Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoyoteComrade

What's the deal with the sailor

Well as I only know the Italian Sailors where added in 0.2 (without any unique sounds at first) that basically are just to replace the SMG Nazi.
The normal map textures where around longer than the sailor itself, but no real connections with the crude poptart man otherwise.
Not sure who added the Sailor or why it and the textures has been still sitting for so long...

I been meaning to finish with the sprites and textures to make something that does tie in with the universe of FreeDoomland (And no one decides to make any real progress on cannon lore yet darn it) but I been at a sort of hiatus time from it as I been having a hard time mentally to finish it properly yet.
My concept goes about rebels that escaped or mutinied from AGM and are willing to take a truce with the aliens and monsters to take down AGM (but are really paranoid and will kill traitors AKA infighting with one another :P), but as it stands FreeDoom Guy looks like one of the AGM employees so they go after him when seeing him.

I think it would be great to add some sprites from Shadow/Rise of the Woolball as the SS replacement, and also some textures from there.

It would be a good nod to our community and also they are pretty fitting as both games made by MSPaintRocks are comedy parodies of Wolfenstein and Rise of the Triad respectivelly.

A lot more fitting than the Sailors at least, i think.

Maybe don't volunteer someone else's work for inclusion in Freedoom with the extremely permissive license that it implies?

4 minutes ago, Gez said:

Maybe don't volunteer someone else's work for inclusion in Freedoom with the extremely permissive license that it implies?

FWIW MSPaintRocks has approved of this idea before.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

1 hour ago, Blastfrog said:

FWIW MSPaintRocks has approved of this idea before.

This^ is why i mentioned it, Gez. I read and check freedoom git, every now and then waiting for new releases. Thats how i knew about this possibility.

What baffles me is that, even with the author approval, they sprites and textures aren't still on the wad...

The only issue with Shadow/Rise of the Woolball sprites is that they don't have rotations, while the SS guards are meant to have them.

I was thinking... another idea could be using sprites from C-Dogs SDL (which is also Free and Open Source, assets are CC0/CC-BY/CC-BY-SA ..though we would need to ask which character graphics would be available in CC0 for it to be used in Freedoom).

The angle is a bit different though, but I wonder if it'd still be serviceable.

cdogs_walk_cycle_jones.gif

Btw, unrelated but they have already done tribute to Doom themselves before by making a campaign heavily inspired by it:

Spoiler

https://cxong.github.io/cdogs-sdl/release/2020/05/27/c-dogs-0.8.html

doom_remaster.png

There's also this character head as one of the options:

helmet_guy.gif

Edited by Ferk

On 9/21/2020 at 7:32 AM, Ferk said:

The only issue with Shadow/Rise of the Woolball sprites is that they don't have rotations, while the SS guards are meant to have them.

I don't think there would be much problem making them seeing how simple are Shadow/Rise of the Woolball sprites.
MsPaintRock wasn't a perfectionist of his sprites, so i think we neither need to.

Also thanks for that game, seems really fun!
I really like top down shooters like Chaos Engine/Soldier of Fortune

On 9/16/2020 at 5:20 AM, Starman the Blaziken said:

Well as I only know the Italian Sailors where added in 0.2 (without any unique sounds at first) that basically are just to replace the SMG Nazi.
The normal map textures where around longer than the sailor itself, but no real connections with the crude poptart man otherwise.
Not sure who added the Sailor or why it and the textures has been still sitting for so long...

I been meaning to finish with the sprites and textures to make something that does tie in with the universe of FreeDoomland (And no one decides to make any real progress on cannon lore yet darn it) but I been at a sort of hiatus time from it as I been having a hard time mentally to finish it properly yet.
My concept goes about rebels that escaped or mutinied from AGM and are willing to take a truce with the aliens and monsters to take down AGM (but are really paranoid and will kill traitors AKA infighting with one another :P), but as it stands FreeDoom Guy looks like one of the AGM employees so they go after him when seeing him.

to be honest... first time I encountered the ss freedoom sprite, I was sure that it was one of the mods in my load order that somehow had sneaked a sprite monster in that was made by like a 9 year old or something.. LOL

NO OFFENSE... But....

SERIOUSLY... the joke monster sprites in MSPaint DOOM actually looks better...

If you needed a placeholder, then why not just recolor one of the existing monsters until a decent sprite was ready?

free doom:

Vs.jpg

mspaint doom:

th?id=OIP.JA3Pb0wumFzKjBqKmFIZYgHaEK%26p

but the sailors story... is the "sailor" some kind of pirate or?

he is definetly one of the monsters that will benefit most when I make all freedoom monsters in MD3 format (once I have complete mastery of blendeR)

I used to do a lot of 3D modelling for open source games like streetrod 3 and others ... plus I did a lot of 3D models just for my self ... just because I felt it was cool to work with 3D software...

this was back in the very late 90s when 3D models were just becoming a thing... I never had any actual training in making 3D models, except learning by doing

after I picked up doom again, by virtue of discovering GZDoom, GZDoom Builder, Freedoom etc... I have decided its time to reawaken my inner 3D artist, and my first step will be to follow various blender tutorials... I will start by following the "donut" tutorial

also

I will need blender skills to create the vast array of space ork vehicles that I plan on using atleast some of, in my after dawn megawad tc project.

I also plan on having 3D models for everything that is supposed to have a sprite... even the newest freedoom is missing some sprites for some of the various floor lamps

btw... how is the default floor lamp in freedoom supposed to emit light?

floorlamps.jpg

Edited by CBM