Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Thanks for the gameplay and the review. I'm glad you enjoyed the map! And it's really motivating to get positive feedback!

I will have a think on how to make the final battle more interesting - I can see that with the amount of space available and supplies you have at that time it's not a challenge at all.

I also think that the secrets were maybe a bit too difficult to find, although it seems that you weren't looking for them too much. Maybe I should mark more sectors as secrets (like the soulsphere you found and were surprised it's not a secret; there was also a berserk which you didn't find, also not marked as secret).

I will have a think about the second plasma gun - I definitely don't want it to be easy to get.

Btw. the map by me you played a year ago was Hydrogen ( https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hydrogen ).

Thanks again, it was really useful to see how you approached the map!

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

Most of this wad has been much more difficult, but here it wasn’t the monster placement or spatial setups; it was the abundance of rockets and cells. I think eliminating some of that would do a lot for increasing the challenge. Still, I liked the map. The deuxble layout was effective and clever without being cheesy.

Bottom line: good concept, strong execution, too much ammo

@Walkerrr

Doomworld forum topic

Wow, what a map. A lot of episode 1 somewhat lacked identity, even though they were good maps. These last two have given this wad the variety that it needed along with some strong character. And it’s not really visual. This was a somewhat generic gothic hell aesthetic – well done for sure, but still somewhat generic. But the gameplay was great – you start with rockets and you never empty out your supply, but the nobles are coming. It’s a large interconnected map with a Map 15 signature sidequest. A couple minor complaints would be that the setpieces were a little weak. The first key I got was interesting. I didn’t have the plasma gun and my space was crowded. But the other key and the finale just weren’t quite fierce enough for the space and supplies available. They weren’t necessarily boring and grindy, but they felt like they were supposed to be more challenging than they were. But I thoroughly enjoyed all the incidental stuff and the unseen nobles' projectiles in the sidequest and the crazy start.

Bottom line: a grand map with a bold idea and an admirable implementation of it

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

The first 2/3 or so is solid. It reuses space nicely and has some quality fights. Then it gets rote and choppy in a hurry. Suddenly the interconnection is gone and it’s all grind killing. I think this was an ambitious map and the 3-hour factor was an issue here.

Bottom line: The map starts good but seems to drag on too long

Hello again HAK, as the Austinado i finally made a map for the Modest Mapping Challenge 2, this time it's a final map in the set MAP30 and it's called "Temple of Unholy Trinity". Vanilla map, so don't expect from me a ton of detailing.

Rules:

- Maps must be made under/equal to 40 Sectors (Can Join sectors)

- A maximum of 5 Monster types can be used (Can be different for each Difficulty, Cybers doesn't count)

- Maps must contain Co-op starts and be functional in Co-op.

- Difficulty settings must be implemented (Main testing on UV, but balanced for other difficulties)

- Maps must be Pistol Startable

- All weapons allowed for E3.

- No Icon of Sin. (part of the project story) This map give you 3 Cyber fights. (For example, E1 ending - 1 cybers; E2 ending - 2 cybers; E3 ending - 3 cybers)

Don't know what difficulty i can recommend for your first playthrough, HMP is okay, but on UV it's more fun and challenging.

Sexy screenshots:

screen1.png.805671187bf148d48382337ca491c898.png

screen2.png.ba4745b16d84c60061bdd2c36affda3c.png

screen3.png.702cd550cd63668927cdd8e69e2c9653.png

Handsome download: ModestMap30v4.zip

Edited by MAN_WITH_GUN

@xxWeNxx

download the .zip

Good structure and flow to this one. There are a couple quick optional areas in an otherwise linear and tight affair. The gameplay was plenty varied for a short map and usually interesting. I think some of the fights are a little too easy to flee, and I think the ending section has way too many supplies.

Bottom line: you won’t miss out by skipping this, but you won’t regret playing it

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

I generally prefer too much stuff to not enough, but this is just overkill. Again, the map quality is diminished by the abundance of rockets and cells and the presence of the BFG. To a lesser degree, there’s probably too much health, but I think a pretty simple fix for this level is to cut the BFG entirely, replace the early megaarmor and megasphere with green armor and soulsphere, and lessen the number of rockets throughout. Still, this was a really fun map. The layout is excellent, offering lots of freedom early on and the ability to get a sense of the level progression. Visually, it’s very nice and it’s just stock texture limit-removing. Besides the supply issues, the weak point of the map is probably the blue key fight.

Bottom line: Excellent map turned just good by a glut of supplies

@Egg Boy

Doomworld forum topic

1: A tidy and safe layout that nonetheless works as a simple “this is a wad opener” map.

2: Probably my favorite, I like how the damaging floor really forces the issue and the ups and downs of the progression. And this is map has the only rocket launcher

3: A little more substance here with all three keys that you can get in different orders. I appreciated the berserk, but I felt this map definitely could have offered up another rocket launcher or plasma gun, even if that meant a little more meat.

Bottom line: clever layouts, varied enough gameplay, good visuals, could use some more firepower and more / more involved secrets

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: Excellent map turned just good by a glut of supplies

Yeah, I think I'm getting more generous with supplies recently. I would probably cut down on cells significantly. And maybe on megasphere.

I really wish there was separate ammo for BFG so I could give player only a few shots per level.

I sent you my first map ever made about a year ago (It's okay, I would not expect you to remember :) )

I would appreciate if you could give my new map a shot!

This time, I went for a Sigil style map so it is a little dark (which people either love/hate).

Game: Ultimate Doom - Map: E3M5

Made with Crispy Doom in mind but also tested with GZ Doom.

No jumping/crouching. Freelook optional but made with classic doom style in mind so preferably off.

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

I never mind a little darkness, and it’s used effectively here. Layout is fine; I missed a switch and a whole room so I was low on ammo in the latter half, even with secret weapons, so I think, considering the absence of light, more ammo could be considered.

Bottom line: a bold map that maybe could use some spare ammo

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

I noticed more in this map than any previous one that stuff was different, so I didn’t like this map as much. I don’t know if anything new was introduced, but this map felt less like Doom. Interestingly, it’s a rather short map that uses all three keys. While it is visually somewhat distinct, it seems to lack any defining gameplay

Bottom line: Something about this just felt odd to me, but it was decently constructed

ADDENDUM: I later played this map again because I felt like I disliked it for no good reason. Second time through I appreciated the layout more (and almost got the soul sphere secret – I triggered the platforms once but never figured out what did it…) It really does have a nice flow of monster opposition. But yeah, I still thought the deviation from vanilla behavior was very noticeable here. I’m sure it’s supposed to be, but for me, that’s usually not a positive.

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

Roofi must be pretty efficient because this hardly felt like a speedmap. The layout was simple but clever. The visuals helped that make an immersive experience. Some of the combat felt a little bit annoying, but I think the map is made for you to go left first and get the super shotgun. Otherwise you don’t use shells at all until you’re almost done.

Bottom line: a thorough and atmospheric map

@WH-Wilou84

Doomworld forum topic

I think WH is better than this map. This map was not all bad, but it seems to betray some inexperience. There’s lots of backtracking. Lots of single file grindy killing. Some of the progression elements are very elegant, but some are not. There is some good combat in here though, and visually it’s not bad.

Bottom line: All in all a decent map but some fine-tuning would not hurt

Nevermind. I might as well work on it more and re-submit it.

Edited by Stabbey : additional feedback I am specifically looking for.

@Rapp0ng

Doomworld forum topic

I don’t think there’s much mistaking what this map sought to do. I also think it did an admirable job. The tightness is there. The darkness is there. The slight puzzle stuff is there. There’s a nice little floor moving gimmick. The map is more generous in terms of supplies, but it still does end up putting you in grind mode sometimes. It is Doom 1, after all. Progression made sense and utilized very little geometry per capita.

Bottom line: a successful Sigil emulation

@MAN_WITH_GUN

download the .zip

It’s one-dimensional. You are always punished for being reckless. Every single corner you turn has monsters behind it; there are hardly any traps, maybe none at all. So much of the combat amounts to sticking your head in and then retreating to wait for the monsters. You could probably do exactly that the entire map and never take any damage. This can be an okay style of combat, but there was no variety. It was that for 550 kills. I was bored of it a third of the way in. Nothing really even changed as you got new weapons. Visually, it was very nice, but it was quite similar throughout. It would have been fine for a much smaller map, but I think the size of this called for more distinction between different areas The best aspect of this map is probably the layout itself. This not being totally linear saves it a little bit of intrigue

Bottom line: polished but desperately needs variety

Thanks for the play and review!

Very pleased to see that you feel its a successful Sigil emulation. That was my goal so I give myself a pat on the back for that!

Watching it back I can see some parts were a little grindy, need to do away with these silly gauntlets of cages, seems more of a cool idea in my head but its tedious in game.

You made the map look easy though! Which is unacceptable. :)

6 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

It’s one-dimensional. You are always punished for being reckless. Every single corner you turn has monsters behind it; there are hardly any traps, maybe none at all. So much of the combat amounts to sticking your head in and then retreating to wait for the monsters. You could probably do exactly that the entire map and never take any damage. This can be an okay style of combat, but there was no variety. It was that for 550 kills. I was bored of it a third of the way in. Nothing really even changed as you got new weapons. Visually, it was very nice, but it was quite similar throughout. It would have been fine for a much smaller map, but I think the size of this called for more distinction between different areas The best aspect of this map is probably the layout itself. This not being totally linear saves it a little bit of intrigue

Bottom line: polished but desperately needs variety

Thanks for the criticism! Yes, the map really turned out to be large and repetitive for the most part, this comes from the rule of using 40 sectors, where I did not have enough for making this gameplay really fun, it may sound like an excuse, but this is the main reason why the gameplay seems so flat. (By the way, the map is not a limit-removing, it is made for vanilla. Of course, few people will notice it the first time) According to the original plan, the map was supposed to be large, many things i had to remove due to the limits both in the project and in vanilla.
As you rightly pointed out, the map has quite aggressive gameplay, but only on UV, which implies a high level of difficulty. On HMP, the gameplay is more moderate and there's aren't many AVs.
I also note that according to the original plan, there should have been not so many monsters on the map in the first half of the map for the player to feel how the temple begins to expand and how the end of your path is near. (What in my opinion should represent the final level in megawad)
Do I need to make the map smaller? In the process of mapping, I myself began to notice how it becomes too long and I can refuse a couple of places on the map.
Any advice for making the gameplay more fine? I do not think that the number of monsters is a strong factor, just need to use them better, I was thinking about adding an invulnerability sphere to difficult parts of the map, for example, to force the player to rush into the center and start destroying everything around.

Well, thanks again for playing, not everyone was able to beat this map on UV.

@MAN_WITH_GUN, the most interesting gameplay parts were probably infiltrating the dark mazes packed with imps, commandos, and revenants. I think a great way to make the arenas more dynamic would definitely be some sort of visible goodie that rewards the player for rushing in. All of these such encounters are best handled by camping, so something to entice the player would be good. Yes, maybe one of these areas could have an invulnerability. Maybe the plasma gun could be less hidden; I think I got it basically at the end of a fight. 

On 9/22/2020 at 1:05 AM, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: clever layouts, varied enough gameplay, good visuals, could use some more firepower and more / more involved secrets

Thanks for playing! To answer a few of the questions you seemed to have:

In map01, that secret switch you flipped is what lowered the walls revealing the 2 secrets.

In map03, the map is pretty non-linear, you can collect the keys in any order as long as the red key is not first. Both key doors lead to the same room, just a different part of it. The last key you collect is what triggers the final battle, depending on which key you collect last, the fight can end up being pretty different (being in the middle of it if yellow is last, having the high ground if red is last, likely meeting the baron and co. in the hallway if blue is last). This is probably the most non-linear map I've made, and I'm proud of it.

There was originally going to be more maps, probably around 5 or so, but I got bored of the red and silver theme, this is why the weaponry is pretty limited. Also, map03 only uses Doom 1 weapons and monsters, which was a deliberate decision on my part. No one else picked up on that, but I thought you would, you usually do pick up on little details like that, but perhaps it wasn't so obvious since the rest of the set doesn't really have exclusive doom 2 weapons either.

Again, and like always, I appreciate what you do. Keep it up. And I should have another mini set of 4 maps releasing in the next week or so.

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

The number gimmickry seemed like a good idea, but in the end, it didn’t seem to be much of a factor in the map. I thought it was pretty linear without much choice. Some of the progression was clever, like the jumping section and going under the snow. A lot of the fighting was just filler stuff, it seemed. The last mazes definitely wore out their welcome. It was cool once, but then it happened immediately three more times. I did enjoy the initial courtyard fight with hell knights and revenants. I think a little more hinting toward the secret exit would be welcome. I had no idea where to look, even. I think a good secret, including a secret map, at least narrows it down a bit. The only reason I knew the secret existed is because it’s Map 15 and the map itself wrote it on the floor.

Bottom line: A progression-driven map that gets a little long for my liking

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

This map feels incomplete. Almost all of the killing is massive room rocket spam. It’s another series of puzzle-type points of progression that I mostly find at least mildly annoying. I’m not really the target audience for this kind of thing, but I just felt bored. There are puzzles that I will gladly attempt dozens of times for many minutes, but the ones in this wad don’t do that for me. As such, I had no desire to hunt down the secret exit.

Bottom line: disappointingly normal (for this wad) for a secret map

@Kain D.

Doomworld forum topic

This map is just longer than it needs to be. There are some very creative progression ideas, and they’re implemented well except that they’re always duplicated. Why do I have to fight the same revenant battle four times? Wouldn’t the launch pad section be just as fun if I only had to 2-3 sequences instead of a half dozen or so? Too many times I find myself saying, “I already did that.” The visuals are there. The innovation is there. If we could get rid of some of the duplicity and upgrade some of the hallway clearing, this would be a really good map in a really good wad.

Bottom line: Cool stuff that gets repetitive