Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Best video game chaingun?

10 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Doom has the best chainguns, not even Serious Sam or any other game has about as good as a chaingun as Doom.

The original Doom chaingun frankly sucks, it's totally underwhelming. The Doom 3 chaingun is great however and the Doom 2016 chaingun is even better.

IMO the best chaingun from every game is the minigun from Serious Sam FE. The Unreal Tournament 2k4 minigun is also great.

Edited by Tetzlaff

Given Quake 2's lacklustre weapons (aside from the super shotty, railgun and BFG10k), I think they did a surprisingly great job with the chaingun.  Satisfying as fuck once it's fully revved.

Doom 2016 Chaingun is metal af.

Unreal Tournament original chaingun is probably the best OG 90s chaingun.

Warhammer 40k Space Hulk: Deathwing has the closest feeling to an actual BRRRRRT weapon.

I don't a lot of games with chainguns, but if you have Explosive bullets and low gravity on in GTA V, it is the best thing to every happen to humanity. If you disable police, you can juggle dead people. 

Whats the difference between chaingun and minigun?

Serious question.

On topic, never take my time to compare them between games.
i just adjust my gameplay to what the game offer and thats it.

Friendly reminder that Doom's chaingun isn't an actual chaingun, but rather a gatling-style weapon with rotating barrels. 

OP, I think you mean Gatling gun. A Chaingun is single-barrelled and a part of a vehicle and certainly not man-portable.

My first pick is the Heavy's primary weapon in the Team Fortress games. It feels so good to get the drop on an enemy team and mow them all down. But now that I think about it, since it fires shells is it an automatic shotgun aping as a Gatling gun?

My second pick is a tie between the Chaingun in Quake 2 and the Minigun in UT99. Spews hundreds of bullets in the space of a few seconds just as a Gatling gun is supposed to.

My third pick is the future Death Machine from CoD Black Ops II. Sure it has three barrels, but that does nothing to decrease its lethality. It even makes the BRRRRRT sound which is awesome as long as I'm doing the BRRRRRTing. I just wish it had more ammo because 200 ain't enough.

The classic Doom Chaingun is a disgrace to all things Gatling. Don't get me wrong, it has its niche and I'm glad to pick it up to replace the Pistol. But its performance falls well below its presentation. I wanna feel like a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus firing it into a crowd of enemies, not feeling like a slack-jawed...

Wolfenstein 3D's and Team Fortress 2's Heavy's gatling gun(s) are probably the best ones for a few reasons

-TF2's gatling guns are incredibly satisfying to use as you can mow down a lot of unprepared opponents if you're in the right spot at the right time, and it is the fastest firing gun in the game (Obviously).

-Wolfenstein 3D's gatling gun is probably the first of the OP chainguns, so it's definitely a good one. While functionally the same as Doom's chaingun, because Wolf3D's regular enemies aren't demons that have a shitload of HP (The most durable regular enemy is the SS with 100 health) and that all rely on hitscan, they don't get to do the chaingun cha-cha for very long before dying, so wasting a room full of SS, Officers and Brownies with the chaingun is kinda like wasting a room full of Zombiemen and Shotgun Guys with the Doom chaingun, except you'll encounter more the need to use the chaingun to waste an entire room in later levels in Wolf3D, as opposed to the early levels in Doom, giving the Wolf3D chaingun a feeling of being superior due to the lower health of your foes.

21 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

-Wolfenstein 3D's gatling gun is probably the first of the OP chainguns, so it's definitely a good one. While functionally the same as Doom's chaingun, because Wolf3D's regular enemies aren't demons that have a shitload of HP (The most durable regular enemy is the SS with 100 health) and that all rely on hitscan, they don't get to do the chaingun cha-cha for very long before dying, so wasting a room full of SS, Officers and Brownies with the chaingun is kinda like wasting a room full of Zombiemen and Shotgun Guys with the Doom chaingun, except you'll encounter more the need to use the chaingun to waste an entire room in later levels in Wolf3D, as opposed to the early levels in Doom, giving the Wolf3D chaingun a feeling of being superior due to the lower health of your foes.

I feel the point of the TNT-Revilution map "Fortress of Bullets" was to give that feeling, the chaingun shines in that level in ways it rarely gets a chance to. 

I like using Doom's chaingun a lot, it's super useful for clearing lesser enemies or even sniping big guys since it pains some of them so often. It's not on the same dps level as other weapons but i end up using it almost as much as the SSG

This thread is supposed to be about chainguns, but most of you are talking about miniguns. Doom and Doom Eternal don't have chainguns. Chainguns do not have multiple, rotating barrels. 

The best minigun is Sasha. 

5 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Whats the difference between chaingun and minigun?

Serious question.

Stealing from an /r/explainlikeimfive thread because I don't know shit about guns:

"Minigun" was coined by GE to refer to the M134 six-barrel rotary machine gun. It was called that because it is essentially a "mini" version of the larger M61 Vulcan rotary cannon. "Minigun" is also often used colloquially to describe all modern rotary machine guns.

A chain gun is a machine gun or autocannon that uses an externally powered action and ammunition feeding mechanism (often a chain drive). Traditional machine guns utilize the gas or recoil generated by firing to actuate both the weapon's action and feed mechanism. A chain gun uses a separate motor to power the action and feed mechanism. This allows it to feed very large and heavy ammunition reliably, and to continue feeding if the weapon fails to fire a cartridge. This makes them popular on armored vehicles where weight and power limitations aren't a large concern. Chain guns may have either a single barrel, multiple tandem barrels, or rotary barrels.

You'll note that by these definitions, Doom's "chaingun" is very much not a chaingun.

The Skulltag Minigun WOWed me when I first used it, it was so simple and obvious as far as Chaingun modifiers are concerned, yet so satisfying.

There's also these bad boys that Scuba Steve mentioned recently:

On 9/4/2020 at 2:22 PM, Scuba Steve said:

The only thing missing from this project is...

CHGGA0.png.c7a4603c46616f5e26345df602e8ecf9.png

I think this title should be changed to "Best video game spinny automatic gun." I think that will lower the confusion. 

As much as I hate to admit it, Modern Warfare 2019's jugg suits feel so good, and a major part of that is the minigun. When I play coop I always nab one.

god who cares about the minigun vs. chaingun stuff, we all know id barely knew anything about these guns and what people are actually talking about here. I do find it funny other games did follow the "chaingun" lead only to abandon it later though. Half-Life's sentries were mentioned as having "chainguns". Starcraft marines had "chainguns", but those were all changed before release.

In any case, recently playing the original Serious Sam again, I remembered how much I loved that game's minigun. Good sound, makes things die rapidly. Pinpoint accuracy is a little silly, but I can't complain in the context of the game. Doom 4/Eternal chaingun is also pretty great. I'd mention Doom 3, but I feel it's held back a little by the fire rate. From a gameplay perspective it's not bad, especially since it conserves ammo, but its fire rate is a bit on the slower side (something like 6/7 shots a sec whereas the machinegun is 10), which doesn't feel quite as nice.

7 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

The chaingun of the Wolfenstein series, specificially RTCW's "Venom Gun".

The Venom gun was a game changer. thats when the arsenal went from 'well executed but typical for the period' to 'the king has returned'