Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 9:12 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

I know this is now the Unity Port Thread, but it was originally the Add-on thread, so I'm just going to ask, does anybody else think they might add a new add-on to DOOM 64? They are releasing that physical copy (although that's by Limited Run Games), so I'd imagine that there would be some new content available on DOOM 64 to get people to buy it. 

I changed the name of the thread because it had been named 'SIGIL and final Doom and more now available for console ports' but that was way back in December/January when THAT was the news. Since then the thread has been used to discuss pretty much everything to do with these new ports and even Sponge using it to gather feedback and give updates.

So I changed it to a more rounded and relevant name.

Playing UV+ on Doom II and it's pretty fun! Having all the weapons early does permit some satisfying kills in the earlier levels.

3 hours ago, Eurisko said:

I changed the name of the thread ...

Don't forget the PC (Steam and Bethesda.net) version!

Greetings

Funduke

3 hours ago, funduke said:

Don't forget the PC (Steam and Bethesda.net) version!

Greetings

Funduke

Hadn’t forgot those dude but this is the ‘Console Doom’ section. 👍👍

So I was just messing around playing with D4V with the Unity port and I had a random crash out of nowhere when playing it with Doom II. Besides replacing the original 4:3 status bar with the 16:9 one by NightFright, nothing was changed in the mod, but I did notice that sometimes sound effects sound a bit off and overlaps with some sound effects like D4V's chainsaw. Even though it happened with a mod, I'll upload the crash log that was created when the crash happened.

Crash_2020-09-18_213140645.zip

Update: @sponge So something kinda strange happened when trying to play the Unity port with multiplayer, it seems like exiting the multiplayer lobby with the controller that isn't Player 1 causes that controller to override Player 1's position. I was trying to play a bit co-op multiplayer with my brother and I was Player 1 with my Xbox One controller while my brother was Player 2 with an 8bitdo SN30 Pro in XInput mode (both connected via Bluetooth), but he made a mistake when we tried to get our game going and took over for Player 1 in the session, so we backed out and tried to restart the lobby only for me to find out my position as Player 1 was overwritten by my brother's controller, so I had to quit to desktop and relaunch the game for our controller positions reset. Other than that it was kinda neat to play splitscreen like this with a family member in this instance.

Update 2: It seems like some mods will cause the Unity port to slow down horribly like what happened earlier when I was playing D4V mentioned earlier here. I'm going to upload another log file but be advised it is actually 100+ MB in size despite what the compressed size is.

DOOM 2 Unity Logs - D4V session (091920).zip

Edited by AmethystViper : Follow-up report.

I have a question for Sponge. how do you put the files for the WADs into the game? is there something in the code where you can place the files, or do you have to recreate the levels? Sorry if this comment seems stupid, I'm not familiar with code and that stuff, so I'm not sure what's possible. 

5 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I have a question for Sponge. how do you put the files for the WADs into the game? is there something in the code where you can place the files, or do you have to recreate the levels? Sorry if this comment seems stupid, I'm not familiar with code and that stuff, so I'm not sure what's possible. 

The Unity port is still using wad files. From my understanding, Unity is only used as a wrapper for porting. Under the hood, it's the same old code we all know and love.... so to speak.

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

the IWADS are in the same directory as the game, the PWADS are under %USERPROFILE%\saved games\id software\DOOM Classic (or DOOM 2)\WADs.

Want to know something weird. This morning when I was eating pancakes, all I could think about was the latest DOOM add-on. Then, I went onto Doomworld to see if I was right. I think I might have special powers (must be from all the Butterscotch Krimpets I eat)!

Congratulations, @Revae!
Now the people of the world will know for certain what a miracle is!

The best total conversion for vanilla from the get go!

This is really cool news! Thanks @sponge as well as sharing the widescreen assets for Doom, and congrats @Revae, I'm looking forward to playing REKKR!

2300_20200922135110_1.png.8dee04405c0536553a828625ddb1fe56.png

I do have an other weird issue I had with earlier while getting this screenshot to show the new HUD (plus trying out an alternate medkit mod from this ZDoom Forums post) where the game thought I wanted to quit the game when pressing Esc while trying to load an add-on in the Unity port, and every time I pressed Esc it brought up the Quit Game message instead of the Pause Menu. Also belated shout out to @Scuba Steve for the widescreen assets, thank you and I really enjoyed Action Doom 2 as well.

It would be really funny if they got HacX somehow, though I'm not sure what the legal requirements would entail with such an old TC.

4 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

It would be really funny if they got HacX somehow, though I'm not sure what the legal requirements would entail with such an old TC.

Doesn't it just mean they need to get a say-so from Dr. Nostromo? I got the impression he owns all the rights now.

That and also hopefully fixing the crashes caused by HacX and some other mods that were tested back around Page 40 since it's one of the things that does hurt this port's ability to play vanilla and DeHackEd mods for PC and mobile players.

They've really done a number to fix up this port and I love that people outside of the doom community have an easy way to get access to community content, there are still a few bugs & feature requests I can think of off the top of my head, and I wanted @sponge to see them,

• Add fullscreen with minimized status bar, pushing ammo and health count to the sides of the screen and getting rid of the keyboard number display. This means we can actually see the bottom portions of the weapon sprites. The only thing I've found that does it perfectly is the fullscreen statusbar zdoom mod seen below

image.png.216f5dfbdb5fab710b9276dc89c3f4d6.png

• Ask Perkistan if they can use his high quality doom sound effects pack. REKKR definitely uses 44.1 khz audio for it's sounds, so their engine supports it, and having crispier sounds in the vanilla game is a very baseline bit of literal remastering.

• Fix the Unity main menu sticking around after quickloading from death. You'll end up hearing doomguy UNF in the background while you're just moving around. You can also inadvertently save or start a new game when the menu is in this zombie state.

EDIT: This seems to happen specifically when you press the pause button, and then press the quickload button before the unity-based pause screen has had enough time to fully fade in.

This also causes said unity-menu to remain in place after the quickload has taken place, so you have the menu up, but the game is still playing in the background.

• Fix Switch's HD rumble getting stuck after firing and quick saving/loading.

• Add Boom/MDF support for more Vanilla+ modding support if the software licensing allows for it.

• Change vanilla behavior such that pressing a button after death loads the last saved game with the current wad loaded, instead of just pistol starting the level.

• Add more save slots or have them per-addon
Edited by icyjiub

I bough Doom 2 on my switch back when they were in their initial state out of curiosity mostly, and as they've been fixed up they've increasingly turned into *just how I get my Doom fix* every day. The last patch really, really, made them incredible. Before that I had to put the difficulty down to HMP on BTSXE1 because the input lag and deadzone on the sticks. Now they made the controls on switch on par with nightdive's effort with Doom64. I can play on UV by maxing out the thumbstick & gyroscope sens.

• Also I guess having the option to use both Roll & Yaw at once for gyro aim would be good. I use Yaw when I play it on my TV with my switch Docked, and Roll when I play it in handheld mode.

I am on the last level of episode 1 of REKKR, and I have to say, good job! It felt like all the skyrim games mashed into one awesome experience! We need more of the mythological TC's. Are there any Greek ones? I would love to battle a cyclops with the blade of olympus!

I have some feature suggestions, though they're more or less cheats:

• Add the noclip cheat in the cheats menu? Right now the noclip cheat is only accessible on PC with the usual keyboard input, and it would be handy if you're playing an addon on console and you end up getting softlocked somewhere.
  • Add an infinite ammo cheat? I did experiment with an infinite ammo DEHACKED patch, and while it works the first time round (aside from corrupting the ammo counters like it does in vanilla), it seems to be very prone to crashing if you try starting new game sessions in other levels.
  • A rewind feature, to quickly reverse mistakes? Though I'm not sure how feasible this will be, though? The new Duke 3D port actually has this, but it's only usable if you die there.

I do wish they'd reduce the time for weapon switching when using mousewheel or the main switching on console. Obviously on PC there's the numbers to choose weapons but the delay is a bit annoying with mousewheel.

Also, I know this isn't a huge deal but carrying achievements from the console to PC would be a nice added feature.

As far as features go I really just want a full screen option with a minimal HUD. Great job on the port guys, and thank you for REKKR!