's only so many surprise arch-viles a plasma gun can handle. I enjoyed seeing the tower again after staring at it in wonder in MAP19. I must admit I lacked the motivation to beat this map legitimately after exploring the remainder of the map and peeking at MAP27.

In conclusion, I enjoyed playing this a lot, and I'm looking forward to episode 3!