Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Snatch the Sphere

Karthik Abhiram e-mailed me to let me know of his latest drawing added to his site, Karthik82.com. It's called Get the Megasphere, and is pretty cool.

The idea for this picture, I originally got when I scribbled the Doom marine (in the pose from the Ultimate Doom's cover artwork) on a newspaper, reaching out for a megasphere. This time, the drawing is based on both the Doom and Doom II cover artwork.

It makes me wonder... WTF does the DooMGuy DO with the soulsphere? Shit does he eat it.. absorb it? Throw it in the Bottomless backpack? what?

Seeing as how the megasphere looks like it is either some form of liquid or energy, I'm guessing he absorbs it...

Which brings up the question of how a few dozen stimpacks can cure rocket damage. The more bandaids the better, I guess. He puts them on fast. =P

My best guess with any of the "spheres" is that they're some sort of energy source and can be absorbed into the body.

Nanami said:

Which brings up the question of how a few dozen stimpacks can cure rocket damage. The more bandaids the better, I guess. He puts them on fast. =P

Stimpacks contain syringes - my guess is that these syringes contain some sort of advanced healing drug that makes your wounds heal faster than normally (it should be well known to anyone that the human body is able to slowly regenerate itself albeit to a degree).

Anyways, I wonder how the Hell this drawing made it to the frontpage - I've seen plenty of drawings better than this one and none of 'em made it into news on the front page.
I suppose this artist is someone special...

I like it. Nice style (suggestive of the original artwork, and giving the impression of the doomguy's solitude.)

It's alright, although I have seen better. And some people would tell you I've done better, but that's besides the point. I'd just like to say this right now though, I'd like to see more original artwork. This guy isn't too bad, but from what I've looked through on his site he just uses other peoples ideas or actual people as the subject for his art. This is alright to a degree, but if you're going to show your art to the public, I think you should make it original. I'm not insulting him here, I'd just like to see what he can do on his own, I'd imagine it'd be pretty good.

dsm said:

Anyways, I wonder how the Hell this drawing made it to the frontpage - I've seen plenty of drawings better than this one and none of 'em made it into news on the front page.
I suppose this artist is someone special...

Maybe because this artist e-mailed or contacted a DW staff member and said "PLZUPDATE KTHXBYE".

dsm said:

Stimpacks contain syringes - my guess is that these syringes contain some sort of advanced healing drug that makes your wounds heal faster than normally (it should be well known to anyone that the human body is able to slowly regenerate itself albeit to a degree).

Either that or since this is in the future, perhaps they have like super-mega-mondo-ultra-massive-superb jazz thats heals him automaticly when he opens the stimpack/Medical kit and perhaps like, I dunno a light heals him, or perhaps like the Nicorate Patch that heals you instantly or a candy or something. Its a strange Doom world out there. :D

Hey everyone

Thanks for all your comments - I always like to read what others have to say about my stuff :)

I usually email Bloodshedder about my WADs or stuff like that, and since I thought people would be interested in seeing the drawing I made, I emailed him. It wasn't my intention for it to be compared with anyone else's work (only my own, heh...).

myk, Opulent: The two things you mentioned (Doomguy's Doomed situation and the buildings) are the things I like about the drawing too :)

Jello: You're right about the original artwork thing. I should try to do more original drawings. I admire people who are able to do that. I have done some of my own stuff on occasion, but they weren't good enough (or too weird) to put on my site.

About how the marine uses the megasphere/soulsphere - Nanami's interpretation is what I had in mind - when the Doomguy picks up a sphere, the spirit or whatever it is trapped inside envelops him in a bright light and heals him. The sphere itself would sort of evaporate (gradually disappear into the light).

I suppose the ultra-powerful drugs would be found in the Berserk pack :)

Hyena said:

Maybe because this artist e-mailed or contacted a DW staff member and said "PLZUPDATE KTHXBYE".

Heh, well, it's not exactly what I would expect to see as a news item on this site. I would've expected a request to post an artwork piece on the front page to be turned down - because it just doesn't seem...'fitting'.

The front page is for general news, the fan fic/pics forum is to show off your art - so naturally, an artwork piece on the front page instead of the fan fics/pics forum is a bit....uhm..unusual.

As for the artwork itself: Nice shading, cool pic, nice background and nice lighting effects - I like it a lot.