Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kam Tovalski

"Way Revealed" and "See You Later, Elevator" - maps waiting for testers :)

THOSE ARE ULTIMATE DOOM MAPS.

Hello everyone!

Long time no see Y'all, so today I upload to you next two maps. (I don't want to trash in the section by placing 2 threads tbh)

Let me go chronologically. First map is "Way Revealed". Yeah, I post it in June, but due to good feedback (thank you @Austinado) I decided to "fix" it by placing more textures and other stuff and put more variety in general, just not to make rooms empty. Just to remind: this is the map, where you have to make a full revolution in order to get access to exit.
MIDI: "Run Like Smeg" by Lee Jackson

WaysRevealed.rar

Spoiler

622493388_Zrzutekranu(31).png.3594e8ff0a99f261999f43dc76eea94e.png

Spoiler

544320231_Zrzutekranu(33).png.26d734dabcd7cea287cb89293a5b2421.png

Spoiler

300795117_Zrzutekranu(32).png.5121d6ae60d7d2465d29fbabb866ea31.png

Spoiler

1416147522_Zrzutekranu(34).png.faf0000f1eae7836a93a8d24d76f07d1.png

Another map to show is "See You Later, Elevator". If you are in NaNoWadMo2020 Discord, then you may know this. This map I made within a week of october, I guess this took me 10-12 hrs total. This map is about elevators. I tried to simulate real-life lifts here. The version posted below is the final one (I guess)(thank you @Biodegradable and @joe-ilya for feedback and advice).
MIDI: "Excalibur" by Robert Prince

FUNFACT: The title of this map comes after an episode of "Happy Tree Friends" serie.

Spoiler

1483278995_Zrzutekranu(27).png.7d86365caf0a5461da26cba269d13ba1.png

Spoiler

773065441_Zrzutekranu(28).png.df3522030e4830c5fce99dba65f1bf39.png

Spoiler

1748265474_Zrzutekranu(29).png.742f2730c85bed8c5530a321b317d899.png

Spoiler

1941528567_Zrzutekranu(30).png.e6f31372447218ad410d589d9c77d6a5.png

ELEVATOR_V1.1.2.rar

Both levels were tested in GZDoom (Doom strict comp.) 
no jumping, crouching, etc.
Difficulty variety is provided, tested on UV only so far.

Hope to get some valuable feedback.

Edited by TOVA

Gonna try, the maps names are really fun, and i hope they are for the what i need to do on the level.

27 minutes ago, TOVA said:

Both are Ultimate Doom maps, I forgot to mention it before, sorry for inconvenience.

@TOVA No problem, I appreciate you mentioning the IWAD where both maps should be played

Currently only played "Way Revealed", imo oppinion pinkies in few spots are poorly placed, but, other then that, it's pretty fun map. Couldn't play See You Later, Elevator today cuz didn't had a lot of free time, but defenatly gonna play it in near future.

Edited by CamperLv

Oh lol sorry. Well this is second time i have recorded video with me speaking, so i was little bit stressed when recording. Gonna try to fix it lol.

Way Revealed

Ultra-Violence Mode || Zandronum || ROTT

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

627447203_zandronum19-10-202023-46-31-148.png.7ba7d185a062506cf84498e4a18106fa.png

(Insert "How'd I Do?" theme here)

1776491768_zandronum19-10-202023-46-55-385.png.516b7af6a947ca3223a16cde795b0a5a.png

(By the way, I found this strange texture flaw in the part where you lower a box interacting with it, it is seen that everything is highly glitched as if you were using "IDCLIP" or something similar.)

1523749625_zandronum19-10-202023-40-30-182.png.27e2cb4fb2e2d0eb1a948c8e53c4d05d.png

This map has really been very interesting, I quite like the design it has, the structure that was given to it, and the different textures inserted that, although they are not textures of another category far from the usual seen in Doom 1 and 2, really It paints well the fact of not simply staying with a simple boring texture, and wanting to be varied with what you offer the player to see, as it is also great to add technological environments and add other things of greater intrigue such as floors with toxic acid, or the boxes that can be seen in another part of the map, the fact of including platforms that go up and down are well planned, as well as adding secrets in areas that, if the eye is not well suited, you cannot find them at first glance, And the fact of adding tunnels and an exit to the outside seemed like a very good idea, again to add more variation to the environment, and that is quite appreciated, taking into account that it is a Wad made for Doom 1, it is seen that it has a lot of creativity set as if it were made for Doom 2.

Now moving on to the difficulty, the difficulty here is very good, there are quite a few Hitscanners, many Pinkys and Imps, there are some Lost Souls but only in the area where there is Toxicity, from then on, only the aforementioned monsters will be seen, with what Which, is very good for a map made in Doom 1, although health is somewhat reduced in certain parts, at least you have the opportunity to kill enemies in perfect places to take cover and avoid receiving shots from the Hitscanners, as is the area with the boxes together, and winning a Soul Sphere as a secret near the end, is quite useful, and it is appreciated that you have been generous in having it.

To finish, I will say that I had a lot of fun killing and surviving all those Hitscanners being Freeley, it really felt interesting to play in certain very narrow spaces, and in others covering myself so as not to receive damage, although in the end you end up winning for the health bonuses that are obtained in the end, and the Soul sphere as well, really a very great map to play, and without a doubt it was very good to be located in the first Doom, excellent work partner, and just to conclude my words, I will say to use explosives to Seeing flesh and blood fly through the air with the Hitscanners is very satisfying! (Ludicrous Gibs!!)

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

@TOVA Haha, me too man, I love very much ROTT, and you're welcome partner, I really would like to know that soon, when finishing a level, that musical theme that I like so much will be heard :-)

14 minutes ago, TOVA said:

@ElPadrecitoCholo currently I work on my own project of an episode for D1 and after that I will work on next 4 episodes for this.

Including those maps, there are 3/9 completed maps.

@TOVA  That's amazing man, I'll be waiting what your episode is to try it soon, heh.

See You Later, Elevator

Ultra-Violence mode || GZDoom || Final Doomer+

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

1142028571_gzdoom19-10-202016-05-03-158.png.6f2dc71de3e30c8f0f673f602b43a16e.png

1654766773_gzdoom19-10-202016-05-15-627.png.3304beaf8aafd41592e68aea40915ece.png

(By the way, I found this strange texture flaw that was in this part of the elevator if you didn't get to get on and let the elevator go to the top... actually, this seemed strange to me, almost as rare as the other flaw that I had found in the previous map that I had shown you.)

1632383080_gzdoom19-10-202014-43-21-43.png.0cf6cbbe94d0d69661717454cbe3dbb4.png

To begin with, all the wad is very interesting to me, not only because it is something curious how everything was built that reminds me of a kind of factory or something like that, but also, the fact of including various areas to explore, and that the level is not so relatively linear, makes it very entertaining to play, and unlike the first wad you published before this one, here the secrets were a little more difficult to find, which is not all bad but... it would not hurt to leave certain clues of where they could be found, but for everything else, there is not much to comment on the textures, but with the structure yes, and I am surprised by the fact that you included the crushing traps that are seen in the E2M2 of Doom 1, as if you wanted to replicate these traps from that level of the original game, I say that because of the path that there is when entering the door, to the end of the hall, but afterwards, I must admit that you showed off in the next crushing trap, Just wanting to pick up what is an ammunition box, is already a plot because enemies appear in rooms that were closed, but the complicated thing is wanting to get out of that trap that, neither of the two is synchronized, and that you It can be quite low health to be under those things, and with the elevators, I found your concept that you used very interesting, as in a room where there seem to be corridors and corridors in a confusing way as if a strange maze were, I also liked it, although that if, perhaps you should reduce the I find it followed by shotgunners that appear when pressing certain switches, or when reaching certain parts, because the medicine cabinets in that area are not so abundant, that it forces you to want to leave that area in search of new medicine cabinets.

Now, speaking of the difficulty, although it is a bit exceeded of Hitscanners, mostly the Shotgunners than the Zombieman, the difficulty is a bit acceptable, there are encounters that if they become brutal because they come to take you by surprise, as an example is the The area where you get the red key, or the area where you go for the Chaingun ammunition box in that corridor with the crushing traps, it really makes it difficult to want to survive those encounters because of how well elaborated they are, but even so, they do not remove the fact that they entertain you a lot because you stay alert to everything you do, not only of the Hitscanners, but also of the different demons that appear throughout the map, among them we have the Imps, the Pinkys, and the Lost Souls. Obviously we know that being a map made to be played in Doom 1, it must have enough of these enemies that serve as replacement for the enemies that are usually seen in Doom 2, and also because of the small limitations that the first Doom has, but It should also be borne in mind that certain enemies should not be so much in groups, and better to leave them in certain parts where it is not a problem to fight with them, otherwise, they would make the fight something uncomfortable to be in, but it is still enjoyable kill no matter how uncomfortable they get, that's a fact. To finish, I will say that I really liked the map, I liked the battles it offered me, some turned out to be somewhat uncomfortable and narrow due to the reduced space in which I was, but others I enjoyed them a lot for the mere fact of wanting to see the They were attacking me with shots, and also wanting to find all the secrets that the map had, I really enjoyed the wad in general, and without a doubt that the effort put into here was really worth it, very well done, mate.

Screenshot_Doom_20201021_141551.png.eab1b193788e185c1b4e684e8833ccd6.png

(Postscript: I am surprised by the fact that these elevators do not suffer from the same problem as the other elevators that I had shown in the beginning...)

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

I may make a recording of your map, as I am wanting to learn how to YouTube. Would you care for a video, even if it is not top-notch?

9 minutes ago, Pechudin said:

I may make a recording of your map, as I am wanting to learn how to YouTube. Would you care for a video, even if it is not top-notch?

@Pechudin Do it. it's fun, might start fun hobby, might regret for rest of your life.

39 minutes ago, CamperLv said:

@Pechudin Do it. it's fun, might start fun hobby, might regret for rest of your life.

Better to regret doing, instead for not doing, heh. Unless it's a heinous crime, I guess.

Alright, here is the video for the "Way Revealed" map.

DISCLAIMERS: "Holy, did you literally find out how to record an hour ago? Is this on a laptop?" Yes and yes. Hopefully the crackles and distorts here and there are bearable, and ultimately you get something constructive out of watching the video.

I guess I could sum up my thoughts here as well. I found the map a bit too square, and a bit linear. That being said, the combat is engaging and is not only 'enter room, clear enemies in front of you'. I liked the Lost Soul trap and several instances of enemies pincering you from both sides. That is good, you want to keep the player just on the verge of being uncomfortable. Enough space is provided to dodge around the enemies, but not too much. I like the use of pinkies to pressure the player, as there is no SSG to one-hit them. One of things I really like about UDooM is how useful pinkies are because of the relatively weak single shotgun.

So yeah, gameplay-wise it is decent to good. Looks-wise it is a bit square, and the starting half is very detailed, but the latter half is ... not? Some texturing issues (like crate tops), but that may be an aestethic choice as well.

VIDEO LINK:

please have mercy

EDIT: I see the map should have ROTT music? Maybe that is a GZDooM thing, since PrBooM+ did not show it. Did you include the music in SLADE?

@Pechudin Nice video mate, defenatly better then what i make. Very informative.

Also my playthrough of "See you later, Elevator". Not gonna lie, with sentecne like "This map is about elevators." I expected much more elevators. 

@Pechudin Thanks for a video.

Yeah, the map is really squary, because I made this map in may, when I haven't supposed to upgrade my style, thus this in some sections works and in some other doesn't.

About music: most probably I forgot to rename MIDI in Slade. It should be "D_E1M1" while it was named "D_RUNNIN", I have no issues, no matter how do I name it (GZDoom here), but several days ago someone mentioned custom music doesn't play on some source-ports.

@CamperLv Thanks once again for you playtest. I realised I need to move secret chaingun once more again XDD

@ElPadrecitoCholo Yeah, the difficulty went higher, but this is supposed to be level 4, so I guess this is kinda good place for tighting a screw slightly. Anyway, thank you for your opinon.