Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

Textures the Way Id Did?

I was looking around on the forums today and saw @Doomkid's post about music the way id (Bobbeh) did. So it got me thinking, is there anything equivalent to like, Adrian Carmack-style textures? That could be a cool asset pack to put together. Not exactly a replacement of the id textures, but more like an extension.

Interesting idea, but are you talking about new textures ''in the spirit'' of the original ones?
Because most texture pack out there...is mostly made with edits of the existing ones, with adapted textures from other games.

There is just a few of texture packs completely of new textures, i think. (OTEX, TheDarkening2TexturePack, etc.)
I'm produly ignorant on this and i will love to be enlightened here, too.

Maybe @NiGHTMARE knows more?

This could be an interesting idea. Are people ready to take pics of their hairy arms and bloody scabs? 

Attempting to make new textures that try to emulate the style of the vanilla textures would be a fun thing to work on here and there. I think CC4tex, which I've never used for mapping but I'm sure has been used in loads of wads I've played, is choc full of slightly recolored or restyled versions of the vanilla textures, maybe it could serve as a decent extension to use while mapping. I don't think it overrides any existing textures.

Hmm, isn't CC4Tex pretty much already "Textures the way id did"?

Of course I have nothing against having another texture pack like CC4Tex.

58 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Hmm, isn't CC4Tex pretty much already "Textures the way id did"?

cc4-tex also includes a number of textures ripped from other games, including Hexen, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Dark Forces...

OTEX, though, @ukiro did say he tried to replicate the aesthetics of Doom textures, figuring out the methods used by Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud and trying to do the same thing.

There's also the BTSX textures. I hope that when BTSX 3 is released, there'll be a CC5 using OTEX and BTEX.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

cc4-tex also includes a number of textures ripped from other games, including Hexen, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Dark Forces...

OTEX, though, @ukiro did say he tried to replicate the aesthetics of Doom textures, figuring out the methods used by Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud and trying to do the same thing.

There's also the BTSX textures. I hope that when BTSX 3 is released, there'll be a CC5 using OTEX and BTEX.

IF BTSX 3 is released (I hope it keeps vanilla compatibility like the first 2)...

On 10/16/2020 at 2:31 PM, VonHeer said:

This could be an interesting idea. Are people ready to take pics of their hairy arms and bloody scabs? 

The team behind D2TWiD were, although the experiment lasted exactly one texture. I grew my curls out, captured some sexy shots, smashed my neck on the sidewalk for some gnarly scab graphics (jks), and after some sobering goes at the editor trying to get the unforgiving Doom pallet to agree with my pasty white skin, the world's greatest 256 x 104 tutti frutti Kevin Cloud imitation was born...

...But the world wasn't ready for BEARDLOW. It died in obscurity, and the disgrace from my failing was so powerful that it stunted my face follicles.

I haven't been able grow a beard since 2013.

Edited by Alfonzo

I would be down to contribute to this, if it becomes something other folks are really interested in putting together!