Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM Bear

What kinda work do you do / what would you like to do for work?

Hey all :-) 

Thought this might be a bit of a fun community building topic!

What kinda work do you do / what would you like to do for work?

For me, I used to be a mechanic straight outta school but now do office work :-) As for what I would like to do, I have no idea :-P

As always with these more personal topics, feel free to be vague If you prefer :-)

I slice up YouTubers videos into sizzling chunks of hot, bloody meat to appease the great dark demonic god ALGORITHM! Satisfying its insatiable hunger for content so it may grant them another day in their putrid lives so they may serve up even more content for me to slice. A perpetually-vicious cycle of agony and torment in the name of internet entertainment... But hey, it's a living.

*Freelance video editor, mainly work for YouTubers.

Edited by Biodegradable

I currently work as a web developer for a healthcare related business, designing a web based frontend for many forms that are used, which can create PDFs from them. I use HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP. I love the work, but the pay isn't great and my hours are severly cut due to COVID. Due to the nature of the job, I am unfortunately unable to work from home (HIPAA stuff).

I want a new job that pays better but I'm going to miss coding.

I'm a college student, and currently do no job since I'm told to focus on my college. Once I've graduated, I'd like to continue to postgraduate and perhaps get a part-time job related to translations.

No idea really, at this stage anything that allows me to make a decent living is good enough for me, got no dreams or illusions of grandeur to share here.

I'm still a student - fifth year at this point since I failed to graduate -, and didn't manage to get a job at all so far. I've applied to many places over the last couple of months, but either got no answer, or they weren't hiring, so I've resigned from searching for one in the foreseeable future, I'm definitely not landing anywhere this year, and probably beyond.

So for now I'm enjoying unemployment.

I'm paid to be a Vehicle Data Researcher for a company that provides software and technical database services for the automotive industry. It's the probably the best job I've had so far, as I'd previously been bouncing between either minimum wage crapwork or well-paid but very temporary agency jobs. Thankfully the company set up my colleagues and I for home working before the UK started enacting restrictions, so I've been able to work full-time even with the office being closed.

What would I prefer to do for a living? Well a big dream of mine is to have enough money to study cosmology and/or astrophysics at the university level. Or possibly nuclear engineering for something a bit more practical. My current job is nice enough, but the prospect of discovering something new about the universe, or contributing to the development of a post-carbon economy, sounds like something truly worthwhile.

Known the meaning of the phrase chained to a job?

Well thats how working on a newspaper post is.

It was my grandfather's job, my father's job and now mine.

Its easy to do, but every year money income is less while life becomes more expensive.

So in my spare time, that is not much, i write stories.

I would love to live as a writer, but in my country publishing is nothing.

I found really good books that are self published and nobody knows. These books are far better than some bestsellers. But well, things doesn't work on the side of quality. What matters here is having a big name on the cover art that can be reproduced on quantity.

But only if you are sponsored by a big multinational publishing house you are able to make a living of this in my country.

The rest, well we live to write, and in our spare time we have a job that let us live a little longer to suffer a little less.

But usually it goes the oposite way...

No stable job at the moment, the few stints I've had at anything resembling work I got through my parents. Even then, I've only ever done more or less basic entry-level stuff. Tried applying to several different jobs on my own, but the farthest I ever got was a job interview or two - never heard back from anyone.

I'm slated to graduate vocational school this month (to become a "professional" drummer), and music is one of, if not my biggest passion. I may have contemplated alternative lines of work over the years, but music is ultimately the thing I always come back to. So ideally, I'd love to make a living doing something on that front, preferably as many different things as possible. I want to be a studio drummer, I want to be a music producer, I want to be a mixing engineer, I want to be a VGM composer. I'm a firm believer in following your dreams, and I'm following mine. Hopefully it pays off eventually.

Nearly graduated as a practical nurse, no assignments left to do, just waiting for a teacher to grade one course. I'll start working on some game development to make a new portfolio to apply for some game development jobs or just to refresh my skills to apply for a school about 3d modeling and animating next year.

So it seems the nurse stuff was not what I wanted to do, and the work experience I have from it, are for places that are not open, only do stuff online or allow fewer people inside, and thus are not hiring new employees. Although I do some volunteer work at a Gender Diversity & Intersex Centre of Expertise. I've been as an instructor in support groups there, which now have been online only. Other than this volunteer instructor work, I want to do something creative.

Did 20 years in teaching, ended up crashing and burning, got out in order to avoid ending up in a cardiac ward, a psychiatric unit, or even a mortuary, LOL. Have been without a permanent job ever since, but don't regret it.

My actual job description within my company, according the mailing system and Teams, is "Tech Lead". This is, at best, a total misnomer. I'm the most junior person in my team by far, and am more of a Public Cloud generalist (I'm certified in AWS and Azure, and have done very little with either "in anger"). My paygrade is "Associate - Projects", which feels a lot more accurate, because it's incredibly vague and encapsulates the variety of stuff I'm supposed to be au fait within my role. As I work for a gigantic global Professional Services corporation in their Cloud Architecture Transformation team, recently promoted from a graduate-entry scheme, I do a lot of odd jobs tat seem to always involve spreadsheets, email and very occasionally public cloud technologies. When I get the time (i.e. not actively on a project), my job is primarily to "skill up" by racking up certifications, which I've done pretty handily over the last couple of years or so.

The goal of this is to be like my colleagues - guys who sell the big company services to other big companies, earning a six-figure pay packet in the process. They know loads of stuff, somehow balance multiple clients and high workload demands with time to study the latest advances in tech, meeting quarterly assessment objectives and get the odd certification. The also earn the big company millions with successful sales.

What I'd really like to do? Never work another day in my life, live a lifestyle of comfort and leisure and, ideally, as little responsibility as possible. I hate working, and have had many jobs in multiple careers now. Yet to have enjoyed a single one of them. The key difference with the one I have now is that I can see a future that seems acceptable.

Well since I'm 17, I don't have a job. I'm still in school (1 year left till I finish it. But I'm thinking of becoming a graphic designer or specializing in servers and networking. All I had so far was a summer job, and thats it. But for now, all I'm thinking about is finishing school.

I'm a publisher. I sometimes find time to write too.

I just kind of drifted into that, going with the flow. If I had been more ambitious I might have put my maths degree to use by becoming a stockbroker and having a nervous breakdown or heart attack in my 30s. So yeah.

I read electrical meters for work.

This job isn't always as easy as it sounds, and sometimes I wish I have drones or had Kitty Pryde powers to help me read.

I am a Red Seal Journeyman Carpenter and a Journeyman Scaffolder, and quite frankly there is nothing I would rather be doing. Love my job.

3 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

I read electrical meters for work.

This job isn't always as easy as it sounds, and sometimes I wish I have drones or had Kitty Pryde powers to help me read.

Is there like a guide to reading your own meter? (Canadian)

15 minutes ago, Korozive said:

Is there like a guide to reading your own meter? (Canadian)

Guide? Grab your binos if it's on an elevated position, stare at your meter and hope you can see the numbers and your eyes are not playing tricks on you.

1601695362276_6717997264777032181.jpg.10b35b445fcf46365462e0181b9bfbf7.jpg

My power company has a method where you as a customer can submit your own reading aka SMR (self meter reading) via customer portal over the net, but that's Malaysian stuff. I don't know if there's a Canadian equivalent for that.

I was a cook assistant for two years as my first job back in 2015 till 2017.

Then I became a fruit & veggie guy at a hypermarket & I'm still working there. I really like it but it's a basic job every high school graduate can do. Luckily, COVID didn't have an effect on my job. In fact, I got paid a bit more by the company & the government.

Never had a dream job but would love to work something that pays me more than the current job obviously & so that I don't feel like a basic worker.

I graduated college, specifically accounting because as I said, I had no dream jobs. Just wanted to have a bigger degree than just high school.

I'm a student right now, but I want to work in something related to programming, maybe software engineering.

I still do not work because I am still a student, but I hope to graduate from telematic Engineering

Still a college student. First semester of law school/degree? But I'm currently on a sabbatical year. Is not really the thing I want since becoming a lawyer is not the greatest thing ever, but there's nothing else I'm good at. I would like to study anthropology, geography or any study that allows me to approach the roots of humanity and explore, but there's no such thing here. Careers that generate money is everything that matters here, sacrificing your sanity and possibly your morals/ethics on the proccess.

My dream job is to become a writer. I currently have 2 books on WIP, which even if I finish them, will probably never be published because the reading industry is non-existent in my country, so I hope one day to escape from here. One can hope.

Once im out of high school I want to work in my family trades business where we install air conditioning and gas lines into unfinished houses, but as a hobby I will still make music and yt vids :)

Home office. 

I'm just want a work that make me feel good on learning stuff. And earn more.

I write posts about DOOM.

In my spare time im Tech Maintenance in Medical IT, involving everything around computers, printers, scanners, certificates, accounts, mobile devices, networking, and so on.

A man of a 1001 hats, you see.

Recording engineer for a K-Pop production house in Hollywood. I record songwriters and producers and mix the demos to pitch to labels. I also record the artists they manage and do some of the mixing for that. It's K-Pop but it's fun and was the first and only place I applied to after graduating recording school. Aaaand I've been on unemployment since May, which is why I've been more active on here than usual. Honestly I think I'm just a freelance mixing engineer at this point.

Electrician. I put all of the electrical wiring and components in your home so it can be livable. I also do HVAC sometimes since it's part of the business I work for. It's not the best job in the world, but it pays pretty well.

My dream job is to be a creative director for games. More specifically, I want to make an FPS that will put a lot of modern day FPS games to shame. I'm tired of seeing soulless, unimaginative, cookie-cutter trash only being made for a quick dollar...But this will probably never happen, because it's a "dream job".