Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

15 hours ago, Charlie Love said:

Anyone find that the analog controls in comparison to those in the Doom 64 port seem, off? It feels like it's nearly impossible to dial in good sensitivity settings. Either you always turn slow or you always turn fast. It feels like it's impossible to quickly flick to an area and then slowly line up your shot. It's one or the other. You're completely at the mercy of your sensitivity, to the point that aiming almost feels more digital than analog. The Doom 64 aiming is perfect and functions like what you'd expect gamepad first person controls to feel like. It's even worse when switching between handheld and controller mode on the Switch. What sensitivity settings works for one, very much doesn't work for the other. It's a shame, because the port is pretty amazing in every other regard than controls.

I understand what you mean. I find I had to be very particular in finding the optimal setting for me. Out of the 20 notches I use 11/20 with vsync disabled.

Prior to the latest patch i used 13/20. Thanks to the added responsiveness from disabling vsync i had to lower it a bit.

I find its best on these games [edit: ports] to use the lowest you can without it ever feeling like a hinderance. Now the only thing that stops me from hitting demons with every shotgun pellet is my own limitations.

For reference I lower the sensitivity a little in DOOM 64 from default. Always used lower sensitivity than most people. My brain is wired up that way I guess. Either that or I'm heavy handed with the thumbsticks. I'm on PS4, using an Xbox Elite Series 2 (standard thumbsticks, stick tension and software settings) via a Brook Super Converter in Tournament mode.

Finished REKKR (Not episode 4, yet), and it was amazing! I can't wait to see how the team uses more DeHackEd WADs in the future. I don't think there will be any more TC's, except maybe HacX, but that would be difficult to get. I think PC's will be used more often, and there are a whole lot to choose from. I think right now, it would either be DOOM Zero, or Struggle: Anteresian Legacy (I haven't played them, but from screenshots, they looks amazing!). 

Doom Zero is a contender; Antaresian Legacy relies too much on recolored Heretic textures to be one.

YLbkyY3.jpg

The Serpent Riders trident symbol is a big part of the mod's visual identity.

On 9/26/2020 at 2:34 PM, Charlie Love said:

The Doom 64 aiming is perfect and functions like what you'd expect gamepad first person controls to feel like.

Not strange, considering that's a game originally made for a console with an analog stick. Considering Doom 1 and 2 were originally made with mouse and keyboard in mind, Unity Doom is never going to be exactly like Doom 64.

10 minutes ago, hfc2x said:

Not strange, considering that's a game originally made for a console with an analog stick. Considering Doom 1 and 2 were originally made with mouse and keyboard in mind, Unity Doom is never going to be exactly like Doom 64.

The DOOM 3 BFG Edition ports, as well as both XBLA ports have great thumbstick controls.

1 hour ago, hfc2x said:

My introduction to Doom was the XBLA ports. In fact, the original doom had pretty good analog joystick controls, there's just something off with the Unity ports.

Edited by Charlie Love

From recent tests of moving the analog stick to the right, the turn speed hits max when the stick is around 75% of the way to the edge. Basically meaning you only have 3/4 of a stick's length to use for turning speed. If this was actually stretched to a larger area this would likely feel much better. Testing Doom 64, it caps out at about 90% and has a much better acceleration curve because of this. 

On 9/26/2020 at 1:34 PM, Charlie Love said:

It feels like it's impossible to quickly flick to an area and then slowly line up your shot.

I don't think you yourself are doing something right. Autoaim should be on, always, and that cap seems way too low. I don't have switch, but that does not happen on PS4, and it should, since the coding is basically the same. Also, DOOM is supposed to be fast paced, so you shouldn't be turning slowly. I think the controls are perfect, and work out well. 

Edit: I'm quoting another post, but I am also referring to your most recent one. 

Sometimes, when it's difficult to aim precisely with the gamepad, I instead strafe and "aim" that way.

Hmmm.

I seem to be having issues with the new port on Steam with my new PC. Apparently every time there's nothing happening sound-wise (enemy alerts, gunshots) the music will fade out completely until something makes a sound. Even stranger this only happened when add-ons are loaded. the base game itself will play fine, and this issue doesn't happen on my work laptop.

I have a video and I'll post it here when it's done uploading.

EDIT: Okay, I had the video uploaded, but when I played it on Youtube the sounds are working fine. When I played the video file itself it had the issues. I'm so confused right now, is it because of audio codecs or something?

Edited by ZeroTheEro

1 hour ago, ZeroTheEro said:

EDIT: Okay, I had the video uploaded, but when I played it on Youtube the sounds are working fine. When I played the video file itself it had the issues. I'm so confused right now, is it because of audio codecs or something?

Before you go updating/reinstalling any drivers like Rexen suggested, check that your PC is using the correct audio output device.

Go to Start > Settings > System > Sound, and it should be the very first drop-down menu under "Output".

Some USB devices have a tendency to hijack audio settings, it's caught me offguard a lot. Controllers with speakers tend to be a big offender for this.

To add on to Lollie's post. Bluetooth devices can get in the way too, it gets worse if they have a built in mic as sometimes a game while output to that part of the headset instead of the main part of the device. For example my headphones go by WH-CH510 Stereo and also WH-CH510 AG Hands-Free. Games sometimes output to the AG Hands-Free and not Stereo one even if its the one being used

3 hours ago, Rexen² said:

Sounds more like a driver issue, try updating or reinstalling them and see if that fixes the issue.

Doesn't seem to work.

2 hours ago, Lollie said:

Before you go updating/reinstalling any drivers like Rexen suggested, check that your PC is using the correct audio output device.

Go to Start > Settings > System > Sound, and it should be the very first drop-down menu under "Output".

Some USB devices have a tendency to hijack audio settings, it's caught me offguard a lot. Controllers with speakers tend to be a big offender for this.

2 hours ago, Rexen² said:

To add on to Lollie's post. Bluetooth devices can get in the way too, it gets worse if they have a built in mic as sometimes a game while output to that part of the headset instead of the main part of the device. For example my headphones go by WH-CH510 Stereo and also WH-CH510 AG Hands-Free. Games sometimes output to the AG Hands-Free and not Stereo one even if its the one being used

On the other hand, changing from Acer XF240H (connected to DP) to the onboard Realtek solves the issue somewhat. Which is weird because I specified the audio to come from the monitor's speaker jack in the first place.

I think one good way to improve analog stick controls is to add ramping, where the turning speed takes a small bit of time to actually speed up to the max sensitivity when you flick the stick all the way left or right. Doom's keyboard turning had a primitive form of this, and modern games like Halo and Call of Duty do it much more smoothly. That would make small adjustments more precise without sacrificing fast turns.

I want to say Doom 64 on the N64 had this, but I could be remembering poorly. I do know the keyboard turn ramping in Doom 64 EX is smooth as fuck, but I don't remember if that was also part of the original N64 analog controls or not.

Really though other than that I think some small tweaks to curves would be good enough (making 50% turn be achieved with further of a stick angle than currently) to also have a similar effect.

Edited by Tarvis

On 9/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, Charlie Love said:

My introduction to Doom was the XBLA ports.

Oddly enough my introduction to Doom was the original Xbox port of Doom 1 from the Limited Collector's Edition version of Doom. I kinda remember the way of turning around was more digital than it was analog, plus it was much darker than what the PC version is like in terms of brightness/gamma.

I'm not sure why a lot of people are saying that the port has a weird stick movement. I haven't noticed anything, and this topic has only been brought up recently, and the game's been around for a year. I'm not saying people are wrong, I'm just wondering what has happened to it. 

12 hours ago, Tarvis said:

I think one good way to improve analog stick controls is to add ramping, where the turning speed takes a small bit of time to actually speed up to the max sensitivity when you flick the stick all the way left or right. Doom's keyboard turning had a primitive form of this, and modern games like Halo and Call of Duty do it much more smoothly. That would make small adjustments more precise without sacrificing fast turns.

I want to say Doom 64 on the N64 had this, but I could be remembering poorly. I do know the keyboard turn ramping in Doom 64 EX is smooth as fuck, but I don't remember if that was also part of the original N64 analog controls or not.

Really though other than that I think some small tweaks to curves would be good enough (making 50% turn be achieved with further of a stick angle than currently) to also have a similar effect.

You are right Doom 64 and Quake 64 had ramping on the N64. It basically treats the player like they have a moment of inertia, which physically makes sense but also helps a ton with aiming. Quake 2 on the N64, since it was ported by a different company, did not have this and it was a nightmare to control, on any sensitivity setting. It's a bummer since the N64 port of Quake 2 had unique levels and a soundtrack by Aubrey Hodges, but the controls are so awful without ramping.

I've been playing around with controller settings so I can play with a friend who has issues with pain from mouse and keyboard, and I've had good luck with Steam controller configuration to have the right stick emulate mouse, changing the curve to be very steep. Feels nice.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:13 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

I'm not sure why a lot of people are saying that the port has a weird stick movement. I haven't noticed anything, and this topic has only been brought up recently, and the game's been around for a year. I'm not saying people are wrong, I'm just wondering what has happened to it. 

I always noticed it, but I chalked it up to just being because I was playing on Joycons. Now that it's on PC I can feel that it's the same with my Xbox gamepad.

3 hours ago, hfc2x said:

Pretty sure that's a Discord bug.

I would assume it's on Discord's end. I had a look at their bug report process and it is (justifiably) convoluted and not worth me going through to submit this one bug. I posted this bug on this thread so hopefully sponge sees it here. Either that, or someone from id sees my Steam forum thread (lol) and submits the bug to Discord. It's just too much effort for me to go through the bug hunter quiz and verification process to fix this for id.

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

It's just too much effort for me to go through the bug hunter quiz and verification process to fix this for id.

Not my intention to sound rude but this is not a matter of "fixing this for id", if it's Discord that's misidentifying the game. I don't believe this affects in any way the functionality of the game, and it doesn't seem to bother anyone else, so I don't know how is this something id is expected to fix. If it's too much effort for you to go through the Discord report process, why would you think it's less of a hassle for someone else? lol.

Okay, that is it. I have waited too long. Where the F*** is my Unity Quake?! ━╤デ╦︻(▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)

56 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Okay, that is it. I have waited too long. Where the F*** is my Unity Quake?! ━╤デ╦︻(▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)

Unironically this, Q1 and 2 on Steam are notoriously bad, and they need console versions as well.