Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

.MID the way id did - Doom 2 Soundtrack Replacement [RELEASED]

14 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Here's my attempt at a D_DM2TTL track!

FauxIntro.zip

8 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I'll claim MAP04, MAP25 and TITLEMUS. I'll work on them over the next couple of days. Is there a projected timeframe? 

6 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

sure, why not. i've had the idea of complementing the OST of Doom 2 with new tracks over the repeat ones, but replacing the existing ones works too!

i'll take map07,  map23, and map25.

Gah, my OP editing skills are not fast enough.. I’ll give each slot to the person who first made a claim, so Mr. Freeze, I’ve got you down for slot 4 and 25, and Viscra, you’re down for 7 and 23.

As far as a timeframe goes, there is none as of yet, but once we have more signups I’ll start thinking about deadlines.

Also, I’m glad you like my DM2TTL attempt, @holaareola! I’ll find ways to get it a bit more polished if need be, but it was basically my attempt at something right in the same vein.

@BucketHoodie I’ll pencil you in for the time being, but no pressure of course.

@Alfonzo If you’ll let us assimilate those MIDIs of yours, what slots would you like to see them in?

Edited by Doomkid

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

@BucketHoodie I’ll pencil you in for the time being, but no pressure of course.

Thanks, might just start trying out making midis now.

I just need some resources with how to get started. There might a forum on here.

@Doomkid These tracks weren't made with Doom 2 in mind, specifically. Parade was actually more a Duke 3D Lunar Apocalypse getup. That said... it could fit in a bunch of spots like 05, 06, 12, 13, 15, 21, 24, 25...

I'd say 12 is the best option, in a pinch.

Salon, though... is Sleazy Underhalls. If it's going to be used it doesn't have many other places to go.

I haven't made a song in forever, let alone a midi song.  I made this today pretty quickly and everything is done in the SC-55 soundfont.  I'm still working on making it into a midi file (again it's been awhile) so I only have the mp3/wav format at the sec.

Edit: Final version next page ahead

Edited by STILES

Great project, but what you should have gone for is "Doom 2 midis the way ID did it if they'd hired Lee Jackson instead of Robert Prince". ;)

Sorry, carry on. 

I'm very interested in contributing a MIDI for this.  I have experimented with many different styles of music so I think I can definitely make something that would fit one of DOOM II's maps.  I'd love to take MAP09 if possible because epic music map :D

This remix is a good representation of what I can do with DOOM's music style :)

Let me know if I can help out with the project!  I look forward to producing more MIDI content on Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with my Roland SC-88!

Excellent, I've got you down for Map09! So far we have 13.5 slots claimed - yay!

EDIT: Oh, and this cool MIDI is reminding me, I would also be happy to accept remixes in addition to wholly original music.

This is a stellar idea, and my style of MIDI writing fits in almost perfectly. However, I'm very busy with music right now so I won't be participating, but I will say good luck with everyone and I'll be keeping an eye on this. :D

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Excellent, I've got you down for Map09! So far we have 13.5 slots claimed - yay!

EDIT: Oh, and this cool MIDI is reminding me, I would also be happy to accept remixes in addition to wholly original music.

If you'd accept this remix of Into Sandy's City, I'd be happy to submit it since I really like it a lot and it's a fitting replacement MIDI :D.  I can also compose something new for another map if you'd like original music from me as well :)

after a couple hours of work, here's what i came up with for map07.

This Is My Boomstick (04:07)

the basis for this track is the opening riff from Slayer's Dead Skin Mask, with the drums being based on the same track as well, and finally some elements of the original D_SHAWN, to make it fit in on the Doom 2 maps that the track would play on.

1 hour ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

after a couple hours of work, here's what i came up with for map07.

This Is My Boomstick (04:07)

the basis for this track is the opening riff from Slayer's Dead Skin Mask, with the drums being based on the same track as well, and finally some elements of the original D_SHAWN, to make it fit in on the Doom 2 maps that the track would play on.

Fantastic track!  Fits very well

Hey, I made the decision to actually participate in this. Mind if I take the slot for Intermission music?

On 10/3/2020 at 12:14 AM, Doomkid said:

Hey fellas, somewhat inspired by this thread I just wanted to post a similar idea/question - would anyone be interested in a full "inspired by Bobby Prince, but unique in it's own way" type of Doom MIDI soundtrack?

Yes, god yes!

I think one of the reasons I can't get into Doom II as much as I can get into Doom I is that its soundtrack was a little TOO different. More specifically, FAR too repetitive for my tastes.

Doom had a solid balance - yes, you had your modern-inspired (some would say borderline stolen) songs by Bobby Prince that gave some levels much-needed energy, but it also nicely balanced out the more subtle and atmospheric stuff. Episodes generally had a good mix of stuff to get the energy up. And the biggest thing of all - LESS REPETITION. Many songs got played once and that's it - at least, until E4 was a thing. (I think the only ones that repeated were E2M3/Intermission, E1M9/E3M9, E1M6/E3M6, E2M9/E3M1, and E1M7/E2M5/E3M5. Demons on the Prey four goddamn times though with Ultimate Doom also adding it to E4M8? Sheesh.)

Doom II, on the other hand, it seems like (in the immortal words of Sagat - no, not that one)... "Why is it that every time I turn on the fuckin' radio, I hear the same five fuckin' songs, fifteen times a day, for three months? ...Man, FUCK THAT!!! Get a new DJ!" The repetition (almost every song is heard twice, and some songs are played in THREE MAPS! I'm tired of hearing Dave D. Taylor Blues, damn it!) really pulls me out of it, because in some cases it's as few as six maps apart (MAP06/12, MAP08/14, MAP10/16, MAP20/26) and that just makes it seem like they really rushed this part of it.

There's nothing wrong with a few repeaters, but when you are playing literally 10 songs for 24 maps out of 32, it definitely is really shitty. (The only non-repeaters, for those curious: MAP04, 09, 23, 25, 28, 30, 31 if you don't count the cast sequence, and 32.)

A good mix like in Doom where it seems like most levels sounded truly original and "new" and, of course, some good bangers off period rock/grunge of the time would probably increase my enjoyment of Doom II severalfold. And I'm not joking in the slightest.

I can't really compose my own MIDIs (always been curious about trying it, but I feel like I'd need a proper MIDI keyboard - maybe you've got some advice for getting started, Doomkid?), but I like tweaking them some and reinstrumenting them up. Maybe I'll do that if I find a few tracks from whatever results in this that I really like.

Edited by Dark Pulse

26 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

I can't really compose my own MIDIs (always been curious about trying it, but I feel like I'd need a proper MIDI keyboard

I can only speak for myself, but I rarely use a keyboard to compose MIDI. 99% of everything is sequenced in a piano roll window. Occasionally I'll use a keyboard to add an odd rhythm by slowing the tempo to a crawl and playing through it, but only to quantize and edit the performance in piano roll.

It all starts with a feeling or idea, some sort of vibe to connect with. Then all it takes is sequencing a few notes with that mindset to listen back and have a better idea of where to go. I really don't know if this is at all helpful, but it's my best attempt at sharing my angle on it. On the technical side, a lot of MIDI concepts are the same in any DAW or MIDI program like assigning instrument channels, note velocity and automation, but how they're implemented is vastly different across programs. I did recently familiarize myself with a number of DAWs to find something better than Logic Pro X for general MIDI, only to go back due to several limitations. So I can try and help get you set up depending on what DAW you use. At the very least I can download a demo if I don't already have it in order to try and figure it all out, I'm pretty quick at understanding DAWs as long as a search engine is available.

As far as this project, I've worked on a few ideas but nothing has stuck yet. I don't want to claim anything in case my idea takes a weird turn to a different theme. I think I'm a bit burned out after doing so many songs for the Hexen MIDI project in such a short amount of time. Plus stylistically I'm still in that frame of mind and it's surprisingly hard to keep things simple. I do hope to contribute something that hopefully still has a vacant spot, but I don't want to force something that's not there.

I'm feeling energetic. Mind if I try my hand at maps 14, 20, and 32?

@Dark Pulse Keyboards have always struck me as a particular tool for a particular kind of musician. They're great for improv because you can just play what comes to you without needing to meticulously sequence it all, but personally, I've never had to use one a single time and I don't even know how long I've been making music.

1 hour ago, CammyBanana said:

@Dark Pulse Keyboards have always struck me as a particular tool for a particular kind of musician. They're great for improv because you can just play what comes to you without needing to meticulously sequence it all, but personally, I've never had to use one a single time and I don't even know how long I've been making music.

Well what kind of throws me off, is... like, how?

Admittedly most of the stuff I've ever looked at was tracker-based software - think of stuff like Famitracker, Deflemask, etc. And it all just seems so much weirder to try to do that with a regular keyboard. Sekaiju is what's come up on here for MIDI and that looks more like a piano roll (or so I presume), but at the same time, my mind kinda goes "How?" when it thinks about how your standard musical keyboard is 88 keys, and while a PC keyboard has more than that, associating which with what is just kinda stumping my mind.

I just click the notes in with a mouse and drag them out for length using the grid. I don't really use the sideways piano for visual reference either. I know C1 is where the kick drum is, and as for notes I'll just click a note and drag it to the note that was in my mind. Everything else is relative to where I started. At this point I know more or less what certain ideas should look like on a grid, so I can click in a bunch of notes and then hit play to know what little things to adjust, then copy/paste it and adjust the next instance of it. Often I'll click in a note over a simple rhythm pattern, copy it over a few times, then copy each note to its third or fifth, then hit play while listening to where I want each instance to go, moving each set of notes to its respective position, and adjusting for rhythmic accents and flavor that strike me in the moment. For melodies I'll sometimes physically sing each note as I click and drag to the right position, then hear it all back and make adjustments based on what I want to convey.

Personally, I just compose using Guitar Pro (or TuxGuitar, the open source version).

You can just type what note you want then click the note duration you want - quarter note, half note, etc. You can see the sheet music fill up as you go, it’s satisfying to see it all come together that way. Adding tracks is really easy too!

After getting the main stuff written in GP, I save the MIDI then fine tune it using Sekaiju. I know you can view each instrument as sheet music in Sekaiju, but I feel like actually inserting all the notes is easier in GP - Personally I can’t make heads or tails of the “inserting notes on the piano roll” approach, so it’s easier to write it as sheet music.

the only time i used a keyboard to compose music was in the very near beginning when i started getting into music production in high school. i composed exactly one track doing this method, with everything else afterwards i sequence in the piano roll in FL Studio. i just click in the notes i have in mind and change the length of them by dragging them around until it sounds like i want it to be. when i have a particular drum groove or chord progression mapped out, i use copious amounts of copy and pasting to fill out the patterns, changing the rhythm of the groove and chord as needed, tweak the note velocity etc., and listen so that it sounds right to me.

it might be a bit hard to wrap one's head around the method of just clicking in notes with the mouse and dragging them around to increase/decrease the length of notes, but it is what i've been doing for 8 years now and it's totally doable. though it's not a method for everyone, and some might not get how the piano roll functions as opposed to sheet music (personally it's the opposite for me, i have no idea how sheet music works at all). i'm not as familiar with software for MIDI composition that uses sheet music instead of piano rolls, but i'm sure there exists some that you can use out there.

Cool! I've long felt someone should work on periodically "Bobby Prince-ifying" contemporary pop and metal songs, since you can basically apply his version of the 12-bar blues format to just about any catchy riff or melodic fragment with appealingly Doomy results.

I'm stretch a bit too thin to hop in atm but I'll keep an eye on this project!

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere in the thread, but I think you forgot to mention plagiarising them weird boomer metal bands

So as of last weekend I'm a new cat owner and she's been taking up a good part of my time. Hoping to have a .5 release of my tracks this weekend. 

Into Retrowave City

MAP09 has my favorite MIDI in DOOM II and when played on Ultra-Violence and Nightmare, it features my favorite DOOM monster in a very adorable and harmless way!

BESTFRIENDS.PNG.0103803f13702518b59904f76b892480.PNG

Funny :D

Edited by DCG Retrowave

Alright, Map 14 is done. I'll admit I ended up using Bobby Prince's style as more of a springboard than a guideline, though, so hopefully that isn't a big deal.

Hopefully it's compositionally sound as a compensation for the certainty that at least something is mechanically busted about the file. I originally wrote this in my native Garageband for convenience's sake; saving each track as an Apple loop allowed me to get MIDI data which I then pieced back together in Sekaiju, which I've never used before. I've worked with less agreeable software, but it's still been an uphill battle. Sorry if anything went wrong with it.

Five Iron.zip