Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scypek2

What's your favorite midi that uses an IWAD song as a base?

I recently went back to working on a mapset that reimagines the original E1 and E2 maps, and for some of the levels neither unchanged songs or entirely new music felt right. But for my new E1M1 (taking place where the Tower of Babel would stand in an alternate timeline), I found something perfect: Plunge Saw by @Bucket, from the Plutonia Midi Project. It starts off with Nobody Told Me About Id, but then evolves into its own thing, at one point incorporating an exceptionally energetic take on D_E2M4. I've heard a few remixes of Doom midis (most of them just spicing the original melody up a bit without straying too far from the original progression), but that one has to be my favorite. Another Doom midi remix I really like is Nobody Told Me About Plutonia, this one made by @Jimmy for Plutonia 2. That one follows D_E2M8's progression rather faithfully, and yet manages to make it sound considerably unique.

I'm sure there's been plenty more good midi remixes/covers/mashups of IWAD music made over the years, though. I'd like to discover some more. Are there any you found particularly memorable?

Old school megawad Strain has mashup of several iwad music tracks, it's called "The Hell 'Prince' Medley":

I really like the song used for E1M2 in Double Impact. No idea who did it but it's a great rendition of the music from E1M3.

I've also always liked Plunge Saw by Bucket.

Edit: Wow so the video description answered it for me "The music track is Ralph's own remix of E2M2"

It's a remix of E1M3, with E1M5 and E2M2 mixed in! Sweet. That's got to be my favorite out of the three posted so far.

E1M9 also kicks in at the same time as E2M2.

I remember a thread asking people what their favorite MIDIs by Jimmy were, and at the time I nominated Evil Incarcerated, the Map31 music from Doom 2 in Name Only. I think nowadays I'd nominate Adrenaline in the Blood from Sigil, but that's not what this thread's about.

14 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

I liked that one on the first level of Icarus that quoted Doom II's map 10 song

I was just about to cite this one haha. Nice and original whilst simultaneously capturing what made Prince’s track so good. Here’s a video for anyone interested:

The sampled portion begins at 2:43.

Classic.

The song also 'borrows' a riff from the Rush song Natural Science (weirdly enough, BOTH at 2:21) -  

(I would've said 'ripped off' instead of 'borrowed', but then again, the original Doom soundtrack did a lot of 'borrowing' from Pantera, Alice In Chains etc, so I guess it's fitting)

I haven't run into many remakes, but I recently stumbled upon Hades' Walls by Jimmy in his midi pack which I thought was a great remix of E3M1 music (As in, making it sound interesting despite still being the same riff on the loop)

Plutonia 2 has a good remix of Plutonia's map32 track "Plunge saw" which is also based on "Nobody told me about id"

There's also another remix from Plutonia revisited that emulates the snes style:

I'd rather listen to the P2 version than the PR version becuase it feels closer to the original.