Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DCG Retrowave

Doomguy's Funny Pet: A Happy DOOM Adventure (Demo WAD now available!) - Vanilla DOOM II Mod

Holy Cow!
I was just thinking on the possibility of something like this being feasible on vanilla!

AND YOU COME AND DO IT!!!!!

Amazing, pal!
I can't wait for more by you! ;)

aww, this is very sweet, must protect Funny at all cost! Also, the school maps look really interesting, a question: Can Funny fight back? 

On 10/14/2020 at 8:19 PM, P41R47 said:

Holy Cow!
I was just thinking on the possibility of something like this being feasible on vanilla!

AND YOU COME AND DO IT!!!!!

Amazing, pal!
I can't wait for more by you! ;)

Thank you!  I enjoy pushing vanilla to the limit and seeing what I can pull off for happy DOOM adventures :D

On 10/14/2020 at 9:14 PM, Mr.S Retro said:

I need a pet pain elemental.

Me too :O

On 10/14/2020 at 9:32 PM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

That last screenshot is absolutely terrifying. Love the idea, though! 

Terrifying?  I think you mean "funny" :D :D :D

On 10/15/2020 at 12:49 AM, Shredosaurus said:

I do not know how, but your screenshots have made me care about Funny. I...... I want him to be safe. :o

You must be a very good pet owner :O

On 10/16/2020 at 10:26 PM, DoomedPerson said:

aww, this is very sweet, must protect Funny at all cost! Also, the school maps look really interesting, a question: Can Funny fight back? 

Thanks!  Funny is unable to fight back in this WAD.  In "Harmless Pain Elementals?" from last month, I had them spawn more Pain Elementals, but only when attacked first.  Of course, a Pain Elemental as a Lost Soul replacement meant that they weren't really attacking the player.  Instead, they're just summoning some friends :D.  In this WAD, Funny has no attack at all.  His FaceTarget function just makes him stare at you for 10 game ticks and then he'll return to Chase.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:36 AM, elend said:

Wow that looks great and very funny!

Funny indeed!

On 10/17/2020 at 5:13 AM, kinker31 said:

Can't wait to see the demo!

That is epic!  Your enthusiasm for adopting a pet Pain Elemental is very nice :D

7 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Looks very unique. I'd like to play this soon!

Thanks!  I was hoping to have a demo available by now, but I should have one ready in a few days :)

On 10/27/2020 at 7:58 AM, Steve88 said:

This looks great! Nice work dude! Excited to try it

Good news!  I am planning to release a demo later today!  I was hoping to have the first part of the WAD (maps 1 to 7) completed so I could release what I'll be calling the shareware release, but that'll have to wait until sometime in November.  The basis for maps 4 to 7 do exist, but the actual missions are not implemented yet.  The demo I'll be releasing today is still the first three maps that were showcased in the video, but they're more complete now (for example, the cafeteria in the school isn't just a big room with over 100 Pain Elementals now :D)

Get ready to adopt Funny!

Screenshot_Doom_20201101_010029.png.d0bb9f8ed2cd87c618826f32b1427969.png

The first demo release is here!  This WAD features the first three maps of "Doomguy's Funny Pet."  I haven't added a MAPINFO yet, so please enable "Doom (Strict)" compatibility settings manually if you're using a ZDoom-based source port.  Also, because this WAD has some custom sprites, it won't work in vanilla unless you manually remove them from this WAD and place them in a backup of DOOM2.WAD.  There are utilities that can do this automatically and I'll be including one in the next release for your vanilla DOOMING convenience :D

Screenshot_Doom_20201103_202311.png.97c42ffa29e162ce9a30498b64b941a5.png

petdemo.zip

I guess thanks for the bump since it allowed me to discover this wad. This is absolutely adorable and puts a whole new emphasis on Doomcute. Unfortunately I couldn't get very far, the collision detection (at least in GZDoom) makes the PEt go a little too high while entering the house and it then becomes impossible for him to go into the hallway leading to the bedroom. It's a really cute idea though.

On 12/19/2023 at 3:10 PM, Xenophanes said:

what happened to this mod?

At this point, the project has been abandoned.  Perhaps I'll revisit it at some point, but my primary focus nowadays is kick-starting my music career.  I do plan on finishing my main DOOM project later this year, which is DOOM 87: The Lost World!