Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GraphicBleeder

What difficulty do you play Doom on?

10 hours ago, DooM Bear said:

Always UV on everything except Eternal :-) 

In Eternal I learnt the hard way to do initial play throughs on HMP then do a UV run after I’ve learnt the mechanics / what to expect.

That's a thing I never really understood to be honest. I'm not trying to brag about my skill, I just don't think Eternal is all that hard on UV, well, early game yeah, but once you get your bearings and get into the groove of the gameplay, it's just smooth sailing from there for me. I don't know, maybe I've just been playing it too much.

Gonna sound weird, but I've been playing Doom I/II since they came out in the stores.

Always on the VERY easiest setting, LOL!

I always just wanted to play as MANY levels/WADs as I could and never wanted to get bogged down with dying!  LOL!

Everybody's different I guess...

JR

5 hours ago, JohnnyRockets said:

Gonna sound weird, but I've been playing Doom I/II since they came out in the stores.

Always on the VERY easiest setting, LOL!

I always just wanted to play as MANY levels/WADs as I could and never wanted to get bogged down with dying!  LOL!

Everybody's different I guess...

JR

Dude that's completely fine, honestly people who say Ultra Violence is the "ideal" way to play doom are talking horseshit in my eyes.

21 hours ago, GraphicBleeder said:

Dude that's completely fine, honestly people who say Ultra Violence is the "ideal" way to play doom are talking horseshit in my eyes.

Thanks man!

I have a hard time sometimes on the easy settings, LOL!

You UV guys are my heroes!

JR

On 10/28/2020 at 9:18 PM, Maximum Matt said:

Nightmare. Blindfolded. Sitting in a lotus position. In midair 

I'd expect nothing less!!!  ;)

Awesome!

7 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Nothin wrong with savescumming bro

That's why I have no regrets :) People who don't save are people who don't need to save anymore, and they usually are the humble ones.

Doom is one of those games which double the enemy numbers instead of their damage input, you better enjoy it. I want as many things to shoot at as possible.

I have good reflexes,  but an incredibly bad aim. Therefore I always play on Hey, Not too rough, except Sunlust that I play on I'm too young to die. 

Ironically, the wad I'm making is for UV, so I often die while playtesting. That's what mapping teammates are for after all.

I do go to HMP on Ancient aliens, but only because I know every single nook and cranny of it.

UV most of the time, sometimes HMP if its a really insane wad, and sometimes UV Fast or UV Solonet if I want a bonus challenge on a wad i've played before

Hurt me Plenty. I find a lot of modern maps to be on the difficult side and almost impossible to finish without dying at least once. And after playing thousands of Doom maps I'm confident to say that I'm an average or above skilled player but some maps can be crazy hard.

I'm starting to suspect that this is a controller vs mouse issue. I'm a controller player (gasp!) and tend to find turning slower and also maps feel a little congested to me. Old school Doom plays fine with a controller but some new maps with high difficulty is a real challenge as you need faster reflexes and turning capability. 

(I've tried to change to become a mouse+keyboard player but I'm shit at it. Oh well.)

On 10/27/2020 at 2:30 AM, AinuTheTaken said:

Probably UV all the time and I just skip the map if it's intentionally too hard on UV.

yeah same thing for me

Hurt Me Plenty, just because it's in the middle, my brain keeps telling me that's moderate difficulty settings. It's like a habit at this point.

Hard stuff designed around fights (Sunlust, Stardate 20x7, and so on): generally UV.

Other stuff: HNTR, HMP, or UV. Even when UV's difficulty is well within your wheelhouse, I think a lower difficulty can end up being better for your preferences -- it might suit your desired playstyle better, be better aligned with what you want to focus on (it might not be fighting), or just... play better for your tastes even if UV was worked on more. There is at least one wad I can think of where I'll probably replay it on ITYTD. 

I'm playing easier mapsets for the time being, so UV it is. Time will tell if I will be able to handle tough wads on UV

HMP most of the time. I play Doom to unwind or get creatively inspired, alongside some combination of a podcast, light beer, and 90's grunge. I'll crank it up to UV if I'm using a weapons/gameplay mod that's meant to be powerful but not ludicrously so (think Lieutenant Typhon). I'm mainly here to shoot bad guys and maybe stretch my reflex and resource management muscles.