Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

What’s the earliest major historical event you can remember happening?

The explosion of TWA Flight 800. My aunt was a flight attendant for TWA around that time, and while she wasn't on that flight my Mom couldn't sleep for weeks knowing her sister might've gone down with it if the flight attendant schedule was different. 

I remember watching the Moon Landing in 1969 on a black and white TV with my family when I was like 2 years old.

Edited by Doom_Dude

For me, watching the daytime repeat of the moon landing in 1969. I was only 4 years old and my parents didn't let me stay up to watch it live (1am local time). Bastards :p

Generic answer ahead I think, but, either 9/11 or the two World Wars.

When the president of Poland died in a plane crash, 2010. I was 10 and my mother was crying because she was afraid that russians shot down the plane and we were going to have a war. ( Actually it was nothing more than a failed landing caused by bad weather conditions and being under stress ).

@Payload4367 Do you remember your reaction to that ?

7 minutes ago, Trupiak said:

When the president of Poland died in a plane crash, 2010. I was 10 and my mother was crying because she was afraid that russians shot down the plane and we were going to have a war. ( Actually it was nothing more than a failed landing caused by bad weather conditions and being under stress ).

@Payload4367 Do you remember your reaction to that ?

What I remember was my parents reaction to it. They were devastated and played his records all day. And I remember it all over the news.

One of the earlier major (In my country that is.) events that I remember is my country economically collapsing in 2009 during the Recession. And I'm not going to be forgetting it any time soon either because it's still happening and will take even longer to end now with the pandemic ruining the economy again right when it was beginning to recover a bit.

It also directly ties to why I'm even here and play Doom, because if it weren't for the fact that we've been so short on money for like a DECADE now, I would've already bought a new computer instead of using this absolutely god awful SFF Optiplex 760 (That is now beginning to fall apart as well.), and if I had done that, I'd have never thought in 2017 of getting and playing a game that is as absolutely archaic as Doom, and my only interest and knowledge relating to it would still be as a curiosity and as that game that is the grandfather of all first person shooters. At most I'd have played it on DOSBox with the original executable

Princess Diana’s death and funeral.

There might be something earlier that I’m forgetting but that seems to be the first non-stop media circus type event I can remember.

The Magna Carta Libertatum charter. King John was soiling his royal drawers at the prospect of having his testicles chopped off by the rebel barons in his kingdom.

Oh, wait. You said "event you can remember". 

Germans partying on the Berlin Wall in 1989, when I would've been 4.

But the earliest memory I have period is of crapping my diaper at 2 1/2, while watching the late-night news, on a specific local channel, talking about our NFL team. Unfortunately that's not "important" enough to count.

The OJ Simpson trial and the surrounding drama leading up to and following it. I was 3-4 when that was all going down..

I am pretty young so mine are pretty current, i think Obama being elected and Kosovo declaring independence are my earliest ones from when i was 6.

The earliest 'non famous person' death event i can remember possibly is 9/11 when i was around 9, i remember that morning my brother woke me up with the tv set on the news and said something about 'some people throwing missiles at a tower' and then the whole thing happened. 

Even tho i don't live in the states i do remember that everyone was talking about it the following days and after the fallout from that started to happen i remember kinda realizing that something big was happening at the time, and sure enough it did

Besides the obvious 9/11, probably witnessing the election of the first black president.

Earliest with verifiable dates: Spassky-Fischer in 1972. Makes sense, I guess.

I also remember the Second Cod War, but checking the dates, that started a little later that year. Funny, both events involving Iceland.

There are surely some earlier news stories I recall, but not with dates that can really be confirmed. Probably I must have seen some Apollo stuff, but can't be sure which. The earliest space stuff I remember watching live for certain was Apollo-Soyuz, but that wasn't until 1975. I also checked the miners' strike dates, but the one I recall must have been 1974 (power blackouts and all sorts of shit; dad rigged up car headlights/batteries around the house so we could see without having to use candles).

Really wish I recall watching any of the moon landings live. Probably by the time I would have remembered them, the public had lost interest and they weren't big TV events any more. I suppose no one at the time realized that we wouldn't get beyond low earth orbit for at least another 50 years.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

The OJ Simpson trial and the surrounding drama leading up to and following it. I was 3-4 when that was all going down..

I remember actually seeing the verdict live while eating lunch in my class.

Couldn't tell you the circumstances as to why I was the only one eating lunch in my class, though. (Well, besides my teachers.) Everyone else had been bad for some reason or another, as best as I can remember.

I sort-of remember the death of Princess Diana of Wales (I would've been 5) and the impeachment of Bill Clinton.

There are probably a few other things that I vaguely remember from the news but haven't actually associated with their respective events- drawing a blank right now though.

Side note- this is pretty dumb, but I recall being extremely anxious over the impending Y2K phenomenon because it conjured images of Descent for me, lol.

Edited by Smouths

19 minutes ago, Smouths said:

Side note- this is pretty dumb, but I recall being extremely anxious over the impending Y2K phenomenon because it conjured images of Descent for me, lol.

This. Honestly I was pretty happy-go-lucky and entirely clueless to the world around me as a child up until mid-late 1999, then all of a sudden I was petrified about Y2K and somehow got it into my head that the planet was literally going to explode at midnight.