Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

DOOM³ Golden Edition

You have my attention :)

I hope it's not another attempt at dumbing Doom 3 down to make it more appealing to the "I just wanna shoot things!!!" players.

I will

On 10/11/2020 at 7:41 AM, Tetzlaff said:

You have my attention :)

I hope it's not another attempt at dumbing Doom 3 down to make it more appealing to the "I just wanna shoot things!!!" players.

Among other things, elements will be buffed, some will be nerfed. It's all about getting a more satisfying experience but never removing the game's original goal of being a suspenseful, horror shooter. Definitely not doing the "make it more like other Doom games" thing.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:09 AM, STILES said:

I'm excited!  How much of this is an overhaul?

A complete rebalancing of the singleplayer experience. I've play tested the entire campaign maybe a dozen times (Maybe I should take up Doom3 speedrunning :P). Not every weapon, player ability, or monster will behave differently but some will be significantly changed to enhance the experiance, remove major annoyances, but usually increasing challenge without weakening the player.

If still hold the horror and asmosferic shooting in the dark style of game, count on me to play it, really loved your levels on Doom Zero.

DASI-I glad to see you around here again, pal!
And with another marvelous project!

This surely will promp me to dust off my old Doom3 DVD and reinstall it ;)
Following my friend!

The main issue I have with Doom 3 is that most of the weapons are just so unsatisfying to use and many times don't even feel like they are making contact. The Doom 3 Redux mod helps with this a lot, but makes the game too dark and many of the added effects look rather tacky. Good luck!

2 hours ago, MadGuy said:

But will it run with BFG/BFA (aka no gui or sdk modifications)?

I don't have the BFG edition, so I don't think Golden Edition will work with it. Sorry. 

18 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The main issue I have with Doom 3 is that most of the weapons are just so unsatisfying to use and many times don't even feel like they are making contact. The Doom 3 Redux mod helps with this a lot, but makes the game too dark and many of the added effects look rather tacky. Good luck!

Thanks, I'm gonna need it. The weapons have been a major issue for years. But the reality is that everyone has a different idea of how the weapons should feel. Some people think you need to speed them up or make them more powerful in order to feel more satisfying but that can be devastating to the balance of the difficulty. Instead of trying to please everyone and their grandma, I decided to fix this issue at a more global level. Audio, Ammo amount, clip size, knockback, even some enemies' health have been changed in an effort to find this illusive "satisfactory" feel.

21 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

If it still holds the horror and atmospheric shooting in the dark style of game...

Yep, That's the plan.

5 minutes ago, Artman2004 said:

Do you have anything to show off?

Busy refining some important elements and then I will post some examples, but I don't want to spoil too much so I won't go over all the changes...yet

7 hours ago, Arl said:

Is this going to have custom .dll?

No DLL file.

10 hours ago, PaulRazvan95 said:

Show it. I dare you.

1344300209-3sj0qk.jpg

So is this just a rebalance ? As in change the damages and the variables of enemies weapons and others ? 

No new features added ? You can add new features that won't take away from the gameplay.

11 hours ago, DASI-I said:

No DLL file.

If it has also no ui modifications then it might be able to run on BFG/BFA

2 hours ago, PaulRazvan95 said:

So is this just a rebalance ? As in change the damages and the variables of enemies weapons and others ? 

No new features added ? You can add new features that won't take away from the gameplay.

Although a lot of it is rebalancing, even though there are a few changes that one could say as being drastic, there however are some presentational differences like the lighting, music (yes, music) and sound effects. But in the end, this is still Doom 3.

Try to think of it this way: If the original Doom3 is like The original Lion King, then Golden Edition is like Lion King in 3D. It's the exact same film/game but experianced in a new way. 
...And BFG Edition is like the Lion King live action remake. 😜

A quick update: The mod is completed, just need to do some further testing. There will also be a release trailer coming later this week.

I've also made a moddb page with some screenshots of some of the visual changes, but obviously they won't really be showing the changes of gameplay.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom3-goldenedition

On 10/20/2020 at 3:15 AM, DASI-I said:

A quick update: The mod is completed, just need to do some further testing. There will also be a release trailer coming later this week.

I've also made a moddb page with some screenshots of some of the visual changes, but obviously they won't really be showing the changes of gameplay.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom3-goldenedition

What graphical changes did you make?

3 hours ago, icecoldduke said:

What graphical changes did you make?

Nothing major. Golden Edition doesn't replace any of the game's base resources. So no new textures or models, just changed some of the lighting parameters. For instance, The Plasma's projectiles have code already implemented that allows for lighting up the environment, but it was disabled due to poor performance for a PC back in 2004. I just simply reenabled it. No engine enhancements, just some cool stuff that shows off the engines true potential. The images on the moddb page has titles that explains what each image depicts.

With all due respect to you and your work sir. How does this differ from the countless mods which re-balance the game . Mods like Phrozo, DentonMod, Fixed Edition,and lots of other mods that don't come to mind but there are plenty.

Thing is with the name being ``Golden Edition`` and the work put into that trailer we kind of expected something to live up to the title. This is just Fixed Edition (Your Way).

I don't want to bash your work. It is not my intention. So don't take it that way. 

3 hours ago, PaulRazvan95 said:

With all due respect to you and your work sir. How does this differ from the countless mods which re-balance the game . Mods like Phrozo, DentonMod, Fixed Edition,and lots of other mods that don't come to mind but there are plenty.

Thing is with the name being ``Golden Edition`` and the work put into that trailer we kind of expected something to live up to the title. This is just Fixed Edition (Your Way).

I don't want to bash your work. It is not my intention. So don't take it that way. 

Just wait to see what he can do, pal!
He just give hints on what to expect so everyone who play it just amaze with how more is on the project.
This is just an announcement thread to built up some expectations.

Did you played some of the mods for other games he made?

Doom Zero is one of the best vanilla megawads out there.

And Amnesia: A Key to Freedom is, essentially, the best vanilla mod for Amnesia.

The man knows what he is doing, and if he decided to put the mod the ''golden edition'', knowing how he work, it will surelly live to that name.
Don't worry!

Edited by P41R47

I'm waiting.

I just gave my opinion on what was released so far in comparison with the title. I even said I don't want to bash his work. 

It's just that I expect some greater improvements other than some re-balacing and bigger muzzleflashes.

12 hours ago, Xyz said:

Yep, you're right. I think your comment is fair. I'm not saying that my version is the best one. It absolutely comes down to taste and is very subjective. I made this because this was the way I wanted to play vanilla Doom 3, But then I thought: "Yah know, I might as well upload this because someone else might like it", but then I went further than I originally planed :P

I am aware of the other mods out there, it's just that in my opinion "Fixed Edition" changed things that I didn't think needed changing, and mods like "Perfected Doom3" as well as "Phrozo" did way too much and doesn't play like Doom 3. Golden Edition is more subtle. I only changed or tweaked stuff that I think most people (even fans of vanilla doom 3) would like...maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just my opinion though, nothing against those mods. In fact Fixed edition helped me to understand on how to get certain characteristics to work properly in my mod.

But just for clarification, this mod is called Golden Edition because Golden is subjective. There are things that can subjectively be considered better than gold like platinum or diamond, unlike "Perfected" which I do think is rather...overconfident.
But the real reason why it's called Golden Edition is because my real name is Christopher Golden. How can I not use Golden? :D

9 hours ago, P41R47 said:

The man knows what he is doing, and if he decided to put the mod the ''golden edition'', knowing how he work, it will surelly live to that name.

Don't worry!

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside ^_^
But hopefully I won't disappoint with such high expectations.
full

Fun fact. All the new sound effects in Golden Edition are just modifications of Doom 3's sound effects, no sound effects were taken from other sources, especially from other games (OK there is one punching sound effect that's not from Doom 3). Not only do I think that Doom 3 still has just an amazing soundtrack overall but also using something like a shotgun sound effect that was taken from some other game (like Fear or CoD) Usually doesn't mesh well with the overall sound design of Doom 3...IMO.