Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

I have a thought.......!!!! I think...?

If Doom 3 comes up with the ability to edit/make levels, how many of you are actually gonna do it...? Since making levels for 3-d games takes so f*ckin long...?

I'll probably end up doing the same thing I did with Doom & Doom 2; I'll learn how to make levels, but never finish anything I start.

But I would at least like to think that I'll actually make some levels for Doom 3.

Doom 3 will come with an editor right out of the box and it will be easy to learn for those who are used to editing maps for Quake 3 Arena.

Ultraviolet said:

How about a Doom-to-Doom3 converter? :P

Heh, sounds like a good idea to me. Now who would code it?

Stealthy Ivan said:

If Doom 3 comes up with the ability to edit/make levels, how many of you are actually gonna do it...? Since making levels for 3-d games takes so f*ckin long...?

A few people already are... :P

Ultraviolet said:

How about a Doom-to-Doom3 converter? :P

What would the point of that be? Original Doom 1/2 maps done with the Doom 3 engine, but done exactly like they are in the original game would suck - talk about serious underuse of the game's engine capabilities.

I'd rather want someone with a bit of imaginative powers in his/her brain to make the old maps for Doom 3, but where it is designed to fit in with the engine a little better.

Since making levels for 3-d games takes so f*ckin long...?

Does it take so much longer than making maps for classic Doom? I think it's just a matter of how accustomed you are to the tools and how much detail you want in your level.
The level in the Rtc-3057 demo took like a whole fucking year for Shaviro to do (ok, he DID have other things to work on but still) and that was classic Doom. That level is about as detailed as the typical modern shooter's levels imo.

It's all a matter of the engine having less limitations to how many details you can cram into a level afaik.

Ultraviolet said:

dsm: I was thinking just so we could take addon doom1/2 levels and convert them, then add more detail.

Ah ok, but still...
Remaking the original Doom maps would involve massive changes that I'm convinced would make it better if the level author made the level from scratch - just a thought.

Ultraviolet said:

dsm: I was thinking just so we could take addon doom1/2 levels and convert them, then add more detail.

Heh, or have the old, levels, with old graphics and all, but with the Doom III other jazz. :D

WhilelM said:

Be careful of rights. You'll need to got autorisation from Id to do such thing.

Coding a Doom->Doom3 convertor isn't illegal. Because such a program can be used to convert custom maps to the new Doom game, which is perfectly ok (if you have permission of the original author that is).

Only the mechanical conversion of official id maps (or another company) is illegal.

I also agree that it would be better to just build the map from scratch. It would probably better fit the engine that way.

I was originally supposed to be a level designer in demise for doom3. =\

Ichor said:

How about a Doom 3 -> Doom converter?

Simple answer: That's not possible.

Here's why: In classic Doom you can't have a room above another room like you can in any modern shooter, and Doom 3 allows you to do a lot of things with your maps that would not be possible in even the newer game engines - naturally, attempting to convert this to classic Doom would cause a wide array of fatal errors.

I mean, how the Hell would you even be able to convert levels in Quake to Doom? It's hopeless, because of all the complexity in the architechture and all the rooms above other rooms.