Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DownloadTheseSweetViruses

What is the best Master Levels map in your opinion

My favorite is Mephisto's Mausoleum. I felt like that could have been the final map if it was played as a level

Toss-up between Black Tower and Geryon for me. The former is grandiose awesome (for the time, ofc.), and the latter is Dr. Sleep at his strangest (and, IMO, best). Probably Vesperas as a runner-up.

Black Tower was definitely memorable, and I remember enjoying Dr. Sleep's maps the most for gameplay overall. There was still some jank stuff and his geometry and layouts were very rigid and symmetrical to the point of being almost robotic, but he understood what made Doom II map progression generally fun and balanced long before many other mappers of the 90s did. His lighting and texturing was also very meticulous and still looks good now. Almost everything else was quite awful, unless I'm forgetting some highlights.

Edited by BoxY

ATTACK.

All of the others have more bad things about them than good ones as far as I'm concerned.

19 minutes ago, DownloadTheseSweetViruses said:

I'm surprised that there is no mention of Titan Manor. That one was awesome!

I agree, it has a great atmosphere, but i find the design a bit confusing, i always get lost and don't know what i'm supposed to go or do.

The one i played the most in the PSX when i was like 5 was attack.wad (since it was the first on the list so easier to select...), so i have to go with it for the nostalgia. I was far too young to manage beating most levels though, and the ones i did was with a little help from my dad, lol

My favorite today though might be Bloodsea Keep

6 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Black Tower.

3 hours ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

Black Tower

and all the Doctor Sleep maps.

4 hours ago, BoxY said:

Black Tower was definitely memorable, and I remember enjoying Dr. Sleep's maps the most for gameplay overall. There was still some jank stuff and his geometry and layouts were very rigid and symmetrical to the point of being almost robotic, but he understood what made Doom II map progression generally fun and balanced long before many other mappers of the 90s did. His lighting and texturing was also very meticulous and still looks good now. Almost everything else was quite awful, unless I'm forgetting some highlights.

4 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Black Tower.

5 hours ago, Xaser said:

Toss-up between Black Tower and Geryon for me. The former is grandiose awesome (for the time, ofc.), and the latter is Dr. Sleep at his strangest (and, IMO, best). Probably Vesperas as a runner-up.

5 hours ago, Horus said:

When I first played it, Black Tower

Upon replay, Minos' Judgement

5 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

Black Tower. For 95, that was a mind-blowing map, the way it was constructed.

6 hours ago, Demion said:

Another vote for Black Tower.

Blacktower was a masterpiece, Dr. Sleep was very ahead of his time when it came to mapping.

Mephisto's Mausoleum, Black Tower and Express Elevator to Hell are the only ones i "fully" remember, so these win by default.

I recently played these on Xbox One so i remember a few of them. Any of Dr. Sleep's maps (Virgil's Lead ect.) are great. Mephisto's Maosoleum is a good one although it is quite hard for me. I thought "The Express Elevator to Hell" was an interesting one. It took me quite a few tries to figure out what to do at the end to get to "Bad Dream" (it was an accident actually). Another one would be Black Tower. It was hard for me yet fun at the same time.

Titan Manor/Trapped on Titan

Jim Flynn was one of the all time greats.