Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hisymak

What is your most favourite Heretic episode?

I like all the vanilla Heretic episodes, but I would say my most favourite is Episode 3. Out of the first three episodes, it brings the most content (i.e. all available Heretic monsters) and I love the theme and interesting design of levels - a city in underwater domes, with lots of azure wall textures and water pools everywhere. I like E2's lava and volcano theme too, but the levels feel simpler design.

Of the two additional episodes, I feel I like E5 more than E4, as it seems to bring more interesting levels to play. However, the final level of E5 was a big letdown - just a simple arena level with lot of Maulotaurs.

Hard to pick one but would rank them as E2 > E1 > E3. The first episode is fun to storm through and the maps are recognizable but find maps 4 and 5 bit of slog to 100% in speed play. Episode 2 is consistently the best with its killer atmosphere, unorthogonal design and weredragon placement. I like the bathhouse and royal aesthetics of episode 3 but most of the level design consists of generic and maze-y corridors. There are some memorable places though like the starting rooms of maps 3 & 6 and the blue key room of map 7. E3M6 is also one of my favorite maps in the game.

E2 is very memorable for me and have lot of cool environments: volcanos, ice, catacombs and portals. Plus the new monsters and weapons.