Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AuroraMoony

Technology Center (Single level, Doom 2, UMDF format)

Hey there! OK, this is my first post here and the first time I've managed to finish a level. It's a basic and really short E1M1 kind of level. I think I made it too short even, but it's intended to be part of an episode. Feedback appreciated!

Info:

IWAD: Doom 2

Map Format: UMDF

Difficulty: Easy

Freelook: No

Jump/Crouching: No

Download

Screenshots:

Spoiler

DR5MYBH.png

BhXipXT.jpg

8FOLPsY.jpg

So this is your first time you finished a level? this looks and plays pretty cool!

I still have no clue on how to get the blue armor, i'll just keep UNFing until i get it

keep up with the mapping dude, I really like this map and music also rocks. 

If this is your first release I'm pretty sure you've been practising! Very good level, it definitely feels E1M1-ish, only way more polished and modern. The choice of only classic textures (plus variations) is pretty welcome for the map's setting. The encounters were good too, a bit on the easy side as expected of a chapter opener but never boring, I almost died when the grates closed behind me.

Found all secrets too, the outdoor area is memorable and looks great. The hidden chaingun has no visual cue though and required some wall humping, might add some sort of indicator in the ceiling perhaps?

Looking forward to play the entire chapter!

This is good stuff.  It has a strong, consistent atmosphere and plays very smoothly.  My only real complaint is that it needs a little more height variation (even though your texture variation between rooms seems right).  Maybe make the central pit lower or one of the side rooms higher with some stairs or something like that?  Obviously not the most difficult map but it doesn't feel inappropriate for an opener.  I'll definitely play more of this.

3 hours ago, DevilMyEyes said:

So this is your first time you finished a level? this looks and plays pretty cool!

I still have no clue on how to get the blue armor, i'll just keep UNFing until i get it

keep up with the mapping dude, I really like this map and music also rocks. 

I've had some years of practice (never got anywhere xD) and played a lot of classic wads. Romero's rules were actually very helpful also to have a general level design direction. Thanks for giving your time for this my dude, also I forgot to mention, the song is Spirit in Black by Slayer, I chose it because it added to the "classic" feel.

49 minutes ago, Juka said:

If this is your first release I'm pretty sure you've been practising! Very good level, it definitely feels E1M1-ish, only way more polished and modern. The choice of only classic textures (plus variations) is pretty welcome for the map's setting. The encounters were good too, a bit on the easy side as expected of a chapter opener but never boring, I almost died when the grates closed behind me.

Found all secrets too, the outdoor area is memorable and looks great. The hidden chaingun has no visual cue though and required some wall humping, might add some sort of indicator in the ceiling perhaps?

Looking forward to play the entire chapter!

I've been struggling with level editing for 4 years xD I have a real hard time finishing projects, so whenever I started a level I would build the starting room, over-detail it and then have no idea how to progress with it and delete it. Eventually I kinda moved on from Doom, I just came back recently and, I don't know what happened, but this one just... came out naturally. I agree about the chaingun secret, to be honest I just wanted to cram another secret in and didn't think it through, I'll see what I can do, good tip. Thanks for playing it and commenting, I'll see if I can end my struggle and finish this project for once lol

18 minutes ago, Salmon said:

This is good stuff.  It has a strong, consistent atmosphere and plays very smoothly.  My only real complaint is that it needs a little more height variation (even though your texture variation between rooms seems right).  Maybe make the central pit lower or one of the side rooms higher with some stairs or something like that?  Obviously not the most difficult map but it doesn't feel inappropriate for an opener.  I'll definitely play more of this.

Originally I was going to add a set of stairs to the keycard area and make the central outside area deeper but I never came to it. Nice tip, I think I could go back to my previous idea, and also add some variation to the terrain outside. By the way, thanks for playing it! I'll try to finish it!

You've clearly had a lot of practice and studied hard because this is really nice. Super simple but very well put together. Design is consistent, texture-work is well thought out, there's some fun secrets, combat is fluid, it all just works together quite well. Nice job fam, I'd love to see more. Oh and welcome to Doomworld!

A decent set of hallways with some nice colourful lighting to boot! The hallway part for some reason made me think of E1M3... dunno why .-.

I was able to find 50% of the secrets pretty easily. (I like easy secrets. :D).

Difficulty here is actually quite easy, even for my standards (I complain about difficulty a lot XD).

The detailing here is actually kinda impressive, especially since this is your first map uploaded? I mean, if this is your early stuff you've got a bright future ahead. Keep up the great work! :D

One slight over sight, the battle area for the red key is very easy to cheese since most of the enemies came to me before the bars lowered behind me, making the trap partially pointless (Maybe using the "ambush" flag will help keep them in the room more or heck, add an extra trap after I grab the key with like 3 imps inside).

Those are some nice videos, thanks guys! I've been away for a while, but I worked on this map  again, following some of the tips here and making some small tweaks. I've increased the difficulty a little and changed some monsters for Hurt Me Plenty. I updated the file in the main post. I'll post about my project when I have some levels done. I haven't got work done on Map 2 yet ^^"

Just had a crack at this. Very nice. Short and sweet, and definitely more polished than the OP might suggest... 75% secrets. Probably have another crack later on. Keep it up, be good to see more

Very nice. I like the subtle changes and new demonic additions. An improved challenge for sure and the combat flows better and is more dynamic and fun now. Good stuff, Gunkye. 

Technology Center

Ultra-Violence || GzDoom || Angled Doom

Status
*Deaths: 0
*Saves: none

Screenshot_Doom_20201009_052038.png.0393b6c52035bd8fa1d2c8c2baa5121a.png

A great Wad in which the decoration of all the areas is observed with a very technological detail, from when the green vest is collected at the beginning, to the fight against the Hitscanners and some Hell Knights in the room with the red key, everything It really looks spectacular, although not as spectacular as it is to find the blue vest outside the corridors, but more importantly, it is the fact that at this level there are, for the most part, Shotgunners prepared to shoot anything that moves Adding to that the inclusion of Pinkys running all over the place, some Imps that appear at the beginning and in the room on the level below, and the Hell Knights found in the same room... Regardless, it really doesn't sound as bad as believe, the real problem here, are the gunmen who are in strategic areas to attack, but now getting rid of them, everything is no longer complicated, to make it summarized, I really had a great time with this map / wad, I enjoyed it It is quite a lot and without a doubt that everything that I had visual was interesting to me, excellent work well done here.