Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revae

REKKR - V1.16

I'm pretty impressed with this TC. It's a little hard, but I think it'll be easier after I get used to it. Looking forward to seeing the final release! If you will sell it, I'm ready to pay 5$ (if USD/UAH exchange rate won't rise too much).

@TheNoob_Gamer, you forgot to mention a fake blue potion.

10 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

@RevaeSorry for this weird question. Is there a name list for the monsters? I'm going to do videos for the WAD, so I want to refer them more easily and precisely. Thanks.

Of course there is, it's right at the official site.

Wait a minute, some of these are not really named. Well then, the list compiled by @TheNoob_Gamer from the DEH file does the job then (since some names match those on the site's page, like husk and grotesque).

Edited by MrFlibble

On 3/22/2020 at 1:05 AM, GarrettChan said:

@RevaeSorry for this weird question. Is there a name list for the monsters? I'm going to do videos for the WAD, so I want to refer them more easily and precisely. Thanks.

Weak spiky helmet guys - Former Humans 

Faceless belchers with pointy feet - grotesques

Floaty explodey heads - imps (I never changed it)

Grey things - husks

Sad pink skull heads - sorrows

Trees - treebeasts

Health mimics - health mimics

Floating spider things - skelespiders

Skeletons - stronger ones are skeletowers, and weakers are Skelly bellys.

Turrets - skeleturrets or bone turrets

E2 boss - former king

Weaker E2 boss derivatives - former dukes

Eyeballs are eyeballs

Final boss doesn't have a name really. In the deh I think he's called deathraven or something.

Jackalopes

And mean jackalopes.

Going off memory, since I'm at work. Hopefully didn't forget antthing or misremember. I didnt really plan on naming them as I was going along, so a lot of these are just the names in the dehacked file. Like Skelly belly. Just needed something to differentiate him from the harder version that pops out of the e2 boss.

Edit: didn't notice that this had pretty much already been answered. And with pictures.

2 hours ago, Revae said:

didn't notice that this had pretty much already been answered. And with pictures.

Thanks for at least confirming that my research wasn't a waste.

I'd be happy to do new music tracks for the 4th episode, might be fun considering we have plenty of time now our country is in lockdown for the next 4 weeks at least.

I'll flick you an email some time Revae

That sounds great. I don't think I can have new tracks for vanilla/chocolate since Ultimate Dooms Ep 4 uses E1-3 tracks, but for most other source ports it shouldn't be a problem.

I tried to get REKKR to work on MBF Doom 2.04 (maintenance release), in DOSBox, but planning to run it on a real dos machine later.

I didn't succeed however. The IWAD version gives me the error "IWAD tag not present: rekkrsa.wad".

I tried using the PWAD version in combination with freedoom1.wad (from freedoom-0.12.1), but that gives me the following errors:

R_GenerateLookup: Column without a patch in texture BLODGR1
R_GenerateLookup: Column without a patch in texture BLODGR4
R_GenerateLookup: Column without a patch in texture FIRELAV2
R_GenerateLookup: Column without a patch in texture FIRELAV3
R_GenerateLookup: Column without a patch in texture FIRELAVA

I also tried BOOM 2.02, but it had the same issue.

Is this an issue with the REKKR wads, or is there anything else I should try? If possible I'd like to get one of these two options to work.

Are you loading freedoom first? I've never used boom or mbf doom. Just the windows boom forks.

Don't know if they read custom iwads, and don't know how they handle dehacked patches. Considering they're older ports they might not read deh files, and you won't be able to patch the executable.

This is how I do it for vanilla doom 1.9:

Put a copy of the Dehacked 3.0a in my vanilla doom folder,

then run a batch file that does this:

dehacked -save current.deh -reload -load rekkr.deh
doom -file rekkr.wad -config MOUSE.CFG
dehacked -reload -load current.deh
del current.deh

17 hours ago, Revae said:

Are you loading freedoom first? I've never used boom or mbf doom.

I can confirm the same results with DOS MBF + freedoom1.wad too. IIRC I've encountered this error before with other PWADS (I've used MBF +DOSBox for quite some time), this generally means that the PWAD is incompatible with the legacy DOS versions, but I do not remember the reasons.

IIRC some of the modern WAD compiling tools skip certain internal components when building a WAD, which is okay with modern source ports but might cause incompatibility issues because older ports expect those lumps to be there.

But a quick Googling of the exact message above it seems to indeed have something to do with patches and textures:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1496661

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2124722

17 hours ago, Revae said:

dehacked -save current.deh -reload -load rekkr.deh
doom -file rekkr.wad -config MOUSE.CFG
dehacked -reload -load current.deh
del current.deh

You don't need to use DeHackED like that with MBF, it can do the -deh command like any other port :)

I just tried running Doom 4 Vanilla v3.2.1 BTSX edition on MBF 2.04. This mod was made to run with DOOM2.WAD, uses a dehacked file and should also run with the original Doom 2 exe. I successfully ran it on MBF using the freedoom2.wad. I haven't actually played more than a couple of minutes using a couple of weapons and encountering some monsters, but all seems to be working.

I'll try running REKKR with vanilla doom later, but I was actually looking for a way to run it without requiring the original game. Besides playing it for myself (it looks awesome) I intend to put it on some retro gaming PCs that I'm building and intend to sell. I also put a selection of freeware and shareware games on them. Note that I'm not doing this for profit, just for fun. I just added a bit to your tip jar as well. :-) As long as I don't lose too much money in the process, it's good entertainment. :-D

Edited by TimV

I can look into it. Prolly just gotta delete some patch references or something. Or replace them. 

I gotta make a list of stuff to fix/check. 

And thanks for the tip! The retro gaming PCs sound cool too.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:27 AM, Revae said:

I can look into it. Prolly just gotta delete some patch references or something. Or replace them. 

I gotta make a list of stuff to fix/check.

I just thought that perhaps you could build your own DOS binary? I had the idea of trying the WAD out with the FastDoom DOS port, but apparently you need to specify offsets for data in DeHackEd, because the FastDoom binary is different from The Ultimate Doom v1.9 EXE, and I haven't figured out those offsets yet.

However, I just tried loading the PWAD version of REKKR.WAD with FastDoom 0.3 Ultimate Doom binary (using Freedm Phase 1 IWAD as DOOM.WAD), and it still returns the same patch errors (but at least I get to the title screen).

doom_000.png.23bbb618a0e1e9b80cc8f9430e7e4cab.png

BLODGR1 & BLODGR4: there's a massive gap between the third patch to the right (KS_SEC25 in BLODGR1, KS_S2C25 in BLODGR4), which both are 128x128 in dimension and both are at offsets [1536, 0], and the second patch to the right (KS_SCRB4 in BLODGR1, KS_SC2B4 in BLODGR4), which are both at offset [1792, 0]. So columns 1664 to 1791 are all without a patch in both textures.

BLODGR4:

the leftmost patch, KS_SEC22, is 128x128; the patch to its right is placed at offset [129, 0]. So column #128 is indeed without a patch. This problem isn't present in BLODGR1 where the second patch is at offset 128, not 129.

FIRELAV2, FIRELAV3, FIRELAVA: all three textures are apparently unmodified from Doom (made up of a single 128x128 patch, respectively W73A_2, W73B_1, W73A_1, which are not included in REKKR itself) except for their size which is enlarged from 128x128 to 1024x128. As a result, in all three textures, columns #128 to #1023 are all without a patch.

37 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

I just thought that perhaps you could build your own DOS binary? I had the idea of trying the WAD out with the FastDoom DOS port, but apparently you need to specify offsets for data in DeHackEd, because the FastDoom binary is different from The Ultimate Doom v1.9 EXE, and I haven't figured out those offsets yet.

However, I just tried loading the PWAD version of REKKR.WAD with FastDoom 0.3 Ultimate Doom binary (using Freedm Phase 1 IWAD as DOOM.WAD), and it still returns the same patch errors (but at least I get to the title screen).

doom_000.png.23bbb618a0e1e9b80cc8f9430e7e4cab.png

Yeah, I looked at those textures and the consistent thing between them is segments of the texture where there is no patch. Filling them with dummy patches might work fine, which I did, I just haven't tested it yet since I don't have Boom and haven't used it... I'll test it tonight.

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

[a more detailed explanation of the likely culprit]

JINX!

Also: Just tested it (in mbf doom run in dosbox) after fixing those textures. Seems to work fine now. It'll be in an update coming soon(tm).

Hi, @Revae! I love the hard work you are doing to deliver this.

I'm playing this amazing Total conversion on DoomRetro and i'm near to finish it and, look with what i stumble:

1768338096_SeeingRed.png.96b3037260e68543c6e8b421a2013c63.png

The poor puppy can't come down from the window.

So i guess i will have to restart the map E3M6: Seeing Red ;.(

That should be fixed in an upcoming... fix. Their speed is too high for their chase states... I never ran into any issues until the other day, but one other person had one jump out of the map on him.

Congrats on making this official! It's great so far! and really difficult! I love it!

40 minutes ago, Revae said:

Thanks! Been having fun seeing the response today.

You deserve it, pal! :D
You worked really hard on this project.

Hope you have time to work on the upcoming episode!

On 3/22/2020 at 6:44 AM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

SkeleSpid

Skeleton Spider. That's an awesome name! I thought it was like a floating squid at first, but then realized it was a floating spider. Cool!

I'm playing episode 2, and the ssg replacement turns out to be one of the best weapons! I forget I'm playing doom, so whenever I pause the game, I feel so weird realizing I'm playing DOOM! It is awesome! Probably my favorite Unity add-on!

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

and the ssg replacement turns out to be one of the best weapons

It's probably worth noting that this is a Doom 1 TC (that's why you only have 1 shotgun type in this game) to make room for intricate enemy types and attack patterns.

7 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

It's probably worth noting that this is a Doom 1 TC (that's why you only have 1 shotgun type in this game) to make room for intricate enemy types and attack patterns.

Oh, so what does it replace? 

On 9/23/2020 at 4:08 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

Oh, so what does it replace? 

The pump action shotgun.

Thank you. I just finished Episode 3, and I am on level five of Episode 4. I'm going to have to play that boss fight again, since I took out the deathraven with the BFG replacement. I want to see how beautiful the battle is (like the rest of the battles). Good Job @Revae

So, since REKKR is now a part of the WAD collection for Unity Doom, will be there any more updates? Is the WAD considered to be finished?