Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obake

Doom crashing

I updated to a new computer about a week ago. At first I was happy that Doom was playing without stuttering, but I've encountered a new problem: crashes after about 8 minutes of play.

I want to know, has anyone else had this problem, and does it have anything to do with Windows 10 or OneDrive? I really wanted to get into playing multiplayer for the first time, but I can't with this stupid issue in the way.

Any and all tips are appreciated! Have a great day, and God bless.

Na I haven’t seen anything like that.

What source port are you using (I.e. gzdoom) and does it happen in other games or just doom?

Lastly, when you say crashing, is it just crashing to desktop or is it a system crash (I.e. blue screen of death) or system restart?

Hope we can get you back up and running soon :-D

I'm using gzdoom, and I don't currently have any other games installed.

When it crashes, the game freezes, and I have to alt+ctrl+delete to get out.

Hmmmm... maybe download a free benchmarking program if you can (heaven below is decent and free)

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

Run that for 10-15 mins just to see if you get the same thing happening. 

This is just to check if the problem is specific to GZDoom or if it might be all programs (i.e. a hardware, OS or driver issue) :-)

P.s. yeah as @TheMagicMushroomMan said, definitely check the CPU/GPU/RAM usage first :-) Do the same when you run the benchmark too :-)

Are you by chance using Vulkan as the API? I'm most definitely not an expert with this and could be misinformed, but I've read here and there that GZDoom 4.4.2 is known to have memory leaks when running in Vulkan which could cause it and/or your computer to freeze or crash.

Try either switching to OpenGL or download a more recent devbuild.

If that's not the issue then I hope you get it sorted!

Thanks for all of the replies!

I'm wondering, should my CPU usage be going up really high when I play Doom? It's going between 65-100%. Is that a sign of a memory leak?

Also, I did as Lippeth suggested and updated to a new build of GZdoom.

4 minutes ago, obake said:

Also, I did as Lippeth suggested and updated to a new build of GZdoom.

Did this fix the crashes for you?

2 hours ago, Gerolf said:

Did this fix the crashes for you?

Not quite yet. I'll do as Voltcom suggests and try out the zdoom forums.

In the very worst case scenario you could always dial down the texture settings in the GZdoom user menu. I'm referring to linear filtering and anistropic filtering. You can also google optimizing windows 10 and carefully browse the options you get to find some tricks that might or might not help you run games more successfully.

As Kappes Buur said, knowing your specs would be really helpful. If you right click Computer and click 'properties', you'll be able to find the manufacturer, processor and RAM. If you run dxdiag.exe, you'll be able to find your video card information under the 'display' tabs. Share that info here, and if possible maybe even share a screenshot of your task manager's performance usage while just Doom is running and nothing else. Additionally I would recommend sharing your gzdoom.cfg (or .ini, can't remember..) All of this will be really helpful for diagnosing the issue.