Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexo

Doom GBA has finally been finished in under 9 minutes (8:59.97). World's first 8 minute run without codes!

Just curious what kind of gameboy you were using? the original one or the SP, or the gbplayer on the 'cube?

I can't even begin to imagine playing so fast. Really incredible to watch, congrats man.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:20 AM, orangefire222 said:

Just curious what kind of gameboy you were using? the original one or the SP, or the gbplayer on the 'cube?

I can't even begin to imagine playing so fast. Really incredible to watch, congrats man.

Thanks! It took many hours of practice over the last 3 years to become adjusted to the way the game runs, and how doom guy moves about with full SR50 speeds, and lag management strategy. Similar to golden eye, Less on the screen = a much faster run in many sections!

I used the GBA player for the Game Cube for the run, and a standard game cube controller that I've had for nearly 20 years. I have a program called Game Boy Interface that plays back from the GCN memory card, and serves as a much higher accuracy for controls compared to the official Nintendo GBA Disc. It also provides the input display seen through out the run! So very useful for science over the years for certain.

The controller being so old, and the dpad not being as stiff as the common GCN controller helped also. Having a Dpad that had clear wear and tear after so many attempts, ended up being better to use in the long run. I used to use a GBA SP hooked up to the game cube... but the strafing with L and R killed the buttons on the gameboy very quickly. I went through 2 SP's in under 6 months... LOL.

4 minutes ago, Alexo said:

the strafing with L and R killed the buttons on the gameboy very quickly. I went through 2 SP's in under 6 months... LOL.

Hah! This is precisely why I asked. I was thinking to myself "this dude must've destroyed a few gba's to achieve this.." considering the shoulder buttons wear out pretty quickly even under casual play.

Congrats on the 9 sub! Makes me believe 8 sub could be possible (with the current route)? The sum of best is quite close to it :O Maybe its too much to ask. The run looks flawless anyways. 

On 10/15/2020 at 12:52 PM, TomatoTom said:

Congrats on the 9 sub! Makes me believe 8 sub could be possible (with the current route)? The sum of best is quite close to it :O Maybe its too much to ask. The run looks flawless anyways. 

Tom thank you! You and many other folks in the console Doom scene kept the energy and good vibes flowing for this run to become a possibility. I hope to see you pull off your own sub 10 any% one day, in this broken mess of a port! I believe! :D

On 10/15/2020 at 3:16 PM, Roebloz said:

Congratulations! I wonder if its possible to break my favorite port GBA Doom 2 the same way?

Ah yes, Doom II GBA. While some may argue its superior qualities compared to Doom 1 GBA. A glitch heavy speedrun it is not. I have to do more science still, but nothing in terms of Out Of Bounds, or level skips in any large fashion of difference from a standard run of Doom II, have been discovered. There are however, a few quirks that make it unlike any version of Doom II!

- You can walk on top of enemies, They dont have infinite height. This can be useful in some sections, like walking on top of the invisible pinkies in the catacombs. Walking form the center platform, on top of the enemies heads, can save waiting for 2 different elevators in the level.

- Chasm and Industrial Zone both have 2 parts, Part A and Part B. Chasm B has the infamous tight rope section, but the space is increased for an easier time walking through. The final section is also more forgiving, as the developers added teleported for if you fall into the acid.

Doom II GBA is just over 40 minutes long with the current world record. I can't imagine sub 30 being possible without some drastic discoveries happening. I never say never, but who knows whats left to find?