Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

After Doom 3 . . .

After Doom 3 comes out, and all the editing programs come out, what'll happen to Doom 1 and 2? Will it be left in the mists of time, or will people still do stuff with it? I don't think I'll ever leave it, because editing is nice and simple and because I really like it. I tried Max Payne editing once, and I couldn't get the hang of it. Make ya think . . .

People still design for Doom/Doom2 because of it's great gameplay, etc. The release of D3 isn't going to diminish that gameplay, so I guess diehard fans of the originals will still be editing. Until I've played D3, it remains a Doom game in name only (for me anyway). It might play like a pile of shit, who knows?

I've got enough projects on the go to last me for at least a couple of years (I'm slow). So I won't be switching to D3 anytime soon.

heh, that's assuming D3 actually gets released in the next couple of years :)

Deathman said:

doom and doom2 will still remain the best game ever. no matter what.

Right there. Or maybe I'm just sour because I can't buy it. :)

There will still be people who play the original, but I think its likely to get somewhat squashed by Doom 3.

Think about it. All the news on doomworld and the other doom sites is going to be about Doom 3, Doom 3 projects, Doom 3 news. I think Classic Doom is going to be kind of buried.

fraggle said:

There will still be people who play the original, but I think its likely to get somewhat squashed by Doom 3.

Think about it. All the news on doomworld and the other doom sites is going to be about Doom 3, Doom 3 projects, Doom 3 news. I think Classic Doom is going to be kind of buried.

the hardcore fans will remain, and those are the ones that count anyway.

All I'm hoping for after Doom 3 is a remake of Doom II.
I want to see demolished cities and burning landscapes.

I know I'll still be working on something for classic Doom even after Doom 3's release.

Surely I'll also play the old games.

Hopefully classic DooM will still be around. After all, DooM 3 is a modern FPS with the same sort of modern FPS gameplay. Nothing like classic DooM. (in fact it'll probably have none of the hallmarks of DooM besides the name and any weapons, monsters etc. that are recreated)

Besides, not everyone will have a 2GHz pc to play it and the skills to learn a super-complicated editor (which it's bound to be) to edit for it.

RTDscout said:

After Doom 3 comes out, and all the editing programs come out, what'll happen to Doom 1 and 2? Will it be left in the mists of time, or will people still do stuff with it? I don't think I'll ever leave it, because editing is nice and simple and because I really like it. I tried Max Payne editing once, and I couldn't get the hang of it. Make ya think . . .

Of course the Classic Doom will have its fair share of fans and its community will continue to thrive. Though, when Doom 3 is released, expect a lot of newbies rambling about the forums, mostly probably new to Doom in general, so, there will probably be a lot of "DEWM 3 ROX OLD DEWM SUX BECUZ IT HAS OLD GRPX LOL" shit. But not all of the Doom 3 newbies will be stupid, you can probably expect some wonderful new members to join, maybe even future staff O_O.

fraggle said:

True, but that may be a relatively short term thing. A lot of the Wolf3D sites became swamped with RTCW stuff, but many of the old sites seem to be holding their own again and are still appealing to the people who love and mod for the old classic. Some sites don't even have much more than a passing mention of RTCW.

We'll see...

We might need a few more Newstuff reviewers :)

I'll still play/edit DOOM after the release of DOOM ]I[, DOOM wont suddenly become a bad game.

Hey, who knows, maybe someone will play doom3 and love it so much that they give doom 1 or 2 a shot as well, and totally love those too?
That'd be cool.

Yes, I'm sure there will be plenty of people to play Doom 3 that never actually experienced Doom as they should have, which is almost saddening since they'll just gear "omg teh graphics sux" comments toward the old game.

Personally, I'm not looking forward to Doom 3. I prefer the real deal. =P

Nanami said:

Personally, I'm not looking forward to Doom 3. I prefer the real deal. =P

I am, because I think it will probably be a very cool game, and that's worth looking forward to.

I think it will feel nothing like the original game and so will probably have as much impact on my original doom playing/editing as any other cool game that has been released over the years. Ie, I enjoyed 'em, maybe even played 'em to death for a while, but never dropped old doom either.

Very few of those other cool games are still on my HD. The few that are get played far less than doom does.

Yes, it probably will be a good game, but you have to understand that I never play any new games. The only games I play are Doom, Doom II, NES emulated games, SNES emulated games, and Pocket Tanks... which isn't old, but the concept is.

I will never stop playing "old" doom, but I will of couse play/try doom3 (if I ever get a new computer).
But doom's mapping and gameplay feels fine for me, and still be like it.

right now, I gave up all games except doom and rush.
so I doubt doom 3 will make me stop playing the doom 1 and 2.
they are too simple and fun to stop playing..

I will always play doom 1 and 2. I grew up on thoes games, why would I throw them to the way side when they still kick ass!!! Even though DooM 3 does look really cool... It will take like a million years just to make a detailed level, cause 3-d game editors take time to use effectively!

After Duke3D comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Quake comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Unreal comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Quake 2 comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Half-Life comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Unreal Tournament comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Quake 3 comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After RTCW comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Doom 3 comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?

Linguica said:

After Duke3D comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Quake comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Unreal comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Quake 2 comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Half-Life comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After RTCW comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?
After Doom 3 comes out, why would anyone still play Doom?

Doom is the hero, you're zero, heh

As mentioned in above posts, Doom 3 will mostly be just a name in all probability. This forum alone speaks volumes about the impact classic Doom has had.

Is it Classic Doom we love , or just the game from Id Software we love? Quake, far more advanced than Doom has been on the shelf for years. Anyone who's played it may have been in awe over the graphics and gameplay, but yet we play Doom. Duke Nukem also, not an Id game, and still we play doom.

Remember seeing the Macworld movie for the first time? I heard about it and waited on the edge of my seat for hours watching the download manager to catch a glimpse of what new breakthroughs are out there from Id.

Did anyone else just about drop their load seeing for the first time the lighting effects? Yesterday I was showing a friend that 'movie', and you know what? I wasn't as enthused as before.... it was familiar now, the impact is gone. But the impact of the first player action of Doom will likely never die because it was such a giant leap in technology.

Doom 3 will be a giant leap as well, But in the end, it's just the latest in an already recognized concept. Who said that " theres a million games out there, but only one Doom"

The oriinal will live on, and it will be interesting to see where it all goes.

999cop said:

Doom is the hero, you're zero, heh

"It's easy to be outnumbered when you're a zero. " :P

fraggle said:

i agree with fraggle, probably because we've discussed this issue a number of times before..

there's really nothing to worry about, classic doom is not going to magically cease to exist because of the onslaught of doom 3 n00bs

fraggle said:

It'll probably take a chunk of the people that are already aiming in the direction of DOOM III in their tastes... especially those liking 3D accelerated GFX over sprites and software rendering, moody environments and "detail" over "gameplay", story-line based scenarios over simpler blast fests, etc. But "old school" players will probably not be affected much (this doesn't mean none of them will play DOOM III, but that they will see the difference more clearly and will not see one as a replacement of the other, as much.)

Linguica said:

Because people will still want to play single player vs. monsters....