Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

It's a known problem with SDL 2.0.9 and later and i reported the issue, i compile RUDE with 2.0.8 so controllers work. Also recent SDL versions have the white screen issue with old graphics drivers.

Crispy Doom is acting strange for me. Whenever I try running the .exe file, my computer forbids me from doing so because it allegedly contains a virus. How can I fix this issue?

Is there anyone else besides me experiencing this issue?

12 minutes ago, El Franko said:

Crispy Doom is acting strange for me. Whenever I try running the .exe file, my computer forbids me from doing so because it allegedly contains a virus. How can I fix this issue?

Is there anyone else besides me experiencing this issue?

Yeah Windows Defender is drunk and this happens all the time.  You can tell Windows Defender to ignore Crispy Doom. If you downloaded from fabian's links here there is nothing to worry about.

I have an older version of Crispy Doom, it's great but I would like to know if the newer version supports 320x200 resolution. Could someone tell me? Because I'm not convinced about downloading it due to the virus detection.

Haven't used Crispy since last year, but since updating to the newest version I no longer seem to have control over my MIDI options.

It is defaulting to what I presume to be a soundfont. My real SC-55 through Coolsoft MIDI Mapper and loopMIDI setup isn't working with it anymore :(

Also, SIGIL is above Thy Flesh Consumed in the episode list and not at the bottom. Midi music is also getting incorrectly replaced by that from Sigil.

Edited by braders1986

8 hours ago, braders1986 said:

Also, SIGIL is above Thy Flesh Consumed in the episode list and not at the bottom. Midi music is also getting incorrectly replaced by that from Sigil.

Make sure you are using the regular version of Sigil and not the compatibility version.

18 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

I have an older version of Crispy Doom, it's great but I would like to know if the newer version supports 320x200 resolution. Could someone tell me? Because I'm not convinced about downloading it due to the virus detection.

Yes, just disable "high resolution rendering" in the crispness options.

Crispy Doom vs GZDoom

Okay, this is fairly annoying actually. Crispy Doom is better in some aspects. It's hard to pin down exactly (movement, shooting, framerate, animation, pixel clarity etc.) but going back to GZDoom it feels strikingly inferior.

I experimented with different interpolation and framerate limit settings and GZDoom never feels like Crispy. Is it true that you can't get GZDoom to play like Crispy Doom or can it somehow be tweaked?

Well, a lot of what you mentioned is kind of subjective, but Crispy is very close to DOOM2.EXE, so I'd recommend trying out PrBoom+, Eternity Engine, or even Woof! If you want something that has advanced editing features but feels more like the original. They won't support all the WADs that GZDoom does, but honestly I only break out GZDoom when I need it for a WAD and ignore it otherwise.

1 hour ago, <<Rewind said:

Crispy Doom vs GZDoom

Okay, this is fairly annoying actually. Crispy Doom is better in some aspects. It's hard to pin down exactly (movement, shooting, framerate, animation, pixel clarity etc.) but going back to GZDoom it feels strikingly inferior.

I experimented with different interpolation and framerate limit settings and GZDoom never feels like Crispy. Is it true that you can't get GZDoom to play like Crispy Doom or can it somehow be tweaked?

I have exactly the same feeling. Movement/looking around in Zdoom formerly and GZDoom now feels the worst of all ports I've tried.  If it weren't for the great user content I'd never use it.

I found Crispy felt slightly laggy with uncapped framerate and vsync on though, at least under Linux.  Actually, while I'm here, @fabian, I have a wad I'm working on that works fine in Chocolate Doom but crashes out in Crispy. This was due to a weird way that I laid out the markers for sprites. Dunno if you're aiming for 100% choco->crispy compatibility and I fixed it by changing the marker layout anyway.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:36 PM, braders1986 said:

Haven't used Crispy since last year, but since updating to the newest version I no longer seem to have control over my MIDI options.

It is defaulting to what I presume to be a soundfont. My real SC-55 through Coolsoft MIDI Mapper and loopMIDI setup isn't working with it anymore :(

Can anyone help me with this ?

@braders1986 Thanks, that looks fine. It might be a bug, but it's hard for me to tell, since I'm neither using windows nor a real SC-55.

Being able to figure out the first version in which this problem occurs would be helpful. If you can, try the last version you had to make sure it still works for you, then 5.8.0, then something in the middle until you narrow it down. You can see all the crispy releases at https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases.

With your particular setup I don't think there's a faster way to do the legwork in figuring out where the problem lies, unfortunately.

@plums EDIT:

Fixed. Turns out, nothing wrong with Crispy itself. Was a recent Win10 update that broke Coolsoft Midimapper and needed to be updated.

Everything is working as it should now :)

Edited by braders1986

I've implement an -episodemode parameter to my fork of Crispy Doom that when utilized, adds episode select for Doom 2. The names are kind of generic, but they're based on the Doom 2 episode names outlined in earlier versions of setup.exe

Here's where the various episodes take you:

• The Space Station sends you to E1M1
  • The City sends you to E1M12
  • Hell sends you to E1M21
  • NRFTL sends you to E2M1
  • ML sends you to E3M1 (E2M1 if NRFTL isn't present)

When you finish "The Space Station" or "The City" the episode doesn't end, you just continue the campaign like normal. What do you guys think?

d2 episode select nerve master.png

I've included a zip with the patched exe for anyone that wants to test it out. Just add the "-episodemode" parameter to activate the Doom 2 episodes.

Also, for some reason my compiled copies of Crispy Doom don't create a crispy-doom.cfg and crash on level load, but this can be resolved by overwriting a pre-existing installation with my patched exe. Here's the branch on git if anyone's curious.

https://github.com/CharlesLove/crispy-doom/tree/Doom-2-Episode-Mode

Edited by Charlie Love : clarification

On 9/28/2020 at 10:46 AM, plums said:

@M_W @Mr.Unsmiley in the meantime you could try a joystick remapper like JoyToKey or AntiMicro.

since I didnt get this solution until after she started her playthrough, I'm not sure what she'll think of it, but her current plan is to finish the game on 'hey not too rough' in GZDoom, and then switch to Crispy for 'hurt me plenty,' and I'm hoping she has no problem getting used to AntiMicro cos I gave it a test and I was actually really impressed with it, the control felt a lot more natural than I was expecting

14 hours ago, Charlie Love said:

I've implement an -episodemode parameter to my fork of Crispy Doom that when utilized, adds episode select for Doom 2. The names are kind of generic, but they're based on the Doom 2 episode names outlined in earlier versions of setup.exe.

while I'm not entirely sure if I'd get much use out of this or if it's a change anyone else would want, I definitely appreciate the callback to the game's original setup.  I think it's a cool idea for sure

On 10/1/2020 at 4:30 PM, holaareola said:

I have exactly the same feeling. Movement/looking around in Zdoom formerly and GZDoom now feels the worst of all ports I've tried.  If it weren't for the great user content I'd never use it.

the closer accuracy to vanilla movement is definitely a selling point, but I could just use Chocolate for that.  the thing that really keeps me loyal to Crispy (aside from support for Sigil and NRFTL) is the cosmetic stuff being done in such a tasteful way.  the randomized multiplayer colors on the decorative marine corpses to give the special forces a more varied appearance, the colored monster blood (and I especially appreciated how the crushed corpses went from being all blue/green to having the chunks of meat stay pink when this feature was first being implemented), the brightmaps that simply use the brightest palette instead of adding an actual light source like GZDoom (seeing the bright green/red switches in a dark level looks sooo cool)... imo, combining Crispy with Marphy Black's sprite fix project makes for the best looking version of Doom there is. 

I like the idea of built-in wad selector menus. Loading up DOOM 1 or 2 and being able to select crispy compatible community wads like BTSX, DTWIDI, or No End in Sight, without having to copy and paste files into folders each time that I want to play them.

Currently, using batch files just to load the official iwads in Crispy is a slight nuisance as it is. Even worse when you want to run custom stuff.

Even a selection for the main iwads when you start the executable (like Gzdoom) would be great.

@braders1986 You don't have to copy and paste files into folders to play them (other than maybe unzipping what you downloaded), but I see your point that it would be nice to have a selection. On the other hand, it would move farther away from vanilla style.

Have you tried ZDL or another launcher? It lets you select wads in a folder and probably set some defaults if you want (don't use it so I can't remember).

Also you can set the DOOMWADDIR environment variable within Windows to make loading wads from one location (outside of the source-port's folder) easier.

Just throwing this out there in case you aren't aware :) There are various ways to make it easier to launch.

Here's a pic of my recently reset Doom installation folder. Once it's all set up, nothing about the shortcuts needs to change; I just install updates to the appropriate source-port folders. The dated batch files are wads I always install when starting fresh.

doomdir.png

I've just finished adding custom episode parameters for up to 6 Doom 2 episodes (any more and things start getting glitchy). Usage is pretty easy. Just use -e1, -e2, -e3, -e4, or -e5 and the corresponding map number you want to warp to.

As an example if you wanted to replicate the various implied TNT episodes you would set the following parameters:
-episodemode -e2 7 -e3 12 -e4 21

If you want -e1 to be 1, you can choose not to use it. If you don't specify -e# parameters, it defaults to "The Spacestation", "The City", "Hell". Any more than 4 custom episodes and NRTFL and Master Levels are removed.

879999996_CrispyDoomCustomEpisodes.png.3a9a09b3802ba78a5da82c0c5927c260.png

Edited by Charlie Love

@RottingZombie, how did you set your .bat files to run with your sourceports and cfg files? is there a way to set a environment variable for .pk3 files when creates .bats for play mods or Zdoom´s TCs?

@LincolnPark96

an example of one of the batch files, very simple:

batexample.png

Since I set my DOOMWADDIR to D:\Doom\wads, most source-ports know to just look in there so I don't have to type the full path. Although it would be easy to just add the path to the batch files too, like

crispy-doom -iwad ../wads/doom2.wad

I'm not sure if it will cause ZDoom ports to find .pk3 files in there, but I'm betting it would.

If all this looks like a foreign language, I'd point you toward google to read up on doom's command line arguments (also chocolate doom faq and zdoom wiki etc)

there are tutorials out there on setting up environment variables, but briefly,  in windows type advanced system settings in search bar and you'll see the option that leads to it. Create a new entry and enter DOOMWADDIR as the "variable" and the folder where you store your wads as the "value".

message me directly if you have questions, I don't want to hijack this thread too badly.

Last update for the night. Custom episode names are now possible. Just put the episode name in parenthesis after the map number. Below were the parameters used for taking the screenshot. If you fail to set a name, it will default to "Episode #".

Edit: Updated with a fix for skipped episode names.
Edit: New fix that sadly had to reduce episode count to 5 to prevent issues when autoloading Sigil.

Enjoy.

image.png.40e9a5cf55f2f0874ce50e59f3001bbf.png

-episodemode -e1 1 "Earth" -e2 12 "Hell" -e3 21 "Devil Hive"

image.png.67dec43a1d610241f596f0cb17c55d37.png

-episodemode -e1 1 "Experimental Labs" -e2 7 "Military Base" -e3 12 "Nighttime" -e4 21 "Hellish"

image.png.03408eacb60ffe040a1beb5d4c67389c.png

-episodemode

Edited by Charlie Love

17 hours ago, braders1986 said:

I like the idea of built-in wad selector menus. Loading up DOOM 1 or 2 and being able to select crispy compatible community wads like BTSX, DTWIDI, or No End in Sight, without having to copy and paste files into folders each time that I want to play them.

Currently, using batch files just to load the official iwads in Crispy is a slight nuisance as it is. Even worse when you want to run custom stuff.

Even a selection for the main iwads when you start the executable (like Gzdoom) would be great.

try the program Doom Launcher

doomlauncher1.jpg

doomlauncher2.jpg

6 hours ago, Charlie Love said:

Last update for the night. Custom episode names are now possible. Just put the episode name in parenthesis after the map number. Below were the parameters used for taking the screenshot. If you fail to set a name, it will default to "Episode #".

Sounds like outsourcing parts of the MAPINFO feature set to the command line TBH.

10 hours ago, fabian said:

Sounds like outsourcing parts of the MAPINFO feature set to the command line TBH.

That's a fair assessment. I organize my wad collection through a series of ZDL files and I happened to want an episode list to jump between various maps without making a ton of wad patches for everything. I found popping down some command line arguments was a quick an easy way to achieve this. I still used Doom Writer to makes some custom graphics for Doom2, Plutonia, and TNT, though.

Doom Episodic.png

Doom Episode Names.zip

Edited by Charlie Love

I've been experiencing what could be a bug in 5.9.2.

It appears that if I pause the game in a map that uses a MIDI track and skip to the next map which also uses a midi, this will not reproduce the music immediately but after an uncertain period of time, for example in a quick test today I paused the game for 30 seconds IRL then skipped the map, the music in the next map started after 4-5 seconds. The longer it's paused, the longer will be the delay. However, this doesn't seem to happen to maps with MUS tracks.

I am using the default OPL3 btw.

Hello.

@fabian
There's a somewhat serious demo-compatibility bug in Crispy Doom, when playing / recording demos from No Rest For The Living.
The problem can be reproduced by trying to playback this D2All UV Speed Demo from kokrean: download from DSDA (recorded with Crispy Doom v5.9.2). That demo goes out of sync on Map07 when played in PrBoom+. Conversely, demos recorded in PrBoom+ will go out of sync on Map07 when played in Crispy.

This is because PrBoom has specific code that detects that nerve.wad is loaded, and deals with the weird level layout of NRFTL; namely it removes the intermission screen at the start of Map07, and puts a victory screen after Map08, and a few other changes concerning music and map names. Part of the code can be found here: https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/blob/2607327856d0eddfcef76198a6e81aaadf387c6d/prboom2/src/g_game.c#L1787

However, at the moment of this writing, Crispy Doom does not seem to do this. The removal/insertion of the Map07 intermission screen is the culprit when it comes to desyncs of course.