Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mxrgan

Where can I find some inspiration for level design?

Hey, Im a relatively new mapper and I am having trouble with my new map. Its nothing on the technical side, but its more of me being unmotivated by know knowing what to make for my level. Is there any maps or megawads with some good and interesting, but fair map design? I think that will get my brain working and help me get further in my map.

Since I'm relatively new to mapping, I've had this problem a lot.

To me, depends on what you are looking for in a map. Do you like exploration and immersion (a la Doom 1) or challenging and original combat, or maybe both? What are your favourite IWAD maps to play? Since I've played dozens of wads of all sorts in the last few months, a lot of them are still stuck in my mind, so maybe I can point you towards one that might inspire you?

5 hours ago, Omniarch said:

To me, depends on what you are looking for in a map. Do you like exploration and immersion (a la Doom 1) or challenging and original combat, or maybe both? 

I wanna add both but I feel like I wanna improve upon exploration and secrets. I also enjoy challenging combat also.

1 hour ago, BucketHoodie said:

I wanna add both but I feel like I wanna improve upon exploration and secrets. I also enjoy challenging combat also.

Okay, in that case let I'll list a few wads that stood out to me for their exploration factor and combat.

For Doom 1, I'd recommend:

• Doom the Way id Did - I really enjoyed this megawad, it felt like playing Doom 1 again. The secrets and exploration in these maps are very good, though the combat is really easy, so that may be a bit of a draw back. Still, an excellent collection of Doom 1 style maps and one of my personal sources of inspiration.
  • Doom: The Lost Episode - Another Doom 1 wad, this one for GZDoom. Highly imaginative secrets and often challenging combat, along with very abstract aesthetics. Worth a shot.
  • No End in Sight - To me, this megawad is the best example of exploration and secret-hunting. Some of these maps are pure, distilled genius. Unlike DTWiD, the combat is often very challenging and many of the maps are very long and complex. This wad is not always fair, though. Sometimes I thought some traps and secrets were bullshit, but overall I'd strongly recommend NEIS. It is probably my biggest inspiration.

And for Doom 2:

• Alien Vendetta - Actually, only some of AV's maps are focused on exploration, but those ones are very good at it. MAP10 and MAP20 stand out, though there are others. AV also has some very difficult combat encounters (MAP06 especially), so playing it may help with both exploration and combat.
  • Akeldama - This one is a lot like Alien Vendetta. It has both good secrets and challenging combat. Definitely worth a try.

An interesting way I found of beating a creative block was attempting to make a map from memory.

For instance I played vivisection from NRFTL, waited a day and then sketched the map out by hand from memory before then turning that into something in doom builder. You'll misremember parts of the map but still keep the general idea of it. So vivisection which has a central indoor area surrounded by an outdoor canyon became map10 of my megawad, CPD. It followed the same trope but played and looked differently. It actually helped me gain a lot of confidence in creating complex environments with lots of moving parts.

I never have inspiration. 

I just go blank canvas every time   start with a room and keep adding to it. 

Usually works out

Don't forget the IWADs too, they can be a great place to start. 

For something more bite-sized, I'd also check out Mayhem 2020, 1000 Lines 1 and 1000 Lines 2. All these feature quite small maps, so it's easy to see how mappers really focus their creations on gameplay and strip out anything superfluous.