Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What songs do you think should NEVER be in a Doom wad?

I personally believe that Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" should never be in a Doom wad, even though it might be catchy enough in MIDI form to fit with Doom's style. Also any country songs unless the wad is Old West themed.

Depends on the sound format really. Custom MIDI renditions of songs from the most obscure to the most popular are a hallmark of custom wads and long may it continue.

Actual full-fidelity MP3 or OGG versions of songs? Absolutely not, unless all necessary rights and copyright permissions have been obtained. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Hattington said:

This song should NEVER be in a Doom WAD.

I'm guessing you mean any track from the original Doom games? Or is this a specific ported track?

Reggaeton themes. I can vomit if I find "Despacito" or "Tusa" in a doom wad

I'd be hard pressed to enjoy a wad with anything from The spice girls, celine deon, backstreet boys...stuff like that. DOOM IS METAL...or dark and forebodingly atmospheric.

10 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Depends on the sound format really. Custom MIDI renditions of songs from the most obscure to the most popular are a hallmark of custom wads and long may it continue.

Actual full-fidelity MP3 or OGG versions of songs? Absolutely not, unless all necessary rights and copyright permissions have been obtained. 

Yeah, I'd rather hear the MIDI versions in-game since they're basically covers and fit better with the game. Though I still wouldn't want to hear "All My Exes Live In Texas" in MIDI format regardless.

And unless the MP3 or OGG songs are completely original, it probably wouldn't end well to use copyrighted music.

2 minutes ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

I can't imagine manufactured pop fitting with any theme, really.

It's like half of the DWANGO soundtrack.

Just now, orangefire222 said:

I'd be hard pressed to enjoy a wad with anything from The spice girls, celine deon, backstreet boys...stuff like that. DOOM IS METAL...or dark and forebodingly atmospheric.

I agree, most pop songs have no place in a Doom wad. Though there probably are at least a few that sound good in MIDI format as opposed to the original itself.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

It's like half of the DWANGO soundtrack.

True, but that’s deathmatch. I think deathmatch WADs are exempt here, because to me the music choice for DM should be less about mood and more about pumping the player up to play well. 

6 minutes ago, nostalgia said:

This as the first level.

I wouldn't use classic Doom/Doom 2 music for wads either, unless I was testing out the wad or didn't have a soundtrack made specifically for it.

10 minutes ago, Gerolf said:

True, but that’s deathmatch. I think deathmatch WADs are exempt here, because to me the music choice for DM should be less about mood and more about pumping the player up to play well. 

I've never played DWANGO or deathmatch, but I agree that deathmatch wads should be mostly exempt. Also singleplayer wads that go for a specific theme, like REKKR or that Sonic wad.

43 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I personally believe that Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" should never be in a Doom wad

TOO LATE HAHAHA!

Okay, so it's a deathmatch wad which means the soundtrack is not supposed to be "serious" like in a single-player map.

But I believe that even the cheesiest song can fit a serious map if it's somehow thematically appropriate. For example, Lunatic's last map uses a MIDI version of The Final Countdown, and it's just perfect. Maybe the level takes place in a mall, so you can explain some horrible music choice as being the in-universe mall music? Maybe the demonic corruption is why it's playing Rebecca Black's "Friday" repeatedly? I mean it sounds like a perfectly plausible result of demonic corruption in a mall's music & announcement system.

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

TOO LATE HAHAHA!

Okay, so it's a deathmatch wad which means the soundtrack is not supposed to be "serious" like in a single-player map.

But I believe that even the cheesiest song can fit a serious map if it's somehow thematically appropriate. For example, Lunatic's last map uses a MIDI version of The Final Countdown, and it's just perfect. Maybe the level takes place in a mall, so you can explain some horrible music choice as being the in-universe mall music? Maybe the demonic corruption is why it's playing Rebecca Black's "Friday" repeatedly? I mean it sounds like a perfectly plausible result of demonic corruption in a mall's music & announcement system.

I agree with cheesy songs being implemented thematically in themed maps or levels, and I think the demons WOULD torture humans with their own awful music too. Like, why wouldn't the demons blast Nickelback to drive humans as well as the Doomguy insane?

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Since 1968, technically.

Screenshot_20201006-172512_Gallery.jpg

And I'm guessing that it's absolutely awful music, right?

3 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

And I'm guessing that it's absolutely awful music, right?

You guessed correctly, although I vaguely recall hearing about an album he released that was actually good. I could be wrong though. I probably am.

I wouldn't say that there's an absolute hard and fast rule that says you should never use a certain piece of music in a WAD. The possibility space of maps is, if not infinite, then certainly non-trivial. Even an atonal and arrhythmic MIDI might find a place in a certain kind of spooky or Lovecraftian setting. So it's more about whether or not the music meshes well with whatever atmosphere is being conveyed by the map.

If we're bringing in William Shatner, then here's a related (by way of Star Trek) suggestion for your consideration:

Zombie from The Cranberries, if only because MAP01 of the legendary Plutonia 3 uses it already.

Itsi bitsi spider

Unless Its a map centered around saving arachnotrons