Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

My favourite source port has to be GZDoom. It's overrated, but it gets the job done. Plus it's more capable of mod compatibility, so that's amazing! PrBoom+ is decent, and it's good for a vanilla experience, but GZDoom will always be my favourite!

gzdoom for mods, pr-boom for vanilla, Chocolate doom and DOS-BOX for True vanilla, crispy doom and doom retro for enchanced True vanilla. 

We literally had this topic multiple times the past few months in various variants.

Just use the search and you will find very similar answers.

There are so many things about Doom, why do we keep on reiterating the same questions over and over like the search does not exist?

No offense to the OP or anything but @Ari-Sketoboy did you do a search if any?

Edited by Redneckerz

It's a hierarchy for me based on my needs:

1. Crispy Doom is my primary.
  2. prBoom+ at a crispy resolution of 856x480 for wads that require Boom.
  3. LZDoom also at a crispy resolution for when ZDoom specific features are needed.
  4. GZDoom is pretty much reserved for wads that go far beyond the original Doom experience.

How on earth is GZDoom "overrated"? I doubt the modding community would be half the powerhouse it is today without it. Some of the best wads out there require GZDoom. Also, you do realize that Graf is active on these forums, right? Not too polite of you, I'm calling the cops!! :p

I like LZDoom for the range of hardware it runs well on, personally. I've yet to try Eternity, though I probably should.

Also still like Boom b/c it can natively support the OPL chip in my retro setup, lol.

I use gzdoom for its many mods, but I might try something like crispy doom for a more vanilla experience. 

I was all about ZDoom back in the day but literally became a filthy Boom-er at some point and play glboom-plus 2.5.1.7um now, for the demo compatibility, extremely efficient performance, and mostly-vanilla experience.

I remember when glboom-plus was the only port that could run nuts.wad at an acceptable framerate and I wonder if that was the moment that changed me.

15 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

I was all about ZDoom back in the day but literally became a filthy Boom-er at some point and play glboom-plus 2.5.1.7um now, for the demo compatibility, extremely efficient performance, and mostly-vanilla experience.

I remember when glboom-plus was the only port that could run nuts.wad at an acceptable framerate and I wonder if that was the moment that changed me.

I did sort of the same, started with GZDoom, then went to PrBoom+ I think after watching decino and wanting a more vanilla experience with some extras.  I am now big on Crispy Doom and use that for my demo recording for non boom stuff mainly because I found the controls to be somewhat "muddy" and I am not sure why.  I don't know if it was a mouse thing, keyboard, or just a slight lag in inputs but for whatever reason Crispy is much more responsive.  I find Crispy Doom to be my favorite thus far for easy configuration, smooth and snappy control, and with widescreen scaling now it is pretty nice.  I don't know if PrBoom+ 2.5.1.7um would have better control feel now I should probably check it out.

As a side note, I have been watching Fabian work their butt off on Woof and watching how that is coming together.  If we end up with a "Crispy Boom/MBF" so to speak that would be pretty nice.

PRBoom+/GLBoom+ for recording and watching demos.

Zandronum for multiplayer, mostly vanilla gameplay co-op on custom map sets but also Shotgun Frenzy, GMOTA, and Master of Puppets.

Edited by DOEL

Speaking of mods, I tried loading Brutal Doom and HDOOM at the same in GZDoom, and I honestly thought worked when it brought me to the title page. When I started E1M1, I was greeted with a million Revenants spawning and killing me, with a message of "Brutal Doom detected" and it made me jump. You have to give credit to HDoomGuy for that one.

2 hours ago, Ari-Sketoboy said:

Speaking of mods, I tried loading Brutal Doom and HDOOM at the same in GZDoom, and I honestly thought worked when it brought me to the title page. When I started E1M1, I was greeted with a million Revenants spawning and killing me, with a message of "Brutal Doom detected" and it made me jump. You have to give credit to HDoomGuy for that one.

Do I? There's the same thing in Demonsteele IIRC, and I didn't bother to verify but I think it predates HDoom. If so, you'd have to give credit to @TerminusEst13 instead!

Doomsday, Legacy, Vavoom  and of course WINDOOM!                                                                                           (duckandrun)

I used to use GZDoom alot. But lately I've been craving a more purist experience.

Crispy Doom and Woof! ( for singleplayer)  Zdaemon and Odamex. (for multiplayer) 

I use different ports for different purposes and to cater to my wildly fluctuating tastes. At the moment, I am enjoying Crispy Doom the most, followed by Doom Retro, since I am mostly playing Ultimate Doom wads. I also regularly use PrBoom+ and GLBoom+ for more modern Doom 2 wads (currently Struggle and Rowdy Rudy 2). I also like to play around with Eternity from time to time (especially with Valiant). GZDoom is reserved for mods (like Final Doomer). Oh, and for iwads I use Chocolate.

~ Singleplayer ~

For vanilla gameplay, I use Crispy Doom and PrBoom. However for stuff like gameplay mods and/or mapsets that are UDMF, I use GZDoom to do so.

~ Multiplayer ~

For 'preferably' vanilla gameplay, I typically play ZDaemon, Chocolate Doom and DOSBox (usually at "DOSBox Deathmatch Club" discord). However when I'm in the mood to play gameplay mods online, I go for Zandronum.