Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMagicMushroomMan

I will make free mp3 music for you!

I wanted to know if you guys would be interested in a thread where I post free mp3s that I make. I would be open to requests. Just give me a genre/style and I will do what I can. I use Mixcraft as my audio workbench, I don't play any real instruments, but I can create something that sounds good.

You would be free to use the mp3s in any wad or project you want, all samples and sounds used are royalty free. Just remember that they are mp3s only, I don't have knowledge with MIDI.

Ohh thats lovely, @TheMagicMushroomMan!
Thanks!
mp3 music would be greatly appreaciated for sure by those who like to try more experimental things on GZDoom.

I know that you said mp3, but do you know how to work with midi?
There is a high fever for new midi music around here.
And a lot of mappers would certainly appreciate a new composer that accept request.
And you can also mix them into mp3 later with things like arachno soundfont, and they give really awesome result as mp3. 

Okay, so I've been toying around with the idea of composing MIDIs, but I have no idea how to make GM files. I work with MIDI in my DAW all the time for individual virtual/external instruments, but I have no idea how to put everything together as a GM file, using only GM instruments, etc.

1 minute ago, M_W said:

Okay, so I've been toying around with the idea of composing MIDIs, but I have no idea how to make GM files. I work with MIDI in my DAW all the time for individual virtual/external instruments, but I have no idea how to put everything together as a GM file, using only GM instruments, etc.

What daw's are you comfortable with using usually?

Just now, kwc said:

What daw's are you comfortable with using usually?

My preferred DAW is Studio One. I've a copy of an ooooold version of Ableton SOMEWHERE, and I'm p sure I've got an old copy of Pro Tools 10, but fuck plugging in a USB key to use software in the year 2020.

I don't know if simply suggesting software will be any help, but to make GM compatible MIDIs I use TuxGuitar (free alternative to Guitar Pro) and Sekaiju. I know some people have successfully used FL Studio, Anvil Studio and Synthesia, but I haven't got any firsthand experience with them.

20 minutes ago, M_W said:

... Ableton ...

This is the only one of those I am familiar with, I have managed to use ableton to compose gm midi stuff before, although I still need to use other midi-based DAWs like Anvil, Sekaiju, and this site in order to finalize the product. It's a bit more laborious of a workflow as opposed to doing it entirely in Anvil or Sekaiju but if you are comfortable with the composition workflow of Ableton (and enjoy it's midi features), it's pretty great in comparison.

Spoiler

image.png.eb62ca4e4d16f818f28495243e7a1156.png
make sure you set your output to your computer's midi synth, make sure each of them occupy a different channel (drums at ch. 10)

M9Q6crO.gif
you can pick which program/patch from here, might want to have a printed list handy

image.png.b013642acb28c03424fa9b939bd48f27.png

after you're finished composing, export each midi track separately, might help to name them after the patch you have chosen

Then bring it into here: 
image.png.9f3c994ddec50e19ed30e2c7d20e777d.png

From here, give it a listen, sometimes the midi program information isn't accurate (especially drums, which need to be output at channel 10 afaik)

If you need to clean it up, from here, you have to suck it up and pick one of those midi-based DAWS to set things up again, although if things work out, you've avoided having to compose within them, which is probably the hardest part for me about them.

Here's the template I use (ableton 10), hopefully it works for you too:
kwctemplate.zip

This workflow is still WIP for me, but I have succeeded in making some looping .mid files with this method before. 

I'll have to see if I can track down my old copy of Ableton. From a quick Google search, it looks like Studio One does not allow setting the output of MIDI tracks to Windows' GM synth, nor support program changes.

Thanks for the help, anyway. This gives me a place to start.

EDIT: Yeah, my old copy of Ableton got lost in the move. Even if I had the money to buy a new DAW, I wouldn't do it just for this, and honestly composing in all the freeware I've messed with is frustrating, which defeats the purpose, because I'd like to do it for fun.

Edited by M_W

@TheMagicMushroomMan
If I were to ever do a musical MP3-based request of sizable portions and DOOM quality rock; I'd try something surreal.

If it's possible, may you make a psychedelic-rocker that's heavy, but primarily mind-bending. As if you were playing doom on nightmare whilst on a drug of considerable mind-melting origin.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Hopefully I will have something to upload today. I have a metal track I've been working on, kind of a combination of Sigil and Quake 2.

Maybe that will work for you, @Deathclaw886?

@Zillah, I like that idea, I'll work on something psychadelic/surreal but still heavy. Probably what I'll work on next.

@P41R47, Thanks for the appreciation! I don't know where to start when it comes to MIDI, but I'll look into it, I've always wanted to learn.