Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oldschoolgeek32

What Is Your Favorite Doom II Weapon (Poll!)

What Is Your Favorite Classic Doom Weapon (Poll!)  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favorite Doom II Weapon? :)

• Fists
    • Pistol
    • Shotgun
    • Super Shotgun
    • Chaingun
    • Plasma Rifle
    • BFG
    • Chainsaw
    • Rocket Launcher

10 hours ago, Jello said:

Big surprise at the results. Completely did not see the SSG with a commanding lead. No sirree. 

It's a fricken rocket launcher with no splash damage, of course it's number one.

To me it's just satisfying to use, especially the reloading 'clack' it makes, the power is a fun bonus

Such a hard choice! If I were to judge soley in terms of raw satisfaction, I'd go with the SSG like a debased pleb.

My favourite though... that would have to be the basic, plain, simple garden variety Shotgun. He may not be glamorous, but he's reliable to a fault. There. That's my Doom hipster opinion.

Also, can't help but think it'd be more interesting to ask this question for Ultimate Doom. In that case I'd go with the Berserk Fist and the Shotgun, in that order.

SSG for being perhaps the most versatile, followed by the rocket launcher and BFG

Also one more note about why I love the Plasma:

Its ability to painlock almost anything is unparalleled. It can render most enemies completely harmless once the stream connects.

I love plasma spam, and on a completely unrelated note, my audiologist says I'll be deaf in 2 years if I don't make lifestyle changes.

Fists (Berserk of course), SSG, Plasma Rifle.

SSG is versatile and has some better crowd clearing power then chaingun up close (though chaingun is much better at range) but it is also reasonably effective against mid tier enemies without having to dump as much more powerful weapons.  Plasma Rifle is stupid efficient in both causing pain and laying down damage for it's ammo, and berserk fists is a great killer and gibbing things with your hands is too damn fun.

4 hours ago, Oldschoolgeek32 said:

Guys, We have reached 99 Members Who Have Joined The Poll

(Just 1 More till 100) XD

Pfft I don't know what you're so excited about. 69 members is where it's at!

Spoiler

(PS: I'm only kidding, don't take it seriously)

I... don't actually know.

But when in doubt, use the chaingun. Lot of Hitscan shots in high sucession makes it my choice for every encounter when I need to save ammo or to stun in dark corridors and traps. Also for mass zombie killing and finishing enemies that should have died in their minimum number of SSG shots. Yeah I'll go for the chaingun.

edit: also snipping, very important. And stunning lost souls and killing Pain Elementals.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:04 PM, AinuTheTaken said:

Chaingun was a nice addition to Doom 2 so I voted for that.

Uhh... the chaingun was in Doom 1 as well. You can get it in the second level.

On 10/19/2020 at 6:34 PM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I appreciate you making this a multiple choice poll, and I went with Super Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, and BFG. I can't say I have a favorite among those three, because... they're each my favorite weapon in varying circumstances. Evaporating an entire room of hitscanners with the BFG, systematically dominating a horde of Revenants with the RL, and miraculously stun-locking an Archvile with every single shot of the SSG, are moments I'll never tire of.  

Huh, I voted identically. How about that.

4 minutes ago, DooM Bear said:

I really expected the BFG to get more love!

Perhaps there aren't enough people playing slaughtermaps and putting the BFG to good use.

I voted for both the rocket launcher and the BFG. Of course, the SSG and the fists (with berserk) are close.

SSG since it's the bread and butter of demon slayin'. A small tear for the regular shotgun, it's actually more versatile than the SSG but is a tad too weak to really compete. Or the SSG is overpowered, I'm a bit undecided on that.

Rocket launcher since on most maps it is a really good combination of splash damage, raw damage, and range. Good thing its friendly fire stings major ass or else it would be completely broken.

BFG because while it has more damage per cell than the plasma, is the "best" weapon while still not completely superseding the rest of the arsenal. As long as the map doesn't let cells rain down on you, that is, but that usually only happens on slaughter maps.

On the other points raised in this thread, I really like the RNG in DOOM. It means having to adapt quickly in the heat of the moment and staying on your toes. I'm not married to the concept, but prefer it to be the way it is.
I also think that the Plasma Rifle sharing ammunition with the BFG is critical in order to balance the two out, especially the BFG. I remember that when my dad played back in the heyday he never really found the BFG (he's not really a gamer) so he ended up using the Plasma almost all the time. Having them share ammo means to me that I only use the Plasma sparingly in order to save ammo for the BFG in order to deal with the trickiest fights.

Edit: grammar and phrasing.

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

Rocket launcher since on most maps it is a really good combination of splash damage, raw damage, and range. Good thing its friendly fire stings major ass or else it would be completely broken.

100%

I really never understood the accolades the super-shotgun gets over the rocket launcher. Yes, the super-shotgun is powerful up close and if used well it is essentially the most effective all-round weapon in the game, BUT I find it really slow (the reload time is a total liability sometimes) and in crowded spaces with a lot of fodder (zombies, imps etc.) I always find myself switching to the rocket launcher for that splash damage, raw damage and range you mention. For a single super-shotgun blast and reload you can pop off 2-3 rockets and level twice as many enemies. That said, your point about the friendly fire is 100% correct. It would be the single most bullshit weapon in the whole game if it didn't carry it's friendly fire, taking into account it's fire-rate to damage ratio.

The 12g Hand Cannon, otherwise the Rocket launcher should the former not be available.

On 10/19/2020 at 6:04 PM, Argenteo said:

Rip and tear!

*snip*

...until it is done. Amen.

Edited by HavoX

Poor old Chainsaw is not faring too well. It may not be everyone's first choice, but the Chainsaw is always ready to get you out those tight spots when munitions are depleted.

23 minutes ago, beast said:

Poor old Chainsaw is not faring too well. It may not be everyone's first choice, but the Chainsaw is always ready to get you out those tight spots when munitions are depleted.

This doesn't bode well for my chainsaw only map lol

On 10/19/2020 at 6:04 PM, AinuTheTaken said:

Chaingun was a nice addition to Doom 2 so I voted for that.

You can literally get it as early as E1M2 in Ultimate Doom lmao.

SSG is the best Doom II weapon because it's the only Doom II weapon, the rest are from Doom. /s

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for the BFG. It's not only the most powerful weapon, but also the most mechanically interesting (though maybe a bit too unintuitive for its own good...). The combination of the firing delay, the projectile, and the tracers gives it many ways it can be used, such as intentionally firing the projectile at a wall and poking your head out for the tracer damage, or charging the weapon before walking through a teleporter, and either spreading the tracers among a large crowd or focusing on a boss monster. The BFG is also remarkably well-balanced for a "superweapon" - it's certainly an extremely powerful weapon, but not so insane that it trivializes all encounters, though you may have to play harder wads to appreciate that. Ammo for it is usually plentiful enough that it can be used regularly, but it consumes enough for each shot to be significant, especially if you don't have a backpack. Even in easier wads where it does trivialize encounters, optimizing its use adds significant depth to speedruns. My sole complaint about the BFG is that the shared ammo discourages use of the plasma gun, which I wouldn't mind if the plasma gun weren't also one of the cooler weapons in the game.