Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

saw Venom the other day. It's not a bad action movie, and knowing the spider-man saga it originated from it has some interesting nods to it and yet it manages to be somewhat disconnected from it.

7 hours ago, kalaeth said:

saw Venom the other day. It's not a bad action movie, and knowing the spider-man saga it originated from it has some interesting nods to it and yet it manages to be somewhat disconnected from it.

The main problem with it is that Sony still owns it but Marvel does Spider-Man, as a result the origins got completely fucked because that required what they don't have, unlike Spider-Man 3 (the Sam Raimi movies), but apart from that, it was a fun watch.

It's unfortunately also kind of a perfect example of a movie made to get a sequel going first and foremost. With Carnage coming up next, I expect it to be much better all-around.

3 minutes ago, seed said:

The main problem with it is that Sony still owns it but Marvel does Spider-Man, as a result the origins got completely fucked because that required what they don't have, unlike Spider-Man 3 (the Sam Raimi movies), but apart from that, it was a fun watch.

It's unfortunately also kind of a perfect example of a movie made to get a sequel going first and foremost. With Carnage coming up next, I expect it to be much better all-around.

yup.

a well done Carnage movie would be something like a horror thriller, from the cops point of view at start and then being in Venom, but I fear they'll make it Venom centric instead :/

14 minutes ago, kalaeth said:

yup.

a well done Carnage movie would be something like a horror thriller, from the cops point of view at start and then being in Venom, but I fear they'll make it Venom centric instead :/

Why wouldn't they? After all it is a sequel to that movie, not Carnage getting his own series.

I just watched My Blood Valentine. And I have to say, it's worthy of its reputation, it's a great slasher film, I would even say I liked it more than Friday the 13th. Great location, great set pieces, good acting and character work, and inventive gore which unfortunately mostly got cut from the movie originally. The version with restored footage makes it fairly easy to spot what footage was originally cut and I don't feel I exaggerate almost all of the gore in the movie was cut out in the theatrical release. 

10 hours ago, Hypnotik said:

I liked the Big Daddy character and wish they'd expanded on this more. 

Just watched Revenge of the Pink Panther (1978) and although it's no where near the heights of Return(1975) its good to see more Clouseau. 

Bill and Ted: Face the Music. Big, silly, made little to no sense, and yet adorable and charming as all hell with a nice message at the end.

I also most recently watched the newest Bill and Ted movie after watching the first two. It's definitely a Bill and Ted movie and was a lot of fun!

1 hour ago, Lippeth said:

I also most recently watched the newest Bill and Ted movie after watching the first two. It's definitely a Bill and Ted movie and was a lot of fun!

Yeah anyone going into Bill and Ted expecting high quality drama and basic logic really has not been paying attention for the last three decades.

It's been a few years, and I had an undeniable compulsion to see The Lord of the Rings again. I'm weary as hell, so it's one movie at a time. No marathons in my foreseeable future.

One line that has stuck with me for some 20 or more viewings is the lead-in to the balrog encounter. Gandalf the freaking grey, wise and mighty wizard, the beacon of hope and guidance for the fellowship, tells them all in a fearful and desperate manner:

"This foe is beyond any of you."

On 9/13/2020 at 6:18 PM, Hypnotik said:

Land of the Dead

When that hit the cheap theaters, I actually convinced my brother to go see it with me. I used to love zombie movies, and he absolutely hated them, so it was hard to get him to go. We both sat through it, and it was an utter piece of crap. That movie is terrible. Not that Night of the Living Dead was great, but it was good given the budget and the time period, and it founded a genre. Dawn of the Dead, while not technically a great movie, is a classic. Day of the Dead I still love, and Bub was just the cutest zombie ever. Reminds me of a guy I used to work with.

Land of the Dead, it seemed to leave it's roots and tried to be a big Hollywood movie, and it just fell flat. And John Leguizamo just ruins the mood in any movie he's been in, aside from Spawn. When he's just being John Leguizamo, he's annoying, he did do a fantastic job as "The Clown". I'm amazed that was him in that costume; personally I would've reached out to Danny DeVito.

Anyway, after forcing my brother to watch Land of the Dead, it took years to get him to watch Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland. He said he hated zombie movies, wouldn't watch them again. I had to explain to him over and over that these are comedies that happen to have zombies in them. Eventually I got him to watch them, and he loved them. Because they're fucking hilarious. Still hates serious zombie movies though, and I've gotten sick of them as well. Back in the 90's and mid to early 2000's I loved zombie movies and shows, but the genre has become overpopulated, especially since The Walking Dead started that it's at the point that it's just gotten stale.

I pretty much never really liked serious Zombie movies. I think Romero's movies are dull, but somehow modern stuff like The Walking Dead takes it and makes it even more boring if that were somehow possible. 

I haven't seen Shaun of the Dead but I did really like Hot Fuzz so maybe I'd like it but eh, not super motivated to watch it. 

But best zombie movies? Evil Dead 2 and Re-Animator. Movies that are already hilarious anyway. 

59 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I pretty much never really liked serious Zombie movies. I think Romero's movies are dull, but somehow modern stuff like The Walking Dead takes it and makes it even more boring if that were somehow possible. 

I haven't seen Shaun of the Dead but I did really like Hot Fuzz so maybe I'd like it but eh, not super motivated to watch it. 

But best zombie movies? Evil Dead 2 and Re-Animator. Movies that are already hilarious anyway. 

Maybe, but at least the zombies back then still had a bit of terror to them, which is truly gone nowadays.

20 hours ago, hybridial said:

If you liked Hot Fuzz, you'll like Shaun of the Dead. Most of it is just the charismatic interaction between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, they just really work well together. It's absolutely hilarious, and it's more of a movie about people. The zombies are just there to move the plot along. Honestly I'd say it's better than Hot Fuzz, which just seems to get a bit long in the teeth towards the end. Which isn't to say I don't love it, I do, I just think Shaun of the Dead is better paced.

In summary: Everyone should watch Shaun of the Dead.

I watched "Chernobyl Diaries". It isn't too slow, is interesting from the beginning, and develops into a pretty normal horror/thriller scene. 
  There was more believable zombie in this movie than imaginary zombie, a la zombies have mutated and have four eyes type of zombies. This gives the film a kind of "Church vs. State" persona, and who doesn't need more Benediction blended into their horror? It goes so well with "Johnny's First Sex Experience vs. Slasher's Raison D'etre". Bring a condom in your pocket when you go to watch it, and maybe you'll get lucky!
 The one thing about Chernobyl Diaries I think that may not appeal to everyone is the use of foreign/not USA locations. It's got a very European....being, and is not the USA at all. I thought this was kind of stylish, you may not think so. It's your dime, Bub.

Excellent use of radiation here, guys. Get Mutated.

Edited by Billy Baron

Tenet.

Nolan is quite pompous, but the concepts he brings to movies and attempts to make them mainstream is commendable.

Haha! both kids at school today for the first time! 6 whole hours to ourselves!!.

So we watched Peter Jackson's Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey extended edition. Actually much better than the cinematic release. The Desolation of Smaug next week!

On 9/17/2020 at 5:55 PM, Jello said:

If you liked Hot Fuzz, you'll like Shaun of the Dead. Most of it is just the charismatic interaction between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, they just really work well together. It's absolutely hilarious, and it's more of a movie about people. The zombies are just there to move the plot along. Honestly I'd say it's better than Hot Fuzz, which just seems to get a bit long in the teeth towards the end. Which isn't to say I don't love it, I do, I just think Shaun of the Dead is better paced.

In summary: Everyone should watch Shaun of the Dead.

Could not agree more!

Shaun of the dead is pretty much a perfect movie in my mind! Pacing is spot on, comedy and “horror” just merge perfectly :-) 

When people tell me they don’t like zombie moves, I’ll say it’s not a zombie move! It’s a comedy that just happens to have zombies in it :-P

Just like “Warm Bodies” is a RomCom that just happens to have zombies in it (man I really love that movie - cheesy af but always gives me the warm and fuzzys) :-P

Anyways back on topic, if we are talking the most recently released then that would be Joker.

Kinda caused a bit of a political/media shit storm on release but it is honestly amazing and THE most accurate depiction of what life is like for people living with severe mental illness. They should make that movie mandatory viewing as a part of health classes in high schools around the world.

On 9/22/2020 at 2:11 PM, DooM Bear said:

Just like “Warm Bodies” is a RomCom that just happens to have zombies in it (man I really love that movie - cheesy af but always gives me the warm and fuzzys) :-P

I've actually seen that one, I don't even know why, I think someone I know must have recommended it. It does start pretty interesting but its get lamer as it goes, I heard the book its based on is better. 

I decided to get started early on my Halloween viewing, between now and the end of October I think I'm going to do a lot of horror watching. I started with watching Deep Red again, which is a masterpiece. Consistently creepy, unsettling and over the top in style, I feel its the perfect movie if you like a story that feels like it delves into events best left forgotten, that we uncover and understand more about the nature of everything happening piece by piece. Watching it really makes me want to try writing something in the Giallo tradition one day. 

Rewatched Resident Evil (the first one). It has been so long since I saw it, I was again very much out of the loop of what was happening. I couldn't even remember what order things happened. I remember it was like that the first time I saw it, very fast paced with a lot of action. It was released in 2001 (I think), but I just couldn't keep shaking the feeling that Taylor Swift was the lead role....She should have been any actress anyway -- boy can she SING!
  Resident Evil isn't much of a trip out. In terms of a zombie movie, I think it was ahead of its time. Shows like The Walking Dead weren't even around yet. Where would we be without ZOMBIES?

I say watch see it if you haven't already seen it. I know it's attained cult status at this point...a real classic.

Rewatched The Dark Tower hoping it was better on a second watch,  it still annoys me just as much with its five books in one shite. 

Pan's Labyrinth. It was brilliant and may be my new favorite fantasy movie, apart from LOTR.