Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMagicMushroomMan

What is your honest opinion on the Doom comic?

11 hours ago, GraphicBleeder said:

Rip and Tear memes.

The most unfunny piece of content the entire community has produced.

So, we're just going to forget terry wads exists?

It's fits on the year the comic was made.

"Short, go to the topic, with memorable panels, and colorful arcade and cheesy jokes"

It's fits the comics on the same time.

7 hours ago, GraphicBleeder said:

At least people put in some "effort" into making art for those, even if the memes were dogshit.

I don't know, I kinda enjoyed the Doomguy X Animal Crossing memes. It was kinda wholesome in a way.

As dumb as it sounds, I forgot that "rip and tear" actually came from the comic, because I started associating it with NuDoom. I hate rip and tear memes, though. I don't even bother with the Doom reddit because of it. Actually, I just hate most memes in general. "Let's make slight variations of the same joke over and over until it isn't funny at all anymore."

It's very fun. I like it, but I don't like how it has cemented the character of Doomguy in many peoples' minds as a loud, dumb, cocky, brute. 

Now Doomguy is very much a player insert, and I don't want to gatekeep here; but I think of Doomguy as someone who is calm, collected, crafty, and capable of fear. Sure, he can go into fits of rage, as seen in the intro story for Doom 1, but it is always for a righteous or understandable reason. 

I guess this discussion leads to Brutal Doom, whose Doomguy is very much based of the comic book version. The Doomguy in the comic is fun and doesn't overstay his welcome, but Brutal Doomguy is just so overbaked it really hampers my enjoyment of the mod, among other things...

18 hours ago, Nevander said:

Enjoy. Tell me what you think, how close I got. Format is either Boom or Vanilla, not sure, been so long.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/86793

1 hour ago, Zulk RS said:

Imma gonna go play this now. 

So... I went and played it and it was pretty fun. Mostly faithful though I thought it would have more enemies and more chaingun ammo but I see why those things weren't dwelled on.

After playing it, since it was really short and linear, I thought I'd try and speedrun it. I tried for like 15 minutes and got 0:48 Seconds.

As someone who's never speedran in Doom (or in any game before) and it was fun though I realized speedrunning is not something I particularly enjoy. Anyway. Good map.

12 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

As dumb as it sounds, I forgot that "rip and tear" actually came from the comic, because I started associating it with NuDoom. I hate rip and tear memes, though. I don't even bother with the Doom reddit because of it. Actually, I just hate most memes in general. "Let's make slight variations of the same joke over and over until it isn't funny at all anymore."

Every Doom OST video's comment section can be described like this:

"Loads shotgun with malicious intent"

"Demons check under their bed for Doomguy"

"This makes me want to bring a mattress to a pillow fight"

And my personal most hated

"Demons: Wait why do I hear boss music"

I like 2016 and Eternal as much as the next guy, but I really hope these people don't go on Doomworld and try to post this shit.

1 hour ago, GraphicBleeder said:

Every Doom OST video's comment section can be described like this:

"Loads shotgun with malicious intent"

"Demons check under their bed for Doomguy"

"This makes me want to bring a mattress to a pillow fight"

And my personal most hated

"Demons: Wait why do I hear boss music"

I like 2016 and Eternal as much as the next guy, but I really hope these people don't go on Doomworld and try to post this shit.

I can somewhat relate. Though these types of comments are annoying to see over and over again, what really annoys me are the people that are talking about how uber-powerful Doom Slayer is. The reason I don't like it is because it gives me DBZ flashbacks.

((Spoilered because I ended up going on a long unrelated tangent without realizing it))

Spoiler

See, one of the things that I enjoy doing is discussing with people on the topic of if two characters from different fictional universes fought, who would win. I know it's silly but I like discussing this kinds of things for what it is. Have a silly discussion about a silly topic, not taking things too seriously, generally having laughs and being chill. Unfortunately, whenever this kind of question is brought up anywhere on the internet, it almost always devolves into people being super serious about the stupidest things and just screaming over each other. Also they keep blowing up their favorite character's feats way out of proportion. Superman, Goku and Saitama fans seem to be the most bad in this context.

Like I kid you not, one guy argued that the DBZ characters are super duper strong because, get this, A "Solar System" in DBZ is bigger than a galaxy. Like what? Another guy argued a character can go some stupidly high magnitude over speed of light because of very shoddy and questionable mathematics. The comments in these OST videos on YouTube that keep talking about how super powered Doom Slayer is, is that kind of annoying comment that I saw many times being spouted by DBZ fanboys. Well it didn't really get to THAT level of bad but it did feel like a precursor to it. I get the feeling that a part of New Doom's Fanbase that isn't on Doomworld will slowly turn into those kinds of DBZ fans in the future, provided of course, the more Doom games get released and the New Doom stays relevant, which I hope it does. So in short, Doom Slayer power scaling comments on OST videos make me cringe on the inside.

there's nothing wrong with letting people have fun with innocent things like doom comic memes or animal crossing crossovers, even if it does annoy you personally, and life is too short to worry about how other people should enjoy things.

5 hours ago, rustygizzard said:

there's nothing wrong with letting people have fun with innocent things like doom comic memes or animal crossing crossovers, even if it does annoy you personally, and life is too short to worry about how other people should enjoy things.

I'm not mad at them or trying to ruin their fun, I'm simply stating my annoyance for them

I actually just finally read it, and I didn't regret it at all.

Quite a fun read, in the classic art style of comics from long ago, and Doomguy is cracking wise and blowing shit up non-stop. Also concerned for humanity's environmental destruction.

Some may hate it, but I enjoy it.

On 10/23/2020 at 3:09 AM, Zulk RS said:

So... I went and played it and it was pretty fun. Mostly faithful though I thought it would have more enemies and more chaingun ammo but I see why those things weren't dwelled on.

After playing it, since it was really short and linear, I thought I'd try and speedrun it. I tried for like 15 minutes and got 0:48 Seconds.

As someone who's never speedran in Doom (or in any game before) and it was fun though I realized speedrunning is not something I particularly enjoy. Anyway. Good map.

Thanks! Yea I didn't really bother making it any bigger than it needed to be to get the point across. I tried to literally reproduce it pane-for-pane as best as I could with minimal creative liberties.