• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

What Is Your Opinion On TLOU2?

What Do You Think Of The Game?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think Of The Game?

My brother has recently started playing through The Last Of Us 2, and so I went into YouTube to rewatch some video reviews about the game. I remember everybody hating it when it came out, but I was actually surprised in seeing some people actually liking and defending the game. It still is very divisive though... So, I just want to ask, what is your personal opinion on the game?

I didn't think much of the first one when I tried it so wasn't exactly interested in the sequel. All the stuff surrounding it did not help. 

Big fan of TLOU1, don't have a PS4 so I watched it on Youtube. It looks really good and I thought the story was great, especially because it made a certain segment of the gaming population very angry. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

especially because it made a certain segment of the gaming population very angry. 

What, TLOU1 fans? If I were to hazard a guess at what you think you meant here, I don't think those people were angry, they just mocked the game relentlessly. The people who seemed let down just didn't want to see their sense of closure from the first game ruined, a friend of mine is just not interested in the game for that reason and he is not in that crowd that I think you mean at all. 

And some people were perhaps motivated to be angry at it by the crunch behind the scenes of development. I don't blame those people for that. 

I played the first game and it's pretty good. I wasn't interested enough to play the second one; I think it's been over a year since the last time I played a modern console game. The dumpster fire of controversy surrounding it was entertaining, though, and I did end up watching this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa9oEroGDQc

2 hours ago, hybridial said:

What, TLOU1 fans? If I were to hazard a guess at what you think you meant here, I don't think those people were angry, they just mocked the game relentlessly.

TLOU2 has moments of pure brilliance that harbors back to the first one, but is ultimately fully laid back by an emphasis on story telling on characters that you do not feel as connected to as you would with the first. That is really its major gripe first and formost.

2 hours ago, hybridial said:

And some people were perhaps motivated to be angry at it by the crunch behind the scenes of development. I don't blame those people for that. 

Crunch is a regular occurence in game development since the dawn of time. People being surprised at that generally do not really know much about the inner workings either way.

The difference should be if crunch is compensated adequately somewhere down the line. If its not, then its problematic.

I looked at the abbreviation TLOU2 for a couple minutes and was like “ The Legend.. of... U2?”

The original was the most overrated game I have ever played, so I couldn't care less about the sequel. Too restrictive to be fun, unrewarding exploration, shallow gameplay, and a story that ripped off every post apocalyptic story ever made. Naughty Dog hasn't created a game that is actually satisfying to play since the old Crash Bandicoot games, and even then Spyro was the better franchise.

Naughty Dog output:

Crash 1: Aged horribly

Crash 2: A pretty good platformer, but too restrictive compared to it's contemporaries

Crash 3: Same as Crash 2, but not as good

Uncharted 1: Aged horribly

Uncharted 2: An okay action platformer, with totally unsatisfying gameplay and combat, and a story that gets more and more ridiculous as it goes. One of the worst final bosses in history.

Uncharted 3: Same as Uncharted 2, but not as good

Uncharted 4: Never completed, but seemed the same as Uncharted 2 or 3 but with better graphics.

TLoU: unsatisfying combat with a derivative story, exploration yields little reward

TLoU 2: I gave up with ND at this point

1 minute ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The original was the most overrated game I have ever played, so I couldn't care less about the sequel. Too restrictive to be fun, unrewarding exploration, shallow gameplay, and a story that ripped off every post apocalyptic story ever made. Naughty Dog hasn't created a game that is actually satisfying to play since the old Crash Bandicoot games, and even then Spyro was the better franchise.

Naughty Dog output:

Crash 2: A pretty good platformer, but too restrictive compared to it's contemporaries

Uncharted 1: Aged horribly

Uncharted 2: An okay action platformer, with totally unsatisfying gameplay and combat, with a story that gets more and more ridiculous as it goes. One of the worst final bosses in history.

Uncharted 3: Same as Uncharted 2, but not as good

Uncharted 4: Never completed, but seemed the same as Uncharted 2 or 3 but with better graphics.

TLoU: unsatisfying combat with a derivative story, exploration yields little reward

TLoU 2: I gave up with ND at this point

What do you think about Jak And Daxter too?

3 minutes ago, DSC said:

What do you think about Jak And Daxter too?

Forgot about those, the first one was great when I played it, didn't like the direction the sequels took with the GTA inspiration and edgy characters.

Even then, Ratchet and Clank was better.

And Banjo Kazooie was better than Ratchet, Jak, Spyro, Gex, Croc, or any other 90's -2004 era 3d platformer.

27 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

And Banjo Kazooie was better than Ratchet, Jak, Spyro, Gex, Croc, or any other 90's -2004 era 3d platformer.

Well hey, much more interesting games to actually talk about but it goes Super Mario 64 > Sly Cooper > Everything else as far as I'm concerned. 

I couldn't agree more on Naughty Dog's general approach to game design since though, I feel like they want to make movies, not videogames and they're bad videogames because they try too hard to be movies.

The quality of the cinematic and written material feels like a different argument in itself, but I still don't think much of it.  

I don't see what the big deal was. I'm sure there are some legitimate critiques of the game, but they all got buried under the endless "BUFF GURL BAD!!!!" discourse, so I honestly just don't care anymore.

Just like the first game, it seems like a perfectly serviceable third-person shooter with decent crafting and stealth mechanics that happens to have dozens of hours of cutscenes and dialogue. It's one of those super cinematic, story-heavy linear games where gameplay is clearly not the main draw, nor does it seem to be intended to be. Those generally aren't my cup of tea (I just don't have the attention span for them) but they're pretty inoffensive as far as I'm concerned. Naughty Dog has crunched their devs into oblivion for not just this game, but for their last several games. So for my two cents, they can fuck themselves.

Edited by Maggle

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Crash is a GOD. This take is so cold I got freezerburn!

31 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Well hey, much more interesting games to actually talk about but it goes Super Mario 64 > Sly Cooper > Everything else as far as I'm concerned.

Whew... a decent take.. I can calm down now

5 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Big fan of TLOU1, don't have a PS4 so I watched it on Youtube. It looks really good and I thought the story was great, especially because it made a certain segment of the gaming population very angry. 

If I was hit with multiple false copyright claims over leaked footage that I didn't even use, I'd be pretty angry, too.

1 hour ago, hybridial said:

I couldn't agree more on Naughty Dog's general approach to game design since though, I feel like they want to make movies, not videogames and they're bad videogames because they try too hard to be movies.

The quality of the cinematic and written material feels like a different argument in itself, but I still don't think much of it.  

I agree, and for the record SM64 is great too. I'm a big fan of more open and exploratory 3d platformers like SM64, Banjo, Gex, and even Croc and Spyro. Sly is one of the few series like that that I've never played. Wish there was a remaster on PC of the series.

@TheMagicMushroomMan Jesus Christ. Those takes could probably trigger, like... well into 8 figures worth of people, lol. Most of those games are among the most critically acclaimed of their respective generations. ND was pretty much nothing but net up until TLOU2 to just about anyone that enjoys story-driven games, 3PS's or platformers.

As for TLOU2. It shouldn't exist. It has much in common with Star Wars 7. A very mediocre completely fan-service driven shoehorned-in reboot sequel with a lamer story and characters I don't care about, along with killing off the old guy main character that everybody loved.

Meh, not interested.

Saw some footage from the first and left it there, didn't motivate me to see more.

I haven't played either, them being console exclusives and all. I did watch some footage from both games and managed to catch a bit of the drama about the 2nd one. Yeah, I'd be a bit salty if the devs decided to golfclub a character I connected with.

I heard about it, but like any other console exclusive I have little to no interest in it, let alone any controversies surounding it. not that it matters much, it just looks like another one of your stereo-typical third-person shooters set in a post-apocalyptic setting, where you spend more time hiding in the bushes (because StEaLtH = StRaTeGy) than actually playing the thing.

Edited by sluggard

I play games with a 5 year delay so I can play everything and I can use the latest emulator to play console games. Also I don't struggle with system requeriments. So no, but I'll talk to you in 2025.

BTW, has anyone played Cuphead? great game lololol

@TheMagicMushroomMan It sounds like Naughty Dog games are just not your thing, because... Jesus, you really have not liked a single thing they've done? That's honestly impressive.

Anyway, I think both are good games, but that's not what I want to talk about. The thing that pisses me off is the absolutely fucking awful breakdown of discussion that has happened with this game on the internet. I've never seen a game inspire such virile hatred and vile toxicity that I've seen it spark with this one.

It's gone far beyond just discussing the game itself, but the full-blown bigotry on display by many people, because the game dared to acknowledge LGBT+ people. Then there's the absolute harassment that the development team has gotten online, which I don't care just how much you dislike a game, if you harass a dev team and do things like send the director of the game fucking death threats, than you're just a bad fucking person.

It's an absolute fucking shame, because what's lost is discussing the absolute technical masterwork that TLOU2 is, the time and work put into it. People put years of their life into this game, and that should be recognized first and foremost.

/rant over

8 hours ago, CasualScrub said:

@TheMagicMushroomMan It sounds like Naughty Dog games are just not your thing, because... Jesus, you really have not liked a single thing they've done? That's honestly impressive.

Pfft that's easy mode, git gud scrub

8 hours ago, CasualScrub said:

It's an absolute fucking shame, because what's lost is discussing the absolute technical masterwork that TLOU2 is, the time and work put into it. People put years of their life into this game, and that should be recognized first and foremost.

/rant over

Even from my point of view its frustrating because I have fairly strong feelings about how misguided and limited The Last of Us and games like it are, which stem purely from a design standpoint, I mean I felt exactly the same about the Uncharted games it's not just The Last of Us. I think the story argument is different and I think the work there is mediocre but I really am more kind of frustrated with how little there is to those games in terms of interactive activity, and there have been games in the past that utilised the medium far more in execution, the Silent Hill series is generally a good example of that, Metal Gear was pretty good at it until Kojima clearly had no steam left,  but something like The Last of Us feels more like they wanted to make a movie more than anything and I'd call a lot of the work that goes into them wasted, but I know others would disagree, that's fine. 

But we can't really discuss design philosophy with all that yelling around the game, or at least it certainly makes it harder. 

23 hours ago, CasualScrub said:

Then there's the absolute harassment that the development team has gotten online

To be fair, Druckman did say some rather dickish things that pissed people off.

So saying something dickish justifies death threats? The fuck is wrong with you? 

Not just the development team, but also voice actress Laura Bailey received a lot of death threats. Threatening someone because you hate a character they portrayed is pathetic.