Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
URROVA

What special effects you can do with unclosed sectors?

Question

Doomwiki says that unclosed sectors can be used for special effects. Anyone haves examples of what can you do with these?

7 answers to this question

18 hours ago, URROVA said:

Doomwiki says that unclosed sectors can be used for special effects. Anyone haves examples of what can you do with these?

I don't work much with unclosed sectors, but one use which come to mind is to set the speed of a BOOM conveyor.

You can also use it to make light look like it's reflecting off of water or glass. Vex-Zdaemon.wad does this on Map07 in the water sectors. OGL breaks the effect though.

On 9/20/2020 at 3:22 PM, Kappes Buur said:

I don't work much with unclosed sectors, but one use which come to mind is to set the speed of a BOOM conveyor.

How so?

25 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

How so?

You make a linedef in the mid of the space, then you add a special for setting the speed and direction of a conveyor belt (various, one of these is the special 253)

1 minute ago, URROVA said:

You make a linedef in the mid of the space, then you add a special for setting the speed and direction of a conveyor belt (various, one of these is the special 253)

OK. I always just use one of the sides of a sector when I need a control linedef. But I can see how the other would work, too.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:54 PM, Pegleg said:

OK. I always just use one of the sides of a sector when I need a control linedef. But I can see how the other would work, too.

Its good to use this technique, but i like put linedefs outer the playing part of the map, is like putting control sectors, and i can find them more easily

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

You can also use it to make light look like it's reflecting off of water or glass. Vex-Zdaemon.wad does this on Map07 in the water sectors. OGL breaks the effect though.

Very cool effect! I tried to do it and in some cases is very easy to do!

And the best is that works in vanilla!

Edited by URROVA