Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
igg

What's your favorite level (The Ancient Gods Part I)?

What's your favorite level (The Ancient Gods Part I)?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite level

• UAC Atlantica
    • Blood Swamps
    • The Holt

I can't decide between UAC Atlantica and Blood Swamps

• UAC Atlantica: Although the level design is kind of "traditional" id Software did some awesome things with the environment
  • Blood Swamps: The jump'n run sections feel fluid and I like the non-linear approach
Edited by igg

I’m going to refrain from voting for now...

On my first and only run (so far), UAC Atlantica was my favourite. Cosmetically speaking, I tend to prefer realistic levels on earth, and this was expertly made. It felt a lot like a 2016 level with some of the secrets and routes as well, but on the Eternal engine, which i loved.

However, it was also the easier of the three (for me), and the least frustrating... I started on Nightmare and struggled on the last two, especially Holt.

As I replay the campaign and get a better at the battles and the platforming, I’ll be better at determining which level i like the flow of more, which is more important to me than looks.

I’ll come back and vote then, but if I were to vote now, it would be UAC

Edited by Mattatsu

Blood Swamps for me. I don't really know how to describe it and why, but it gave me the vibe of an old school Doom level in certain moments.

Blood Swamps

- Has a really attractive atmosphere and visual design. Just look at this background!

- Unique encounter designs (foggy pathway, buffed Marauder, Argent wolf, etc.).

- Introduces three new enemy types: Spirits, Spectre Whiplashes, and Giant Tentacles.

- Can alternate path progression on repeat playthroughs.

- Has some amazing combat music.

- Has a uniquely designed boss encounter. It also features some great music.

- Doom 3 references (Betruger Castle and Ishii Keep).

Blood Swamps looks like the clear favorite. People have already mentioned the unique stuff on this level, and I found the boss fight really engaging without being too over the top.

Visually, Blood Swamps looks like if somebody made an OG Doom map with gothictx.wad and lots of nukage, then ported it to Eternal.

Visually Blood Swamps is AWESOME but I don't like the boss fight in the end. I think the first map is the one I liked the most

With the platforming and the squid platforms in the Holt, i just remembered how some Mario games had "snake-like" platforms that were moving around like snakes, with their "bodies" having fixated blocks as if they were frozen but being placed/erased or some weird effect.

Meaning you had to move along, instead of simply standing on the "snake" platform.

Then you had to stand on the top/tip when it moves vertically.

I wonder if those weird "living" snake-like platforms could work in Doom.

Also, if they bring back the Harvester from 2016's MP, i always imagined an (otherwise avoidable) Hellrazer-like beam that would syphon the player's health to heal itself.

One way to balance that attack is to make it so, if the player has armor, the armor goes down but the Harvester can't heal itself if only the armor is going down.

Not only could it slightly balance that "self-heal" attack, it could also jusfity the armor being a second HP bar.

Other abilities could include healing damaged/injured enemies (either erasing activated weak spots or bringing back health points, could do either but only one at a time with a specific demon (which could be randomized)) and maybe summon those Tesla rocket/BFG-like electric eyes that Samur could summon.

Then the back "lungs" from its concept art could be weak spots to deactivate those healing related abilities, resorting to 5 projectiles and the shocking eyes.

Speaking of new demons, apparently these are cancelled demons from the cancelled Doom 4.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/kq5ke0/cancelled_doom_4_monsters/

The music that kicks in during the trials of Blood Swamps gave me goosebumps during my first play through- I love the DLC so far (haven’t completed Holt yet) but Blood Swamps is the definite highlight.

Honestly didn’t love the UAC level. It was fine but nothing about it stood out to me beyond its difficulty.

Blood Swamps. No contest. It's what defines the Doom universe. Macabre, hellish environments. Something the new games need more of. A LOT more. Atlantica was neat for a UAC facility. I was disappointed overall that the DLC was so short... And even more so that there wasn't enough Hell. The Holt is just going back to Urdak. While I loved Urdak and was surprised by unexpectedness, 3 levels is still 3 levels.

Where are the rest of my Kadingir Sanctum fans! FAVOURITE DOOM 2016 level!

And since this is my first post and there's no introduction area on the forum, I figured i'd use this opportunity to ask some questions. I've been working on something Doom Eternal related. It's feedback. But not your typical feedback. I've dressed it up a little fancier. I was wondering if this forum is looked at by any developers at Id?

On 1/8/2021 at 7:07 PM, Prenihility said:

And since this is my first post and there's no introduction area on the forum, I figured i'd use this opportunity to ask some questions. I've been working on something Doom Eternal related. It's feedback. But not your typical feedback. I've dressed it up a little fancier. I was wondering if this forum is looked at by any developers at Id?

It is. Mick Gordon was/is also here.

UAC Atlantica beat me senseless, that one gauntlet near the end with the monkey bar and jump-pad combo was absolutely punishing and I was on the floor with a grin. Loved it. Played it again after.

17 hours ago, Azuris said:

Blood Swamps, but overall the Expansion felt cheaply made.

Cheaply? It definitely lacked the QC the base game received during development but I feel like that probably has more to do with devs working from home than cheapness on anyone’s part. 
That being said I sequence broke Atlantica within twenty minutes by pure mistake and have fallen through levels just grappling around more than once. 

9 hours ago, CivilianM91 said:

Cheaply? It definitely lacked the QC the base game received during development but I feel like that probably has more to do with devs working from home than cheapness on anyone’s part. 
That being said I sequence broke Atlantica within twenty minutes by pure mistake and have fallen through levels just grappling around more than once. 

Yep, cheaply in the Way they throw Enemies in.

It doesn't feel like a Challange, it's more going on your Nerves how they do it.

It is like a Group of Customers coming in five Minutes before you close your Shop only wasting your Time.

I like the Ghosts and the new Spectre, the Levels itselfs are looking nice.

But the Level Design lacks the polish the original Game had.

At the End it will be like Plutonia, some will like it, some will hate it.

2 hours ago, Azuris said:

Yep, cheaply in the Way they throw Enemies in.

It doesn't feel like a Challange, it's more going on your Nerves how they do it.

It is like a Group of Customers coming in five Minutes before you close your Shop only wasting your Time.

I like the Ghosts and the new Spectre, the Levels itselfs are looking nice.

But the Level Design lacks the polish the original Game had.

At the End it will be like Plutonia, some will like it, some will hate it.

I misunderstood what you meant by cheap- my bad. Now this I can agree with