Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed

PSX Doom Music..

I managed to rip the music samples directly from the psx doom cd..

How a music track on the psx version of doom works is much like a tracked mod using a various (and often few) ammount of samples over a midi sequence.

The samples are mostly strings, which were played at such low octaves, it sounded more or less like ambience. There are various synth effects thrown in, I'm almost positive the source in which these samples were taken is the korg x5.

I started working on an XM of e1m8 in the ambient fashion of the PSX version of Doom's music. The guitar may be a little bit of a problem, the one I have been using lately is my step-father's and is in the studio right now :/ ... I'd like to remake 2 or 3 mids from doom/2 into ambient mp3s, if anyone has any suggestions as to what to remake here's the place to put them.

All the doom remixes suck from what Iv'e heard. The midis with a guitar sample dropped into the instruments.

I think you missed the idea of what I'm doing..

I'm usuing the instruments from psx doom, not the actual tracks and making ambient remixes of the original Id midis in that style. Not ripping psx music tracks all together.

what formats were they in? I'd like to try this on a few of my psx cds if it's possible.

Ralphis said:

what formats were they in? I'd like to try this on a few of my psx cds if it's possible.

Under d:\psxdoom\music

The file format is .lcd, the sound themselves have to be extracted from these files to a .wav. Most players/decoders give you a playback at a higher octave than the in-game does.

You DO realize that no emulators or programs have been able to play the PSX tracks properly. I've tried every PSX emulator on the net. None of them play the music the same or as good as the PSX itself.

Good luck in combining the midis with the PSX ambient wavs though. I might want to hear them once you get one done. :P

Impossible. There are no music files on the cd. Just the samples, and the game uses the samples for the music. The only way to do it is record it, like I did. Heck, it can't even be emulated right. Or else, I would be playing PSX Doom in hi-res right now. Without the music being perfect, it ruins the experience.

OK, when I say "rip", I mean that this sample data + their order of
events. If those data would be processed, let's say through a PC
application, it could be emulated very easy.

It's been attempted by (I think, it was a while ago) Kaiser (Deathman here on Doomworld) using scripting. The problem is, the ports can't do more than one sound at a time. If only we can figure out the .lcd files...

each lcd file has all loops needed to play that song for that level. The first level in psxdoom only uses 3 loops, and the game resamples them and mixes them like slowing it down, high pitch, and sometimes plays all of the samples at one time which creates the music. I acually attemped remaking those loops into the level 1 music with Audacity, but I couldn't get them right....

and like Elby said, I tried using the loops for ConsoleDoom which turned out to be a bad idea.

OK, another try to make things clear...if I would have all the samples
(loops) as single WAV or MP3 file, it could code an application
which would play them. You could use the original PSX events of order
or even create your own. In the last consequence this would mean:
Just a new PSX Doom music track by changing a "PSX Doom Loop tracklist".