Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GraphicBleeder

What difficulty do you play Doom on?

For me, my preference is UV unless it's something like a slaughter map or Plutonia, but I'd like to hear your guys preference's for the difficulty.

Ultra Violence all the time and then I regret doing it on newer wads

Ultra Violence at first. If it looks like a really good .wad, but I'm getting my ass kicked, I'll turn it down to Hurt Me Plenty so I can play it. I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of slaughter maps. I would rather enjoy playing Doom than sit there getting my ass handed to me time and time again on UV.

I love UV, original iwads: UV. Most user made .wads, UV. But if it looks like it really has something interesting to offer but it's kicking my ass, I'll swallow my pride and turn it down a notch. I'm more comfortable doing that than just playing on UV and IDDQD'ing it.

I made a giga thread with plenty of poll options a few months back but understandably it's probably buried.

UV unless it's way harder than I thought it would be then I'm bringing it down to HMP. That's the intention anyway, haven't had to do it yet but I'm also woefully behind on modern WADs. If HMP is still too difficult then HNTR is as low as I'll go. If difficulty settings are unsupported and it's a nightmare no matter what which is incredibly specific then ITYTD for the slight damage reduction and pickup bonuses. -Fast if I'm in the mood for an extra challenge or it's too easy even on UV but again I barely play with fast monsters, but I can if I do.

4 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Do we really need this exact same thread posted every few months? There's a search function for a reason.

I feel like I'm being a dick but honestly, it'll be the exact same replies every time:

"UV but change to HMP if it's tough"
"UV but I savescum on difficult parts"

"UV only / UV pistol starts only"

"UV -fast for iwads"
"Always HMP"
"I read the readme and base it off that"

Sorry, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Hurt me Plenty except for Doom 2 and Doom 1's Episode 2 and 3 (Episode 1 UV is fairly hard due to the amount of God damned hitscanners, and I do not think I need to explain why I won't play Episode 4 on UV.)

49 minutes ago, GraphicBleeder said:

Sorry, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Sorry, don't let me put you off posting in DW. It's just we see this exact thread all the time and I had to vent.

3 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Sorry, don't let me put you off posting in DW. It's just we see this exact thread all the time and I had to vent.

That's completely understandable man, I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times by now, sorry for not realizing it sooner.

Ultra Violence. However... I think there was this one guy we all miss right folks? No one was as good as him, he played UV fast and keyboard only, (we knew that because he told us all the time.) . It was awesome when he posted about it everywhere no matter the subject. LOLOLOL. JK

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

3 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Ultra Violence. However... I think there was this one guy we all miss right folks? No one was as good as him, he played UV fast and keyboard only, (we knew that because he told us all the time.) . It was awesome when he posted about it everywhere no matter the subject. LOLOLOL. JK

Not caught up on context, who was this guy?

3 hours ago, GraphicBleeder said:

Not caught up on context, who was this guy?

I don't really want to go on about it because I don't want to make this thread a bullying session.

3 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

I don't really want to go on about it because I don't want to make this thread a bullying session.

PM then maybe?

UV(-max) pistol start all the way. If I get stuck on a map for too long, I admit defeat and try to look for a WAD that's more aligned with my skill level and practice from there.

Started working on UV(-max) -fast recently, beginning with the IWADs in chronological release order (TNT before Plutonia though). Have only gotten to E2M6 so far.

EtA: I tried DOOM 2 -fast and got stuck on ("God damn it Sandy") Tricks and Traps a few months ago.

... Something like that. It's not a rigorous plan or anything. E.g. there's a (pinned I think) thread that lists a couple of WAD in a rough difficulty order meant to give you a relatively smooth skill improvement trajectory. I just started going by that and completed Fava Beans the other day, but I'm trudging through BTSX simultaneously since I've been dying to play it even though it's tougher than I anticipated.

HMP is super comfy 
I'm just a little guy looking for a good time.

Started off playing on HMP from when I got here before pushing onto UV since August for the most part, but will bump down to HMP if something gets just too damn hard.

Always UV on everything except Eternal :-) 

In Eternal I learnt the hard way to do initial play throughs on HMP then do a UV run after I’ve learnt the mechanics / what to expect.

UV for the IWADs and older PWADs, for most modern outings, I've gotta bump it down to HMP and for stuff like Resurgence, I gotta play on HNTR.

7 hours ago, N1ck said:

UV. Why is this question asked so frequently?

7 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Do we really need this exact same thread posted every few months? There's a search function for a reason.

I feel like I'm being a dick but honestly, it'll be the exact same replies every time:

"UV but change to HMP if it's tough"
"UV but I savescum on difficult parts"

"UV only / UV pistol starts only"

"UV -fast for iwads"
"Always HMP"
"I read the readme and base it off that"

So glad others are picking this up now. From what difficulties, which fave enemy to worst source port - there really is a influx of new users asking the same thing over and over. As if Doomworld hosts its own Groundhog Day.

Use the search, Luke!

Hurt me plenty and ultra-violence. I only do nightmare for achievements or challenges.

Indeed, just like questions regarding Reddit or social media, this also pops up periodically.

My answer is still the same, for new wads HMP is my default unless it's something easy. If not, then I go down to HNTR, and if even that ends up insane - been there, done that -, then a little godmode never hurt anybody.