Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Juancho

Quake needs a "doomworld"

a single website where people can upload maps, reviews, videos, post messages in the forum etc.

I think quake deserves this :(

PlanetQuake used to be a thing way back when, but it and the other Gamespy sites shut down quite a few years ago. Use archive.org to see what the sites were like in their prime.

8 hours ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

PlanetQuake used to be a thing way back when, but it and the other Gamespy sites shut down quite a few years ago. Use archive.org to see what the sites were like in their prime.

I agree. The funny thing is if you search planetquake up. it redirects you to IGN XD

Quaddicted offers all of the things you seek.  The forum isn't too active but the few folks that do post there do reply.  As a forum, Func-Msgboard is pretty active and one can always share links and files using Quaktastic.

I must admit that I miss the good old days of Quakeone.  It had a nice layout and presentation and an active forum up until a few years ago. :(

For me, the only things really missing in terms of Quake is a robust repository of classic machinima and a slightly bigger user base. 

At the risk of digressing a little too much, I suppose Quake could really do with an all-in-one port that would be embraced by the multiplayer base as well as single player.  Sadly, there does seem to be a bit of a schism that gives the feeling of the Quake community being smaller than it is.  

As many said, there's already Quaddicted for that but if you want something more similar to DoomWorld it would a better decision to create a separated section in the forums over here rather than an entire site, mostly because of costs and such

On 10/10/2020 at 8:16 PM, JuanchoES said:

a single website where people can upload maps, reviews, videos, post messages in the forum etc.

I think quake deserves this :(

Create a Discord account and go to this channel:

http://discord.quake.world/

1 hour ago, Dr. Toboggan said:

Closest you'll find community-wise is r/quake. But, in the nature of Reddit, it's pretty fucking lame.

This is by far one of the most heavily upvoted images of all time there. Lame indeed.

pvr9ywuyzts51.jpg

9 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Sorry to blow the dust off this old thread, but I bring relevant info: A brand new Quake community website has been launched called Slipgate Sightseer or Slipseer for short. It's got a nice, sleek design to it with heaps of features similar to what we have over here on good ol' DW such as forums and a downloads library. Seeing how little the Quake community has in terms of active websites these days, I'm sure Quake fans, mappers and modders alike will appreciate it.

kxYwj3u.png

That website looks and feels great that the quake boards, I'll join to grab a nice mappack and talk with the community. 

@Biodegradable Slipgate Sightseer does not exactly roll off your tongue. In fact, I am surprised that the website does not even have "Quake" in its title.

But hey, if the website gets the job done, then that is all that matters!

11 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Sorry to blow the dust off this old thread, but I bring relevant info: A brand new Quake community website has been launched called Slipgate Sightseer or Slipseer for short. It's got a nice, sleek design to it with heaps of features similar to what we have over here on good ol' DW such as forums and a downloads library. Seeing how little the Quake community has in terms of active websites these days, I'm sure Quake fans, mappers and modders alike will appreciate it.

kxYwj3u.png

Great! Quake community deserved a proper forum :)

Its shame quake didnt get more popularity comparison to doom.

12 minutes ago, Ozcar said:

Its shame quake didnt get more popularity comparison to doom.

Heck, Quake's popularity arguably outshone Doom's for about 4-5 years after Q1 came out. Doom had (ever so slightly) better lasting power, but Quake is still popular and beloved by many.

If you mean specifically about Quake mods being rare-ish compared to Doom ones, I'd just pin that down to Doom being a lot easier to modify.

8 hours ago, Rudolph said:

@Biodegradable Slipgate Sightseer does not exactly roll off your tongue. In fact, I am surprised that the website does not even have "Quake" in its title.

But hey, if the website gets the job done, then that is all that matters!

This makes sense legally, but even just "Slipgate Sights" rolls off the tongue a lot better, haha. Even if it does sound kinda like someone made a Quake level for Mario 64.

(also shout out to slipgate.org)

While I generally agree that Quake's community is strong, diverse and amazing overall, there's a part of me that still believes Quake was the franchise with an "identity crisis".

57 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

This makes sense legally

Wait, really? You think Id Software would have given the website shit had it contained "Quake" in the title?

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Wait, really? You think Id Software would have given the website shit had it contained "Quake" in the title?

Yesnt

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

A couple years back, Ling expressed some fears about Doomworld having “Doom” in the title. There was even a thread where he asked people to come up with potential names that didn’t have “Doom” in them (the one I liked the most was WadWorld, personally). Since he’s a lawyer I figured his concerns are probably well founded, and Quake is of course in the same boat.

13 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

A couple years back, Ling expressed some fears about Doomworld having “Doom” in the title. There was even a thread where he asked people to come up with potential names that didn’t have “Doom” in them (the one I liked the most was WadWorld, personally). Since he’s a lawyer I figured his concerns are probably well founded, and Quake is of course in the same boat.

so I'm guessing it's to late to rename Doom world to "Wayne's world"...

Edited by anon