Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Has there ever been a mod that shows sector flats and "actual thing sprites" on the automap?

What the title says. I remember Duke having a much more appealing birds-eye type automap, although maybe it was just source ports that had that, it's been a few years now. Has any such thing ever been made for Doom?

You can do that in GZDoom in the automap options. And PrBoom+ has a textured automap option too (I dont think it can show the sprites though).

1 minute ago, whirledtsar said:

You can do that in GZDoom in the automap options. And PrBoom+ has a textured automap option too (I dont think it can show the sprites though).

Can GZDoom show things too? I knew it had the textured automap but not if it could show sprites.

I enabled the Prboom+ option just to see and it didn't seem to work, but I'll blame that on being on an unofficial MacOS compile.

I'm pretty sure ZDoom and GLBoom+ support textured automaps, and IDDT in PrBoom+ just shows colored circles.

texture automap.png

In GZDoom you still have to IDDT to see things, but it's actually pretty neat since you can see things with animated and rotated sprites.

d4KrJkG.png

Thank you all so much for the answers!

As a followup, has there ever been a mod for PrBoom+ which allows you to actually see the BFG cone using the birds eye view? I would love to make videos of certain old deathmatch demos, where the extra widescreen real estate is used for a birds-eye automap view.

It would be awesome if you could actually see plays getting caught in the cone from an overhead view! I think it would also be the definitive best way to teach people how the BFG works, as well as just plain being cool to look at.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:48 PM, Moustachio said:

In GZDoom you still have to IDDT to see things, but it's actually pretty neat since you can see things with animated and rotated sprites.

d4KrJkG.png

Weird, when i IDDT in GZDoom it shows all the things as arrows...is this a setting I need to click?

2 hours ago, guitardz said:

Weird, when i IDDT in GZDoom it shows all the things as arrows...is this a setting I need to click?

it is, options -> automap -> show things as sprites -> animated (or rotated)

edit: just checked, rotated shows which direction they are facing and also animates them.

1 hour ago, kalaeth said:

edit: just checked, rotated shows which direction they are facing and also animates them.

It's also better than the Animated option.