Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FabulousDoom

Is 80GB of space enough for DOOM 2016? (PC)

I just got a new GPU, and I really, really wanted to play this game for a very long time. Already purchased it, and now it's downloading. Steam already allocated memory for it, so I have 13GB of space left (I have 120GB SSD). What I'm worried about, is that the game size might actually expand over time, because of saves, updates etc. If that's not a problem, can anybody tell me how big is their DOOM 2016 folder? (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM)

Thanks in advance!

According to Steam, the Download is 55 GB, so I think that even with additional content or updates it should be fine. Don't know the exact size though.

Just now, TheEvilGrin said:

According to Steam, the Download is 55 GB, so I think that even with additional content or updates it should be fine. Don't know the exact size though.

I've learned to almost never trust steam requirements, but in this case the download is 60GB, so I guess it's not that big difference.

Huh, I learned that there is a way to remove unnecessary content (multiplayer stuff or languages I don't need for example) and free up to pretty decent amount of space.

18 hours ago, TheEvilGrin said:

No, 55GB was back when the game came out if I remember correctly, and the requirements have not changed since - they almost never do.

I think the current install size is like 70GB but I could be mistaken.

I'm pretty sure the download size in Steam's download manager is just the compressed size (ie, how much data it has used downloading it over the internet). Then it uncompresses and takes up more space on the hard drive.

I remember it being somewhere around 75 - 80 but this is the filesize before it gets extracted

Untitled.png

Edited by sluggard

You can delete the Sound Files of other Languages and save about 10GB.

Edit: They are under: \DOOM\base\sound\soundbanks\pc

Also works with Eternal.

I highly recommend installing a mechanical hard drive (HDD) with a larger capacity if possible. SSD's use the same flash technology as USB flash drives and are subject to data deterioration and loss over time. Every read and write function to them reduces it's overall lifespan. Mechanical drives can retain data with perfect integrity for decades regardless of how many read/write functions. The only things that should be installed on an SSD are your operating system and essential programs and applications, that way in the event of data loss or corruption only Windows and those programs need to be rebuilt/reinstalled, all the rest of your data/games etc. will be safe on the secondary mechanical drive. SSD's are getting better with this but at this stage are still a complete liability for storing important or regularly used data.

My Doom'16 folder (D:\steamgames\common\DOOM) is 68.6GB. Doom Eternal is actually smaller... 55.7GB which I find a little odd considering it's expansion pack...

1 hour ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

I highly recommend installing a mechanical hard drive (HDD) with a larger capacity if possible. SSD's use the same flash technology as USB flash drives and are subject to data deterioration and loss over time. Every read and write function to them reduces it's overall lifespan. Mechanical drives can retain data with perfect integrity for decades regardless of how many read/write functions. The only things that should be installed on an SSD are your operating system and essential programs and applications, that way in the event of data loss or corruption only Windows and those programs need to be rebuilt/reinstalled, all the rest of your data/games etc. will be safe on the secondary mechanical drive. SSD's are getting better with this but at this stage are still a complete liability for storing important or regularly used data.

This... what? There's 2 very intense problems with what you are saying here:

• None of this is hardly important for the storage of a game.
  • While SSD's indeed aren't as ideal for archival than a mechanical hard-drive, the key phrase there is archival, they aren't archiving the game and the data isn't just going to vanish from an actively used SSD.

What you seem to be have grossly taken out of proportion is while flash storage can in theory loose data if unpowered within 7 days, this is under biblical conditions which are intensely unlikely to occur to the average person. After all, there's flash drives sitting on your shelf right now that have been sitting there for a couple of years that will still retain everything. Their shelf life for keeping data unpowered is measured in years, not days.

And keep in mind that if it's obviously good enough for all 3 of the current generation consoles, your operating system (which is obviously the thing that you would want to keep intact as much as possible, not less) and even server farms now, there's demonstrably nothing wrong with them sticking Doom 2016 on their SSD.

Edited by Edward850

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

What you seem to be have grossly taken out of proportion is while flash storage can in theory loose data if unpowered within 7 days, this is under biblical conditions which are intensely unlikely to occur to the average person. After all, there's flash drives sitting on your shelf right now that have been sitting there for a couple of years that will still retain everything. Their shelf life for keeping data unpowered is measured in years, not days.

No, you missed the context of what I was saying. I am talking about actual use, while powered. 1,000,000 read/write actions on an SSD will affect it's data integrity, whereas 1,000,000 read/write actions on a HDD will not deteriorate the integrity in any shape or form. It's well documented as factual and not theoretical that the method for reading and writing data to the chip in an SSD causes gradual physical degradation of the curcuits. That's fact, not a theory. This is why you NEVER defrag an SSD... firstly, you dont need to since SSD's can access data from anywhere in it's memory instantly which makes them fast enough to not need defragging, but also the amount of read/write actions in a defrag process will expediate the death of the drive and the data it holds. Running a game executable from an SSD which then loads and accesses other associated files on the same SSD can amount to millions of read/write actions per gaming session.

What you gain from SSD's is speed, lower power consumption and smaller physical size but this is at the cost of data integrity and lifespan. They are getting better but they aren't up to any level where I would trust them yet.

47 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

No, you missed the context of what I was saying. I am talking about actual use, while powered. 1,000,000 read/write actions on an SSD will affect it's data integrity, whereas 1,000,000 read/write actions on a HDD will not deteriorate the integrity in any shape or form.

Well you're still wrong. It's only writes, as the lifespan is based on how many times a cell can change its state as each time you rewrite the cell it requires more voltage until eventually not enough voltage can be supplied to successfully change its state. Reads do not change the state of a cell and thus do not affect the lifespan of an SSD in any appreciable way. And on modern SSDs the writes are calibrated to ~5-10 years of average consumer use. It will be absolutely, 100% fine for them to stick Doom2016 on their SSD.

59 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

And on modern SSDs the writes are calibrated to ~5-10 years of average consumer use. It will be absolutely, 100% fine for them to stick Doom2016 on their SSD.

Tell that to my customers who bring back gaming systems still in warranty period with fried SSDs and after I question what they've used it for and how they've used it and where they installed stuff and they all say "to the C drive of course..." and then I have to swap out their SSD and reinstall Windows for them. Luckily for both myself and the customer, those failures are classified as warrantable faults so I can charge it back to the manufacturer and write it off as a tax loss or the customers would be footing the bill.

Seriously, this shit happens on a weekly basis to the point where it's literally become a fucking joke. My systems at home run SSD for C and HDD's for all other drives and I've still yet to kill an SSD in over a decade of using them because they're only used to for operating system and vital programs and applications. If I was to use my SSD's in my recording studio systems they wouldn't last more than 3 months from the sheer amount of work they do.

30 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Tell that to my customers who bring back gaming systems still in warranty period with fried SSDs and after I question what they've used it for and how they've used it and where they installed stuff and they all say "to the C drive of course..." and then I have to swap out their SSD and reinstall Windows for them.

I'd gladly tell them that, and in the process direct them to presumably suitable hardware. Such as my 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 which is the primary drive in my workstation system which has been handling daily compiles of not insignificant amounts of code for the past couple of years, and whatever the 128GB NAND is in my work laptop that's still not reporting a single failure for the past 4 years despite being constantly near full, which is about the worst state to keep it in. 

What you are describing is certainly not what I see within my tech circles at all, which includes customer built computers out of our local tech stores here in Wellington. Your alleged failure rates are almost unheard of here. 

Also: HDDs aren't totally resistant to data loss; a mechanical failure can still happen in the mere span of a few years which will render the entire contents inaccessible. I had it happen to my Toshiba 1TB HDD once.

2 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Also: HDDs aren't totally resistant to data loss; a mechanical failure can still happen in the mere span of a few years which will render the entire contents inaccessible. I had it happen to my Toshiba 1TB HDD once.

100% absolutely. But most mechanical failures are covered under warranty. Funny you mention Toshiba since they are the brand I used to encounter most HDD failures with. Interesting to note that old Toshiba Satellite laptops shipped with Samsung or Seagate HDDs. Not even Toshiba loaded their garbage HDD's in their own systems. For some very odd reason Sony chose to use them in the PlayStation 3... for what reason I will never know. Most likely cost.

Most HDD failures I find are from physical damage such as being dropped or knocked hard during use which has cause the heads to strike the internal platters which in most cases will completely destroy the drive and all data beyond recovery.