Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tormentor667

Automatic Removal of unused Textures?

Is there a program, that automatically removes all the unused textures in a wad file?

I think about a tool, that checks all the texture names in one or more levels, then looks them up in the "TEXTURE/PNAMES" lumps and then deletes them and their corresponding patches.

I am used to get me a texture pack and then create a map around this pack (also, I add several other textures) but mostly, I use only 30% of the complete texture packs and it might be useful for low bandwidth users to download as less es possible.

Nice idea? Want to code it?! :D

DeePSea can take you half way there. It can either list all the textures used in a level, or give you a list of unused textures in a WAD, but you'll still be left with the grunt work of removing the extras manually. It also doesn't take account of things like animations or switches, where the first animation frame is used in the level, but the others are not until the level is actually running.

This tool is found under (you've guessed it) F7 in the PWAD lump fixing option. To get into that option, you have to open a WAD file, which doesn't actually have to be the file you are going to inspect. You just need to open a file to get access to the dialogue.

Tormentor667 said:

Does this work with multiple level wads?

Yes. I think Enjay (thanks) was thinking of the Graphics Tool?

After you select the "PWAD Lump Fixing.." select the PWAD you want to check. On the right are various checks - by level, all at once, etc.

You want "List All Textures and Flats not used", enter the name of the IWAD that is used with the level (for example DOOM2.WAD). Output can be saved or printed - press External Viewer (default=Notepad).

The "Texture Name Edit" tool makes deleting graphics fairly easy. Uncheck "Confirm Deletes" (so it won't ask if you really want to delete each time), then delete the texture name first and then the Pnames. Save changes to your existing PWAD (backup is made) or work with a copy of the original. Run a safety check to make sure you did not delete too many:)

deep said:

Yes. I think Enjay (thanks) was thinking of the Graphics Tool?

Nah, I was thinking about the right tool, but my memory of how it worked was wrong. I was thinking the step where you pick the IWAD was the step where you pick the wad to be checked.

I just don't understand this sentence at all:

----------
Nah, I was thinking about the right tool, but my memory of how it worked was wrong. I was thinking the step where you pick the IWAD was the step where you pick the wad to be checked.
----------

Enjay was just explaining. The tool has 2 steps.

Step 1 you pick the PWAD to analyze.

Step 2 you pick the xWAD with all the graphics, normally this is the IWAD, but it doesn't have to be - it just has to be the WAD with the right TEXTUREx/PNAMES/resources in case your PWAD does not have these resources.