Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

On 10/13/2020 at 6:20 PM, Thermal Lance said:

Thing is, buying Final Doom separately is the only way on steam to get the unaltered wads.

You can get the id Anthology IWADs through GOG, which are the objectively better versions.

Yeah, Doom II on GOG is bundled with Final Doom as well as the Master Levels.

Also if you already have Final Doom on Steam, it's gonna stay in your library. I mean I still have stuff like Duke 3D Megaton edition despite it being removed.

And finally there's a collection of patches that let you transform an IWAD from one version to another, so you can recreate the original IWAD from the Unity version or vice-versa.

Is this a good place to report bugs? (Doom 1)

I had a crash to the Switch home menu after being crushed by one of the crushers in REKKR E1M4 (those behind the blue door). I think it was the second to last crusher in that sequence.

Edited by Drdim

On 10/14/2020 at 5:47 PM, hfc2x said:

You can get the id Anthology IWADs through GOG, which are the objectively better versions.

My concerns are about Steam not GOG. 

On 10/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, Gez said:

Yeah, Doom II on GOG is bundled with Final Doom as well as the Master Levels.

Also if you already have Final Doom on Steam, it's gonna stay in your library. I mean I still have stuff like Duke 3D Megaton edition despite it being removed.

And finally there's a collection of patches that let you transform an IWAD from one version to another, so you can recreate the original IWAD from the Unity version or vice-versa.

Do you have a link where I can find those patches? I am interested.

45 minutes ago, Thermal Lance said:

Do you have a link where I can find those patches? I am interested.

Here are the patches: https://github.com/Doom-Utils/iwad-patches

Here is what you use to patch it: https://github.com/jmacd/xdelta-gpl/releases/tag/v3.0.11

Just open a command prompt and do something similar to this. Or make a bat file.

xdelta3-3.0.11-x86_64.exe -d -s tnt.wad 1.9-to-anthology.vcdiff tnt-anth.wad

Keep in mind there is also a semi-official fixed TNT Map 31 wad available as well if you want to stay demo compatible. (Also, I don't think Crispy Doom uses the right map names when using these versions)

Edit: As an aside, it'd be neat if modern source ports used this information to either patch on the fly or verify various versions of the game.

Edited by Charlie Love

Someone reported the add-on endings doesn't seem to work, and from this user's experience, the ending screen for TNT: Evilution didn't show after the ending text screen, it just boots him back to the main menu and that was it. I tried this earlier myself and had the same thing happen, no ending screen appeared after beating TNT's final level, even after letting the ending text screen stay for a few minutes.

Not much bumping on this thread recently.

@Chip was the one always lurking here and bumping it, awaiting the new updates, so anything new since dehacked was implemented?

2 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Not much bumping on this thread recently.

@Chip was the one always lurking here and bumping it, awaiting the new updates, so anything new since dehacked was implemented?

Chip has been away since October 6, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of him coming back soon...

26 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Chip has been away since October 6, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of him coming back soon...

Yes, its sad.

Hope he is ok. :(

I had nothing to add, until I found out two quirks. Maybe three.

Additionally in BTSX-E2 entering MAP27 will show Monster Condo as the map name in the intermission screen instead of ???. Haven't tried redownloading that map yet to see if it get fixed or something.

1 hour ago, sponge said:

This next one is going to be delayed a bit I'm afraid, we're having some issues with our main choice, and our fallbacks, so we don't have the next WAD lined up yet.

Ahh, that’s a shame. Oh well! Thanks for the update! Keep up the great work!

He probably just found another game that interests him more at the moment.

22 hours ago, sponge said:

This next one is going to be delayed a bit I'm afraid, we're having some issues with our main choice, and our fallbacks, so we don't have the next WAD lined up yet.

Ah, bad luck. It sucks when you get multiple issues like that.

Is there any info on how wads are chosen for inclusion? I feel like having custom made midis for every map (or using stock) plays a part in this?

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

Is there any info on how wads are chosen for inclusion? I feel like having custom made midis for every map (or using stock) plays a part in this?

It’s been discussed to death in this thread already, but basically:

1) Newer wads with outstanding quality

that are

2) Vanilla or limit-removing

with

3) All authors involved able to be contacted and contracted

and

4) All assets either already owned by id or developed by one of the contracted authors

and generally

5) Limited teams to ease the hassle of contracting all authors

On 11/4/2020 at 12:16 PM, Gez said:

He probably just found another game that interests him more at the moment.

Given his youthful appearances, that is likely to be the case.

Just have to wait a bit longer.

I have some feedback about vibration,

Most weapons have a 7 or so tic delay before firing, but their vibrations do not.

Therefore the controller vibrates notably sooner than the guns fire.

It's not TV delay/input lag, cause it feels fine for the chaingun (which fires instantly)

Is it possible to extract the NERVE.wad from the Unity rerelease on Steam? I want to play No Rest For The Living on PrBoom+.

1 hour ago, T.Will said:

Is it possible to extract the NERVE.wad from the Unity rerelease on Steam? I want to play No Rest For The Living on PrBoom+.

While you don't need to extract anything, you can only kind of play it in PRBoom+. It doesn't support DMAPINFO so none of the music, text, sky or episode changes will apply, and thus would not be a recommended way of playing it.

You'll find it in C:\Users\<your system user name>\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 2\WADs\3, with the filename "3". Make a copy if it naming it nerve.wad or something and your done. Pro tip, you can stick whatever wads you like in the parent folder WADs to play them in the 2019 port.

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

While you don't need to extract anything, you can only kind of play it in PRBoom+. It doesn't support DMAPINFO so none of the music, text, sky or episode changes will apply.

You'll find it in C:\Users\<your system user name>\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 2\WADs\3, with the filename "3". Make a copy if it naming it nerve.wad or something and your done.

I see. Maybe it'll work fully in Crispy. Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, T.Will said:

I see. Maybe it'll work fully in Crispy. Thanks for the help.

Crispy also doesn't support DMAPINFO. In fact, I largely suspect no community port does just yet (though I'm not sure why, I should pester @Altazimuth to fix that in Eternity).

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

You'll find it in C:\Users\<your system user name>\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 2\WADs\3, with the filename "3".

Are you sure this didn't change in the latest version? Because when I go into that folder, I only see folders for other games, but not the Unity versions of Doom and Doom 2:

Screenshot_4.png.0e0796205832b22d96616a4d439cfa48.png

The one named "DOOM" is for Doom 2016.

23 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Crispy also doesn't support DMAPINFO.

Crispy seems to support it on build 5.9.2. D_Runni isn't playing on MAP01, and MAP07 has the Hell skymap. I played it through the Unity version and also PrBoom to make sure. PrBoom certainly doesn't support DMAPINFO, but it looks like Crispy does.

MAP07 Crispy.jpg

MAP07 PrBoom.jpg

MAP07 Unity.jpg

Edited by T.Will

9 minutes ago, T.Will said:

PrBoom certainly doesn't support DMAPINFO, but it looks like Crispy does. 

Nope, I think Crispy merely has hardcoded support for nerve.wad.

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

Nope, I think Crispy merely has hardcoded support for nerve.wad.

Oh. My mistake.

27 minutes ago, hfc2x said:

Are you sure this didn't change in the latest version? Because when I go into that folder, I only see folders for other games, but not the Unity versions of Doom and Doom 2:

Screenshot_4.png.0e0796205832b22d96616a4d439cfa48.png

The one named "DOOM" is for Doom 2016.

It works for me.

image.png.f3d144582973d8b5de346c917ebe5323.png