Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GooberMan

Rum and Raisin Doom - Haha software render go BRRRRR! (0.3.1-pre.8 bugfix release - I'm back! FOV sliders ahoy! STILL works with KDiKDiZD!)

1 hour ago, GooberMan said:

This is my "fuck you" to everyone who ever argued that threading the software renderer is a bad idea.

I believe that argument ended 7 or so years ago when Mocha Doom showed it was viable, so you're a little late. :P  Jokes aside, still looking forward to your progress reports.

19 hours ago, GooberMan said:

The CMake files are currently not up to date, so until I fix that in about 12 hours I can't compile it for my Raspberry Pi nor my Linux box and neither can you. So you might want to hold off a little there.

Fair enough

3 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

So what happens if you try something that destroys modern computers, like Sunder map 15? is the "before & after" difference higher? the same?

Isn't that a Boom level set? I don't think it can be tested in this port; it's based on Chocolate Doom.

Right, you're not going to find anything performance-demanding in vanilla maps. The best way to show off such performance gains would be on maps with obscene linedef counts. As far as limit-removing goes, I'd recommend The Given or the stand-alone Hellbound map29, where the Doom engine starts crapping itself regardless of system specs.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

As far as limit-removing goes, I'd recommend The Given or the stand-alone Hellbound map29, where the Doom engine starts crapping itself regardless of system specs.

Ah ha, the content I seek. I've been looking for good limit-removing maps to test with. And yeah, the nature of going threaded means that you're limit-removing by nature. Even if I keep the 128 visplane limit for example, that's now 128 visplanes per thread the way I've threaded things.

Altazimuth is also planning to get everything I'm doing in to Eternity, so testing on something like Eviternity will tell me exactly what else we need to optimise.

Anyway, here's Wonderwall.

YrG9JBz.png

Just normal MAP29 for now. I had to patch mapdata structures to not use the original signed 16-bit integers but move over to unsigned 16-bit to even get that one to load, and I need to find what else I'm not bringing to unsigned before the full one will load. And also it uses tons of visplanes per thread anyway, so I don't think I'll be able to run it at the 8 threads my machine has here (and to be clear, this is a 2560x1600 backbuffer so over twice as many pixels as 1080p, many normal Doom maps really thrash performance at these resolutions) without dynamic visplane allocation and seriously getting memory usage back down to sanity for high resolutions.

But I'm not finished. Notice how the main loop waits around for a full three milliseconds after the most expensive thread finishes rendering. That's just the easiest problem to fix. The fact that I'm still using one render buffer is also slowing things down.

And I need to trigger some monsters at some point, the sprite renderer is currently unoptimised. So it'll go down further again.

That's what I get for doing stuff before I run out for work I guess. Totally forgot to get the single-threaded comparison shot.

ZHPoAlS.png

So. Let's ignore that this is still with every other optimisations I've made so far. And assume the milliseconds counters are indicative of an average frame from this location (it's as low as 58, as high as 72 without moving - welcome to thread scheduling and system bus/cache performance). Divide that number by 8, and you get 7.95. Take the worst performing thread in my prior shot, and it's 7.2.

I want to do the multiple renderbuffers before I write that article. Funny thing about a cache, if you have threads writing to the same general area of memory you end up triggering cache flushes all the time. So give each thread its own distinct - and cache-size friendly - region of memory to render to and you eliminate that problem.

But tonight is beers and Borat and Big Trouble In Little China. So y'all only get that screenshot for now.

EDIT: And comparing the shots after making the post. Yeah. So, uh, if I move the view to match. Single threaded takes 16ms longer than that shot. Which honestly makes my point even better (78 / 8 = 9.75ms as a target per-thread goal to beat, and I'm already well under and have clear paths for further optimisation).

Wow... this legitimately looks super amazing! I really don't have much to add, but great job man! I really hate to bump this thread without adding anything, but I just wanted to show my support. Keep going, this is the coolest! :D

21 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

@GooberManis really making his custom title work for himself. I love it. Great project in general when it comes to optimization.

This was actually a self-suggested title. Ling was all "I'm giving out titles" one weekend in the early 00's and I had a reputation for pushing what was possible with ZDoom scripting. So I was like, eh, sure, this will do.

I don't think it's been a valid title for 15 years.

On 10/23/2020 at 12:05 PM, Gez said:

Planisphere 2 is also a good stress test if you can get it to load. (Requires implementing some extended node support.)

No nodes in the wad. Top kek. And a bunch of other things I need to work out. But yeah, that's out of scope for now.

No article yet, because I've been putting some real debugging abilities in to the code.

4gStfhQ.png

The Hellbound better-than-reasonably-expected performance got me thinking that I really want to know a ton of stats. And rather than go for that spreadsheet solution I've been running with, I sat down and integrated Dear ImGui in to the codebase. Accessible like a console normally is, key configurable in the setup program too if you're that way inclined. It certainly shows that at these resolutions, flat rendering is the bottleneck.

More will be added as I deem it necessary. Next on the list is to update the build scripts so that using the Chocolate Doom instructions to compile work again.

EDIT: Compiles and runs on my x64 Linux box. Compiles on my Pi4 running Ubuntu 20.04, but that's where things get tricky. Need to detect at compile time how to handle setting up OpenGL for ImGui differently, and then work out why it segfaults even if I hardcode the setup locally. Anyway, it should work for OSX again. I'll be setting up osxcross (thanks, sponge) soon to at least test compiles locally.

Edited by GooberMan

Tiny update on the render graph. I find information much easier to digest if I don't have to flick between tabs, don't you?

ERUTRj8.png

Oh and I'm slowly replacing the ye olde faithfule setup program. I guess it's starting to turn in to a real source port?

Question: Will tricks like HOM/self-referencing sectors still work with all these changes?

edit to add more: I do know this is probably a dumb question, but also i think it's good to make sure during testing these bugs still work cause a lot of maps do utilise these visual tricks on purpose. Maybe also try to see if midtextures not clipping properly with floors works, cause i think some maps might use that for reflections

Spotted the use of Dear ImGui immediately, happy to see it implemented in a port like this

9 hours ago, 🌸 V E W M 3 2 🌸 said:

Question: Will tricks like HOM/self-referencing sectors still work with all these changes?

edit to add more: I do know this is probably a dumb question, but also i think it's good to make sure during testing these bugs still work cause a lot of maps do utilise these visual tricks on purpose. Maybe also try to see if midtextures not clipping properly with floors works, cause i think some maps might use that for reflections

Almost everything will still function as in the vanilla renderer. As it is the vanilla renderer, but at higher resolution and with speed optimisations.

But we also need to be specific about what kind of HoM will work. If it's a built in mapping trick? Absolutely. If it's relying on the MAXDRAWSEGS soft limit being hit to make automatic HoM in the distance? No, and virtually every limit removing port will also behave like this.

Handling errors for vanilla limits is something I've been mulling over, and this question has made me put real thought in to it. I can implement an optional error highlighting feature. Which will basically come down to "after the scene is rendered, give a full screen render context some alternate column/span rendering functions that can render data in to an overlay texture wherever a vanilla limit is breached".

I was thinking of merging data from the threaded contexts after, but my profiles show that the act of writing data to the render buffer is the biggest time cost at high resolutions. So I'll keep code simple, make some debug column renderers, and just parse the BSP again.

(Keep asking questions like this, everyone. When I'm forced to stop and think about something, my thoughts turn from basic ideas in to plans. The people mentioned in the first post have been asking questions all the time, for example.)

Edited by GooberMan : Phone typo

Back up and running on the Pi. Finally. On the newly-official Ubuntu 20.10 release.

2ou6Sz4.png

All live on Github. As usual. I do need to add extra instructions to the Chocolate setup steps for people now that I'm linking to submodules.

git submodule update --init --recursive

And anyone using Ubuntu 20.whatever will need to

sudo apt-get install python-is-python3

Yep. Classic.

Bit of random fun to show that I still screw the pooch from time to time.

I was getting abysmal performance when rendering fuzz. Even on my i7, but it was particularly egregious on the Pi.

qQGtmOc.png

Nope. Nope. Ignore the black status bar, this is just in-progress work to use one render buffer per thread. But nope. context 2 is full of nope.

Turns out that the way I was using atomics to track the fuzz counter was terrible.

eSpOBLE.png

You can see the atomic increment at the bottom of that screenshot. Previously, I was incrementing every fuzzpos access. This is baaaaaaaaaaaad.

I decided to try atomics to track the fuzz position across threads. This did result in the fuzz looking like fuzz when every thread was accessing the value, and the usual high-res artifacts when not. But performance was full of nope. So a single increment patches that up for now, but clearly I'm going to need to stop treating the fuzz index as an atomic value.

I also screwed up the fuzz sampling. The original code would either sample one row higher or one low rower than the current pixel. I was sampling one column to the left or one column to the right. Oops. Fixed that.

But even higher than that. Fuzz is one of those things where it seems the intention is more valuable than preserving vanilla code. The original fuzz table consist of 50 offsets. This loops really quickly, and its random distribution isn't that great. I asked John Romero a question on twitter based on conversation about this subject, let's see if he responds. But as far as I'm concerned, the fuzz sample randomiser needs to be greatly expanded or rethought to match the intention of the vanilla codebase at higher resolutions. It's one of those things where not sticking to the original code will probably give an actual vanilla experience at higher resolutions (weird, right?).

Making myself some convenience features.

TI0UUml.png

No Skill and Pistol Starts are things I want to test with in continuous play. I'm sure people have considered options like this available in the UI before. Right?

Fuzzy rendering looks really bad with high resolutions, it only makes sense with lower resolutions such as the original 320x200. I think fuzzy rendering was implemented because a flat "transparent" implementation has problems with some colors, making some invisible object really hard to see.

Well that's one thing I noticed when the atomics were going full on every thread. The fuzz can look good at high resolutions without touching the actual code algorithm. Just the fuzz table needs to be bigger with a better random distribution.

Pay attention to the fuzz down the middle of the screen (ignore the missing fuzz line, bad code).

Riwwtss.png

Notice how it just completely skips that weird line thing and actually looks like noise.

This is likely the original intention of the programmer, fine at potato resolutions but inadequate when scaled up. But my question to Romero is more about the original intention of the designer.

The thing that I dislike, personally, about high-res fuzz is that "fuzz texels" are smaller than sprite texels. It just emphasizes the right angles in a way that the color shading of normally-rendered sprites do not.

Ycme7Hp.png

I don't know how to address that in the software renderer, though. Shifting entire texel blocks?

This did remind me that I have some code in there from way back when I first started doing this (a whole month or two, I know right). Wrapped in the ADJUSTED_FUZZ define. This was never looking right, because I was still reading from the next column instead of the next row. So I turned it back on.

Ty0xkQt.png

Basically, it doesn't increment the fuzz offset until the next sprite column is reached. Hmm. Okay. Let's see what we can do about that. How about we finally increase the fuzz table like I was saying, and not adjust the sample position until the next sprite pixel is reached.

EmhKdRf.png

Not quite there yet.

YNoyh8a.png

And I managed to make it worse, blergh, this is trash. Hmm. Okay. So we were discussing this on Discord the other day, and I was saying that the errors in high resolution when trying to adjust it for low resolution sampling is because you're reading from the same buffer that you're writing to. This does mean that fuzz is implicitly tied to the results of the last fuzz pixel. But to remove that error, you need to sample from a different buffer to the one you're writing to. So how about we just copy the backbuffer out to a temporary array and sample from that.

g4k9Bbv.png

oooooooh. It's pretty subtle on this shot. Nowhere near dark enough. So let me Youtube that for you.

Ya know what? I think we've had it wrong all this time. It's not a fuzz effect. It's a heatwave effect. We can replicate the accumulated darkening by randomly choosing a darker or lighter colormap to sample from, but I'm pretty sure with a little bit more thought and effort this will actually look really fuckin' nice.

21 minutes ago, GooberMan said:

Ya know what? I think we've had it wrong all this time. It's not a fuzz effect. It's a heatwave effect. We can replicate the accumulated darkening by randomly choosing a darker or lighter colormap to sample from, but I'm pretty sure with a little bit more thought and effort this will actually look really fuckin' nice.

So, in your quest to make a high-res software renderer - you accidentally created a new effect for the specter?

That's amazing! 

2 hours ago, GooberMan said:

EmhKdRf.png

Not quite there yet.

My personal favorite of the results so far.

I remember ling proposing the idea that it's a heat distortion effect (a la the original Predator), he had some screenshots of the game modified to only copy pixels without darkening and it looked like that. It's possible the darkness was added later with the intention of making it more visible, but they didn't account for the same pixel being copied multiple times.

edit: I found the post in question

Edited by SaladBadger

Alright, so I got a "good enough for now" vanilla-style high-res fuzz.

Slightly worse performance with optimisations turned on. Because I am making a memcpy of a chunk of the buffer. Still some tuning to do then, and one branch I still want to get rid of. You might think the switchover is severe - until you compare it to vanilla/Chocolate Doom.

pGYrBjH.png

While the heatwave Spectre looks cool, it makes him even harder to see than the current software-rendered one at high resolutions. I prefer the chunky grey pixels of the vanilla-style high-res fuzz for the sake of visibility.