Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorogrimm

SKY3 error for Boom testing

Question

Hi, so when I've been trying to test my Boom map with glboom-plus or any vanilla source port, I'm getting this error about a SKY3?

Spoiler

Screenshot_263.png.a6d3b8f830dcbf27cc119895ea982c18.png

11 answers to this question

Here. You have to include patch and texture definitions from DOOM2.wad. Before putting in PNAMES and TEXTURE1, go to Archive->Texture Editor in SLADE, and it will ask you to create the lists. You can import it from the base archive (DOOM2.wad) and then append the patches\textures by selecting all the patches and right clicking on them and clicking Graphics->Add to Patch Table or Add to TEXTUREx. Since these graphics already had their textures created tho I just cut and paste them at the end of the base resource archive TEXTURE1.

deadlights.zip

1 minute ago, Thorogrimm said:

Thanks, so it's as simple as selecting all the custom textures and adding them all to TEXTURE1 with all the Doom 2 textures? And does this apply to flats?

Yes, but in this case the author of the graphics already constructed the textures from the patches. So, I first imported the base PNAMES lump and added the patches as I said, then copy-pasted the textures constructed by the author to the end of the base TEXTURE1 lump. There's usually an easier way about it, I'm sure, but I'm not familiar with these textures so that's how I did it. And no, you don't need to do it for flats.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that I converted the PNG patches to Doom format -- otherwise it could also cause problems. Should look identical.

11 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Here. You have to include patch and texture definitions from DOOM2.wad. Before putting in PNAMES and TEXTURE1, go to Archive->Texture Editor in SLADE, and it will ask you to create the lists. You can import it from the base archive (DOOM2.wad) and then append the patches\textures by selecting all the patches and right clicking on them and clicking Graphics->Add to Patch Table or Add to TEXTUREx. Since these graphics already had their textures created tho I just cut and paste them at the end of the base resource archive TEXTURE1.

deadlights.zip

Thanks, so it's as simple as selecting all the custom textures and adding them all to TEXTURE1 with all the Doom 2 textures, and does this apply to flats?

Also does the file you sent have that applied already?

1 minute ago, maxmanium said:

Yes, but in this case the author of the graphics already constructed the textures from the patches. So, I first imported the base PNAMES lump and added the patches as I said, then copy-pasted the textures constructed by the author to the end of the base TEXTURE1 lump. There's usually an easier way about it, I'm sure, but I'm not familiar with these textures so that's how I did it. And no, you don't need to do it for flats.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that I converted the PNG patches to Doom format -- otherwise it could also cause problems. Should look identical.

I'll try and remember that for future, these things are still relatively new to me and can get pretty overwhelming at times. Thanks a bunch!

Oh and one more thing, there are animdefs for the switches from Cage's textures and they don't seem to work? I've had a look and they say they're ZDoom compatible because of the text language. Is there a way to get them working with other source ports or shall I just use other switches?

6 hours ago, Thorogrimm said:

Oh and one more thing, there are animdefs for the switches from Cage's textures and they don't seem to work? I've had a look and they say they're ZDoom compatible because of the text language. Is there a way to get them working with other source ports or shall I just use other switches?

Well, yes. ANIMDEFS is a GZDoom specific text lump.

BOOM introduced ANIMATED and SWITCHES which are compiled lumps done with SWANTBLS.EXE, which is available from zdoom-utils050999.zip

A sample dat file is included.

10 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

BOOM introduced ANIMATED and SWITCHES which are compiled lumps done with SWANTBLS.EXE, which is available from zdoom-utils050999.zip

SLADE can convert SWANTBLS too.

16 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Well, yes. ANIMDEFS is a GZDoom specific text lump.

A sample dat file is included.

Is there a way I can convert ANIMDEFS into something readable by Boom format?