Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
URROVA

Post your very first map here!

My first map was totally nuts. Ridiculously large and long, usually disliked and mostly misunderstood. I wasn't going for a traditional style Doom wad. I had been playing a lot of Dark Souls (1+2+3) during it's conception and that really came out in the map. I was going for a 60-90min map based on exploration, survival and non-linearity. Turns out most people don't want that kind of map LOL. 

Being a first map, i was overly ambitious and wanted to put everything in it. The map has: A GIANT techbase to explore full of puzzles, a huge hell section, a haunted house / castle section, an Icon of sin fight with a cyberdemon and a Spider mastermind, a difficult traversal / navigational puzzle to get the blue key, a small wolfenstein homage / secret area, and at the end i had the words DOOM written in the sky over a huge boss battle that includes every monster in the game. 

Some reviewers didn't finish it. LOL. It was just too non linear and people got lost. Sorry. 

So i can admit it's absolutely terrible but at the same time it had a few parts here and there that I'm proud of. I was happy to make the map that i wanted to make. I like large non linear maps, but still, this was executed amateurishly. 

Anyway, I won't name it but if you are interested in '2hr non linear tech base portal to hell' romps, this is your map.

DAB79 (edit area) at 2020.09.19 22-50-29.698 [R3566].jpg

DAB79 (edit area) at 2020.09.19 22-42-15.373 [R3566].jpg

DAB79 (edit area) at 2020.09.19 22-39-45.896 [R3566].jpg

doom543.png.87ddb47b7cbe553f66247762b85f9c67.png

doom544.png.b05a10001d854e55b752ece662ae1208.png

"At the Entrance". The very first playable level I've ever designed, after I familiarize myself with the shareware version of DeepSea about 14 years ago.

The wad is still available in the following thread: A very first wad I've ever made

First map completed made in january 1995 IIRC. Lots of misalignments, HOMS, inconsistent theme (marble/tech/hell/wood) and don't know if you can even finnish it because didn't test ammo count. HOMS are there because at that time DEU 5.2 nodebuilder was pure shit. Doomcad nodebuilder was better but took ages to complete (that was on a 486 4mb RAM no smartdrive i think). Of course never released, but maybe i will make an updated decent version. Run with PrBoom, MBF or Eternity if you wanna see horrible HOMS. Gzdoom rid them. It's Ultimate Doom map 1, episode 2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BIJTFWVrYB87QvfUHlOFpkx8zKl_f0eR/view?usp=sharing

etrn343.png.9e82efde585f88bd4db9f71a169c1631.png

This is my first map I finished and published (it's a map for Heretic): https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/New-Dungeons

Practically, I can say this is my first map in my life I made for a Doom-engine game. Before this, I made just a technical junky unplayable map, where I learned basics of mapping (how to draw sectors, use linedef actions, place things etc) and this was a serious map I wanted to make great and publicly playable. Unfortunately, I am not a creative person and have weak imagination, so this is also the ONLY map I actually made. I just put all my ideas and creativity into this, and because mapping takes me really lot of time which I don't have, I did not go into more mapping.

But this was not the very first map for a 3D game I made, my very first map I made was for Duke Nukem 3D. I think I lost it. It was rather a smaller map, mapping in Duke Nukem 3D's Build editor is very difficult and non-intuitive (all those lo-tags, hi-tags, special things you put into your map - meh) so I did not continue in that area.

My first map is called Evilzone..... EVILZONE. lol. It's the first map I made using DoomCad and released in 2000 as the first map in my Vilecore megawad. The weird part is.... up until earlier this year I was still doing stuff to it for my Vilecore 1.2 remaster.... tho that version hasn't been modified over 20 years, that would be silly. ;) Yet it gets weirder because I was doing a version for Vilecore 2 but I changed my mind or something, even tho it was done and that map got resampled / remixed into a new map that is now called Blur Research Unit. I mean somebody has to make those invisibilty spheres. If this was all confusing, welcome to the club. :D

Screens. Original version... the 1.2 remaster version and the Vilecore 2 Blur Research Unit... jobby. Now why isn't there any visible monsters in here....

sUwCV2N.jpg

Edited by Doom_Dude

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

So when will we be tuning these all up for a community project???

That could actually be pretty cool to see. Call it "Baby's First Map Tune-Up" or something, you better believe I'd play that.

If something like that were to happen, I would need to turn my Fragmentation map into a single-player map with a whole load of extras. It actually wouldn't be a bad idea in general, though GZDOOM is my port of choice these days, and I don't really know how to convert something from regular Doom format to the new format of GZDOOM. I especially want to incorporate the music I put into that first major wad into it.

8 hours ago, PeterMoro said:

My first map was totally nuts. Ridiculously large and long, usually disliked and mostly misunderstood. I wasn't going for a traditional style Doom wad. I had been playing a lot of Dark Souls (1+2+3) during it's conception and that really came out in the map. I was going for a 60-90min map based on exploration, survival and non-linearity. Turns out most people don't want that kind of map LOL. 

Being a first map, i was overly ambitious and wanted to put everything in it. The map has: A GIANT techbase to explore full of puzzles, a huge hell section, a haunted house / castle section, an Icon of sin fight with a cyberdemon and a Spider mastermind, a difficult traversal / navigational puzzle to get the blue key, a small wolfenstein homage / secret area, and at the end i had the words DOOM written in the sky over a huge boss battle that includes every monster in the game. 

Some reviewers didn't finish it. LOL. It was just too non linear and people got lost. Sorry. 

So i can admit it's absolutely terrible but at the same time it had a few parts here and there that I'm proud of. I was happy to make the map that i wanted to make. I like large non linear maps, but still, this was executed amateurishly. 

Anyway, I won't name it but if you are interested in '2hr non linear tech base portal to hell' romps, this is your map.

That actually seems pretty cool. I might actually check that out when I have time.

12 hours ago, Megabeholder said:

This is my first map released to the public:

The very first map I was trying to make wasn't finished and now I only have some screenshots:

Screenshot_Doom_20200708_105659.png.220e6c0911492132b122c46faaa94c75.png

I really like what you did with the wooden walkway here. That's very creative.

19 hours ago, Dravencour said:

By "monster spawners", would you be working with ACS scripting or DECORATE? Because monster spawning (and shutdown of same) can be workable with ACS.

Certainly, but if I'm going to add scripting, I may as well go with ZScript, as I gained some experience with it while making Universal Entropy.

I also forgot to mention that I had only tested the map in GZDoom, in which the monster spawners are already working half-decently.

Even though I have the idea for a challenge map clear in my head, I will need to figure out and learn how to actually implement it fully. Pretty sure I'll have to resort to scripting to do what I'm planning.

The problem is that I'm just so trash at mapping at the moment - I don't even know how to stack multiple cacodemons vertically, or if this is possible. I want to fill that tunnel up fully to make lots of tomato sauce.

Edited by bLUEbYTE

23 hours ago, bLUEbYTE said:

Certainly, but if I'm going to add scripting, I may as well go with ZScript, as I gained some experience with it while making Universal Entropy.

I also forgot to mention that I had only tested the map in GZDoom, in which the monster spawners are already working half-decently.

Even though I have the idea for a challenge map clear in my head, I will need to figure out and learn how to actually implement it fully. Pretty sure I'll have to resort to scripting to do what I'm planning.

The problem is that I'm just so trash at mapping at the moment - I don't even know how to stack multiple cacodemons vertically, or if this is possible. I want to fill that tunnel up fully to make lots of tomato sauce.

Hoo boy...you'll want a map editor that can go into 3D Mode. Most of us these days use Doom Builder 2, GZDOOM Builder, or Ultimate Doom Builder. All you'll need to do here is lay out your spawn points in Things Mode, and then use the 3D Mode to stack each point on top of the other so the Cacos don't teleport in one at a time. You'll also want to allow for clearance for each Caco, so you'll want to look up the heights for them and position your spawns accordingly. 3D Mode also allows for this, as you can see what the Caco will look like onscreen using the 3D viewer.