Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HQDefault

Could you play doom using Morse Code?

Okay hear me out-

Set something up on your computer to read morse code imputs from the spacebar.

Bind different "letters" to different actions, even if you can only input one at a time.

I wanna see if this is possible

I don't think this is possible perse, but i do think it is possible to play the Doom Epic theme in morse code.

Maybe, but why? There would be no purpose to it other than earning the bragging rights, "I played DOOM with Morse code!" It would not be very fun. You would have to click the space bar like 1000 times just to turn right. LoL

16 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

There would be no purpose to it other than earning the bragging rights, "I played DOOM with Morse code!"

Yes.

I'm glad we're on the same page.

The problem with this idea (well, one of them) is that when playing a game like Doom, releasing the key is as important as pressing it. I guess you could specify that each press lasts a certain duration, and so morse-coding out "forward" will only move you a step forward.

I don't think it's possible to win the game like this. Maaaaybe on ITYTD, but it would certainly be tedious. You could probably do it with -nomonsters.

It might be possible to make a one-button input system tailored to playing Doom that works a little better. For instance, when no buttons are being pressed, Doomguy moves forward, periodically pressing use. Pressing the spacebar causes him to fire once, as well as start circle-strafing to the right until the spacebar is released. Double-pressing the spacebar causes you to change weapons and also walk backwards, or something. And so on.

6 minutes ago, plums said:

The problem with this idea (well, one of them) is that when playing a game like Doom, releasing the key is as important as pressing it. I guess you could specify that each press lasts a certain duration, and so morse-coding out "forward" will only move you a step forward.

I don't think it's possible to win the game like this. Maaaaybe on ITYTD, but it would certainly be tedious. You could probably do it with -nomonsters.

It might be possible to make a one-button input system tailored to playing Doom that works a little better. For instance, when no buttons are being pressed, Doomguy moves forward, periodically pressing use. Pressing the spacebar causes him to fire once, as well as start circle-strafing to the right until the spacebar is released. Double-pressing the spacebar causes you to change weapons and also walk backwards, or something. And so on.

I'm not saying we need to beat the game, just play through like 3 levels maximum.

And as for input durations, I was thinking something simple like "walk forward for 2 seconds", "turn 15 degrees", etc.

I'm imagining something similar to what this guy did with playing TF2 using voice commands 

3 minutes ago, HQDefault said:

I'm not saying we need to beat the game, just play through like 3 levels maximum.

In that case sure, you could probably beat E1M1-E1M3 on ITYTD with this kind of system.

It should be possible to set this up using AutoHotKey. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll write a script that can do it.

If Morse code was used to control what keys are pressed by a keyboard, I’d say maybe, but my biggest question is why? Other than for curiosities sake, I see no benefit. The whole point in understanding Morse code is to be able to receive and send messages in Morse code. Playing a video game that uses Morse code just to control the Doomguy isn’t going to teach them how to understand Morse code in any meaningful way. 

I think it would be more interesting to be able to use Morse code to send out messages to team deathmatch players, but only if the player just had to type their message in and it outputs it as a Morse code signal. Then, enemy teams that didn’t know the code wouldn’t know what was being said. 

This depends on how you could control the inputs. Ideally it could work as long as you can use the morse code commands to turn an input on or off.

For example, ".--" is "W", you press it once and it will turn the W key on (making you move forward). Another .-- would turn it off and make you stop moving."-.." would be "strafe right, and so on.