CBM

dosdoom-1 [DEAD]

[voting, final results - 4 vanilla, 1 boom]

dosdoom-1

As it is written

Doom-1 for classics msdos

The rules are the same as for doom-1 With the following changes

Must be a Wad since dosdoom and doom95  does not read pk3 files

this will aim for boom compatibility as long as it still runs on a source port that can run in MS-DOS and windows 9x

btw.... this aims at creating something that runs well on an old Pentium 2 system.

Custom sprites for anything from a chair to a cyberdemon Will be most welcome

https://download.cnet.com/PrBoom-Plus/3000-7441_4-10915480.html

this one will be for all the doom(ed) potato rigs out there...

Kick-off map:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pRIPoFUlhqiW4M9qzINrJr9WfTL748Ow/view?usp=sharing

ddno_001.wad

DOSDoom negative one version 0.01

SCREENSHOTS

DOSDOOM3.png
DOSDOOM2.png
DOSDOOM1.png

Edited by CBM : voting complete

Story:

When Gzdoom-1 failed, our hero started to harass DOS dimension...

Make it at least Boom compat and maybe somebody will join the party

2 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Story:

LOL

gzdoom-1 has not failed YET

boom compatible doom-1 already exists... but where is the love for old classic dos doom... where I ask?

I am flattered that I am your hero though.

this community needs to wake up and realize that there is more to life than just boom compatible wads :)

11 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Story:

ok then...

the main goal is to make something for very old potato systems... like pentium 2 systems running windows98.. that sort of thing... a retro minus one

so you have your boom compatibility.. since prboom apparently runs on windows 98

Story:

When dosdoom-1 launched, our hero was harassed by BOOM fans and had to surrender...

I have nothing against vanilla -1 project but how would you handle both gzdoom-1 and dosdoom-1 at the same time?

11 minutes ago, CBM said:

windows 98 

Even Zdoom 2.8.1 runs on this. Boom compatibility doesn't mean "Prboom+" strictly - for DOS project Boom202 can be used or even MBF or Legacy

44 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

I have nothing against vanilla -1 project but how would you handle both gzdoom-1 and dosdoom-1 at the same time?

Even Zdoom 2.8.1 runs on this. Boom compatibility doesn't mean "Prboom+" strictly - for DOS project Boom202 can be used or even MBF or Legacy

okay.. nice

what about windows 98 compatible source ports?

I have no problems handling 2 projects at the same time. Especially since GZDoom-1 is not exactly buzzing.

I also run several personal projects on the side and I am making a map for the trickntear project

However, I need help to find out what source port would be optimal for 32 bit retro computers and that can run in dos and windows 98

I suppose any dos compatible one would run in windows 98 as well though

Zdoom 2.8.1 lags terribly on 300Mhz for me.

I think it's better to aim for Boom cuz players will be able to record regular demos and most doom community prefers Boom compatibility against Zdoom/Legacy/MBF/Eternity

3 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Zdoom 2.8.1 lags terribly on 300Mhz for me.

I think it's better to aim for Boom cuz players will be able to record regular demos and most doom community prefers Boom compatibility against Zdoom/Legacy/MBF/Eternity

BOOM it is then :)

and I think that both coop and deathmatch should be implemented in to the maps.

Still, I think the BOOM features should not be overdone, since... a 300 MHz Pentium II is not what I would call a powerhouse

Sounds interesting

I have a windows 95 pc with a pentium 4. So I am going to try and make a map.
I will just have to copy the wad onto a cd every time in order to play, but I guess it would be worth it.

9 minutes ago, BauwenDR said:

Sounds interesting

I have a windows 95 pc with a pentium 4. So I am going to try and make a map.
I will just have to copy the wad onto a cd every time in order to play, but I guess it would be worth it.

suggestions

use sdcard to ide adaptor

use old ide hdd and ide to usb adaptor

use rewriteable cds

install win98se and usb mass storage device driver

or use floppies

Oh, dont worry I have about 10 empty cd-rw's so that is not a problem really. And floppies would be more difficult since I dont have a floppy drive on this pc. About usb, well the pc does have a usb port or 2, I should maybe go search for win95 usb1/2 drivers.

What happened here? There is another one of these type of projects? What happened to Gzdoom -1?

This thing starts to become a joke... Or is just me that I have the power to block these things when I put a map for it 😂

Spoiler

And that's unfortunate, cause I like to give this thing a chance

10 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

What happened here? There is another one of these type of projects? What happened to Gzdoom -1?

This thing starts to become a joke... Or is just me that I have the power to block these things when I put a map for it 😂

Hide contents

And that's unfortunate, cause I like to give this thing a chance

gzdoom-1 is alive and well... I just needed some more work to avoid boredom :D

you are very welcome to also join the retro minus one project :-D

Instead of DOSDoom -1, you could make EDGE -1, since EDGE is the modern continuation of DOSDoom. ;)

Just now, InDOOMnesia said:

Instead of DOSDoom -1, you could make EDGE -1, since EDGE is the modern continuation of DOSDoom. ;)

but does edge support boom, dos and windows 95 ? :)

havent used edge in ages :)

however I am certainly open to suggestions

18 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Aaaaa STARTANED nazi bunker with minotaurs

yes

glories isnt it?

hehe

nah it needs much work

3 hours ago, CBM said:

this community needs to wake up and realize that there is more to life than just boom compatible wads :)

Not with that attitude they won't.

If you want DW to get excited, then it should impress first and formost.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Not with that attitude they won't.

If you want DW to get excited, then it should impress first and formost.

the thing is... if I put up maps that are too complete in projects like this, then there will also be complaints. So I opt to upload various old and or incomplete maps

...that are cluttering up my "desktop" atm...

too see what other can do with them and to learn new stuff.. I have learned a lot of cool things just by being part of the doom-1 project

in fact I am expecting complaints about the 2 latest maps I just added to gzdoom-1 because they are nearly complete both of them

1 hour ago, Oldschoolgeek32 said:

Wait so the configuration for this map is Doom 2 format?

yes it is

but it will likely change to boom... however... it will be an ms-dos compatible boom in that case

the goal here is to make something that will work reasonably on a pentium 2 running dos or windows 9x

Edited by CBM

if we want to be fully dos-compatible. We need to take in mind the visplanes limitation, sprite count (The original engine was only able to display 128 sprites on screen) , and all those other limitations. so yeah, we could go for boom compatibility on MS-DOS :)

14 minutes ago, Oldschoolgeek32 said:

if we want to be fully dos-compatible. We need to take in mind the visplanes limitation, sprite count (The original engine was only able to display 128 sprites on screen) , and all those other limitations. so yeah, we could go for boom compatibility on MS-DOS :)

yes, I originally wanted this project to be 100 percent vanilla... but my real motivation was to make something for retro systems and it turned out that boom works on very old systems.

summasummarum

I was convinced to go with boom ... LOL

Like others have said, managing 2 community projects at a time are a VERY demanding task. Plus, if you want to have more interest, consider reformatting the OP and adding some preview screenshots.