Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

I started with ZDoom and Chocolate, then GZDoom, and then PRBoom+ because Fluidsynth sounds great with Ancient Aliens.

When I started trying out multiplayer, I was mostly in favor of ZDaemon, since I thought the announcer was cool. I still prefer using ZDaemon instead of Odamex and Zandronum.

If it wasn't for GZDoom's very annoying RNG - yes for me it is annoying because I can immediately spot the discrepancy, the player deals less damage and I think the enemies do too - it would take the #1 spot for me, but for that reason alone I tend to prefer more conservative ports like Eternity and PrBoom.

If vanilla/Boom RNG or a variation thereof ever gets introduced to replace the current method, I'd be sold for good. The Build palette will surely glue me more to it once the implementation gets finalized, fucking love that shit. And also, hi Hexetic & wads that really benefit from using their own COLORMAP, and no more washed out colors in them :) .

Chocolate Doom = I use for the ultimate original experience

PrBoom+ = I use it when I want to record demos and make vanilla based maps

GZDoom = I use it primarily when playing mods and for general use 

Crispy Doom = Similar use with prboom+, Demos and Improved Vanilla gameplay

Zandronum = for Multiplayer

GZDoom because i like how it "feels" control/mouse wise even though i play a ton of vanilla WAD's (the Doom Strict setting is good for that). Otherwise i do have Crispy Doom set up as well as PrBoom+/GLBoom+ (the older 2.5.1.4 versions). For MP i guess Zandronum. I've never played against other people tbh; only bots, so i don't play MP very often.

As much as GZDoom is amazing and very compatible, I've always been a person to try and beat things as fast as possible and PRBoom+ is one of the best source ports for this. It's really easy to make demos and feels a lot like vanilla doom like Chocolate Doom, but makes it a whole lot easier to speedrun and share demos.

GZDoom is the only port I use :-)

Originally I just grabbed it as it was the first one to pop up in a google search where the website didn’t look sketchy as :-P

Since then it has always worked perfectly so have no reason to use any of the others :-D

15 hours ago, seed said:

If it wasn't for GZDoom's very annoying RNG - yes for me it is annoying because I can immediately spot the discrepancy, the player deals less damage and I think the enemies do too - it would take the #1 spot for me, but for that reason alone I tend to prefer more conservative ports like Eternity and PrBoom.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you must really be imagining things here. I've run some tests on both GZDoom and Boom's RNG - same as in its child ports - in the past and while the actual sequences are not the same, the resulting distribution is very similar. It's both a lot more random than Doom's original one.

15 hours ago, seed said:

If vanilla/Boom RNG or a variation thereof ever gets introduced to replace the current method, I'd be sold for good.

I think what you really feel here is that GZDoom does not use a single RNG but hundreds - a lot more than even Boom and as a result you get poor sequences for some  events.

If you really want I can do a test build for you switching back to Boom's RNG, which ZDoom had been using in the beginning, and mapping all calls to a single one for SP games. It might be interesting to hear your impressions.

In the olde days I was a Legacy guy, but that died out for sure. Then I was in limbo or something and I used various ports like Doomsday for a time but that didn't last long. My favorite port these days is certainly GZDoom.

6 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

I think what you really feel here is that GZDoom does not use a single RNG but hundreds - a lot more than even Boom and as a result you get poor sequences for some  events.

If you really want I can do a test build for you switching back to Boom's RNG, which ZDoom had been using in the beginning, and mapping all calls to a single one for SP games. It might be interesting to hear your impressions.

Interesting.

Yeah actually, I'd sure be up for that, and I think drfrag would be too. I know just the weapon to try, the Shotgun is infamous for how it occasionally allows Imps to survive a blast, which is more common here, and conversely the BFG killing Masterminds more often than it should.

Also Fire Storm in Hexen, but that's apparently something else, and not RNG related.

Edited by seed

I love to play all my mods on chocorenderlimits xD

Nah, i use GZDoom for playing/making advanced mods, PrBoom (not prboom+, the normal prboom) for playing boom compatible mods, Chocolate for playing vanilla mods. And sometimes i use eternity.

26 minutes ago, URROVA said:

PrBoom (not prboom+, the normal prboom)

Are there any notable reasons for your preference of PRBoom over its successor?

Chocolate-doom, I'm a very puritan player of games in overall

I must say I started playing doom in Skulltag LOL, then to zdoom and finally to fake nearly vanilla aka chocolate.

I like zdoom too

Crispy DOOM does the job for me, i don't care for the fancy stuff from GZDoom since i'm a casual user and i desire a true vanilla experience most of the time, but having only 640x400 is kinda crap i must admit

PrBoom+ for vanilla stuff, runs waaay smoother than GZDoom/LZDOOM.

Sorry ZD devs, but your’s is second only because I can run some of the most fun mods I have ever played, if only it ran smoother.

14 hours ago, Netuno said:

Crispy DOOM does the job for me, i don't care for the fancy stuff from GZDoom since i'm a casual user and i desire a true vanilla experience most of the time, but having only 640x400 is kinda crap i must admit

If you want Vanilla and higher resolution, why not prBoom+? 

3 hours ago, Charlie Love said:

If you want Vanilla and higher resolution, why not prBoom+? 

When i want to play vanilla i use Crispy, I use GZDoom for pwads

prBoom+ doesn't seen much different from GZ for me, i tested it some time ago and it was very similar.

3 minutes ago, Netuno said:

When i want to play vanilla i use Crispy, I use GZDoom for pwads

prBoom+ doesn't seen much different from GZ for me, i tested it some time ago and it was very similar.

RNG tables, physics, and various other things were changed in GZDoom. Really, I just like that it's easier to achieve a vanilla look in prBoom+ then in GZDoom. Also, I'm a sucker for demos that autoplay on the menus.

RNG tables were also changed in PrBoom. Funny that it is constantly overlooked that this change dates back to Boom.

3 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

RNG tables were also changed in PrBoom. Funny that it is constantly overlooked that this change dates back to Boom.

In demo recording as well as some compatibility modes, Boom reverts to the original Doom RNG. In the past I've found RNG complaints often come from those that play predominantly while recording demos and are accustomed to the vanilla RNG. Just a thought.

12 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

It's because what I keep echoing though, y'know.

Crispy for me. I love how tasteful the improvements are, and the feel is bang on, really responsive.  The recent-ish addition of widescreen brings it to perfection.

I'll use GZDoom for wads and mods which require it, it's obviously a brilliant modding platform.

I like Unity (not quite a sourceport) for vanilla stuff, though it could use more features. GZDoom and Zandronum for anything non-vanilla.

On 10/5/2020 at 7:56 AM, URROVA said:

I love to play all my mods on chocorenderlimits xD

Tbh this is my go-to port for testing vanilla maps. Very handy for spotting overflows, HOMs, etc.

Other than that mostly GZDoom.

Doom 1.9 or Boom 2.02 depending on the wad, for nostalgic dos playing.

On 10/5/2020 at 5:32 AM, Graf Zahl said:

No, the firestorm also was fixed recently, its parameters for radius damage were not correct.

Took ten plus years but glad to know it's finally fixed!

Woof! Basically MBF for Windows, a strong limit-removing source port that preserves core gameplay behavior and optimizes where it really needs to.
Eternity Strong limit-removing source port that also preserves in addition to having its own formats and some optional eye candy.
Crispy Doom My go-to for something basic / vanilla focused but still limit-removing (yet not Boom-compatible) with some minor QoL improvements.
Doom Retro For something similar to the above but leaning more on the advanced side of things e.g Boom-compatible with numerous additions.
GZDoom Eye candy and mods, zero restraint.