Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AinuTheTaken

What is Romero's absolute best map if you could only pick one?

In your opinion, which map is Romero's greatest map? This includes E1M4b, E1M8b, Sigil, and the original maps he made for Doom and Doom 2. Right now I'm thinking it's E1M3 for Doom. I like its winding but reasonably easy to understand floor plan and the monster balancing here is I think really strong.

For me it's probably between E1M7, E4M2 or Doom 2 Map11.

edit: I completely forgot about Sigil. E5M2 might just be a modern classic.

Edited by Gifty

I was going to mull it over, but literally the first thing that came into my head was Circle of Death, so I guess I'll have to trust my instincts on that one.

E1M5,6,7 are probably the best contenders. I haven't played Sigil though, and I would have to replay his versions of m4 and m9 to decide. I hope Romero is able to learn how to make good Doom2 maps while not compromising his style. Most of his Doom 2 maps neglect the ssg.  

I thought MAP29 of Doom 2 was neat. As far as I recall that's a Romero Map right?

E4M2 and Map29 for me.

Both acompanied by the best music tracks on their respective games.

Honestly can't pick between Circle of Death, Gotcha!, and Perfect Hatred. Love 'em.

I can't think of any Romero maps that are bad.

Perfect Hatred, then maybe Abandoned Mines. I also really like Phobos Labs.

Sigil level 4, 5 ,and 6 are really great contenders, and experiments how gimicky he can go with a idea and still have a nice gameplay flow.

The keymaze of episode 4, the towers and all lava in level 5, and super dark in 6, all 3 with the sigil gameplay of not-so strech plataforms

All of his Ultimate Doom maps are great but, E1M5 was always one of my favorites.  It had a lot of interesting set pieces, and I really like just how interconnected the map feels, and how it makes sure to let you know where you are, relative to the rest of the level all of the time.

Honorable mention, I feel The Living End is definitely the strongest of his Doom 2 maps.

My favorite Romero maps would be the following:

-E1M9: Military Base 

-E1M2: Nuclear Plant

-E1M6: Central Processing

-E1M7: Computer Station

-E4M2: Perfect Hatred

-MAP29: The Living End

-and all levels of Sigil

Some people mentioned Against Thee Wickedly and so i went and double checked and it is indeed superbly designed. A very close second to E1M1 Computer Station.